Are Grain Dust Particles Explosive Due to Static Electricity?

• Thread starter doc.madani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary, grain dust particles are explosive due to the large surface area which allows for a rapid combustion process. This is also the case with other fine dust particles, such as coal and metal dust. Asbestos dust can also potentially be explosive due to the ability for its compounds to react with oxygen. However, dust particles do require an igniter or a source of static electricity in order to combust.
doc.madani
I realize that this topic is more towards chemistry however i was wondering why grain dust particles are explosive. Is there any carbon atoms in the dust particles that fuel these explosions?

Physics news on Phys.org
doc.madani said:
I realize that this topic is more towards chemistry however i was wondering why grain dust particles are explosive. Is there any carbon atoms in the dust particles that fuel these explosions?
Are you asking if organic molecules contain carbon atoms? Yes, they do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_compound

It is mostly kinetics of combustion - there is a huge surface on which combustion can take place, so it happens very fast. Same story with coal dust.

--
methods

Same with almost any dust. I've read (although with no source attached) that you could make asbestos dust explode if it were fine enough. Certainly this is the case for fine metalic dusts

Not any dust - it has to be able to react with oxygen giving off heat. Otherwise it won't work (which makes me strongly doubt asbestos idea).

--
methods

Sounds right. The article was pointing out that even elements or compounds which only react very reluctantly with oxygen (which leaves me with visions of teenager type elements sitting in a corner refusing to react) will do so explosively when in dust form.

A quick wiki search shows that there are at least 3 different types of asbestos - all chemically very different. My A-Level chemistry didn't prepare me well enough to deal with reactions of
Na2Fe2+3Fe3+2Si8O22(OH)2
(Blue Asbestos)!

do these dust particles require an igniter or can they simply combust through their own kinetic energy through friction?

Never heard about them exploding without ignition.

--
methods

mjcguest said:
Na2Fe2+3Fe3+2Si8O22(OH)2
(Blue Asbestos)!

Well, Fe(II) can be oxidised to Fe(III), so perhaps there is a slight chance of reaction taking place. Which shifts my doubts from 'strong doubts' to 'just doubts' :wink:

--

doc.madani said:
do these dust particles require an igniter or can they simply combust through their own kinetic energy through friction?

Statistically very unlikely. Or simply: I don't think so.

What'd be more likely is the dust and friction causing a discharge of static electricity which could act as an ignition source.

alxm said:
Statistically very unlikely. Or simply: I don't think so.

What'd be more likely is the dust and friction causing a discharge of static electricity which could act as an ignition source.

^^ yea that makes more sense. thankyou

1. Why is grain dust explosive?

Grain dust is explosive because it is made up of fine particles that are easily dispersed in the air. When these particles are mixed with oxygen and a source of ignition, they can ignite and create an explosive atmosphere.

2. Are all types of grain dust explosive?

Yes, all types of grain dust have the potential to be explosive. However, some types of grain dust, like wheat and corn, are more prone to explosion due to their higher levels of starch and sugar content.

3. How does grain dust become explosive?

Grain dust becomes explosive when it is suspended in the air and comes into contact with a source of ignition, such as sparks, flames, or hot surfaces. The smaller the dust particles, the easier it is for them to ignite and cause an explosion.

4. Can grain dust explosions be prevented?

Yes, grain dust explosions can be prevented by implementing proper housekeeping and maintenance practices, such as regular cleaning of dust buildup and ensuring equipment is in good working condition. Additionally, using explosion-proof equipment and following safety protocols can greatly reduce the risk of explosions.

5. What are the dangers of grain dust explosions?

Grain dust explosions can cause severe damage to facilities and equipment, as well as injuries or fatalities to workers. These explosions can also lead to fires and secondary explosions, which can further escalate the damage and danger. It is important to take preventive measures to avoid these potential hazards.