Bridge Card Game: Finding the Probability of Spades & One-Suit Hands

• Thread starter davedave
  • Start date
In summary, the probability of one player being dealt all 13 spades is 1 out of the total number of ways to choose 13 cards from a deck of 52. For the probability of a player holding a hand with only one suit, since there are 4 different suits, the probability is 4 divided by the total number of ways to choose 13 cards from a deck of 52.
davedave
In the game of bridge, four players are dealt 13 cards each from a well-shuffled deck of 52 playing cards.

(a)What is the probability that one of the players is dealt all the spades?
(b)What is the probability that one of the players holds a hand that is made up of only one suit?

(a) There is only one way to choose all 13 spades.
52C13 ways to choose any 13 cards
So, 1/(52C13)

(b) Since there are 4 different suits, the probability is 4/(52C13).

Does anyone know why my answers are wrong? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hihi davedave! :smile:
davedave said:
In the game of bridge, four players are dealt 13 cards each from a well-shuffled deck of 52 playing cards.

(a)What is the probability that one of the players is dealt all the spades?
(b)What is the probability that one of the players holds a hand that is made up of only one suit?

i think they mean any one of the players (ie, not a particular player) :wink:

1. Why am I getting the wrong answers?

There could be several reasons for getting wrong answers, such as not fully understanding the concept, making calculation errors, or using incorrect data or assumptions. It is important to carefully review your work and check for any mistakes.

2. How can I improve my accuracy in finding the correct answers?

To improve accuracy, it is essential to have a strong understanding of the topic and pay attention to details. Double-checking your work and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any common mistakes that lead to wrong answers?

Yes, some common mistakes include misinterpreting the question, using the wrong formula or equation, and not showing all the steps in your work. It is crucial to carefully read and understand the question and use the correct methods and formulas.

4. How can I avoid making the same mistake again?

Making a mistake is a part of the learning process. To avoid making the same mistake again, take note of the mistake and understand what caused it. Practicing similar problems and seeking feedback from a teacher or peer can also help in preventing the same mistake in the future.

5. Should I be concerned if I consistently get wrong answers?

If you consistently get wrong answers, it is essential to seek help from a teacher or tutor. It could be an indication that you need to review the material or that there is a gap in your understanding of the topic. With practice and guidance, you can improve and achieve the correct answers.