Why are people so OBSESSED with books now a days?

• Thread starter 27Thousand
  • Start date
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The teacher in me needs to say: "You mean 'least precise.' The 9.8 part is very accurate."
[/hairsplittling]
It is encouraging that some teachers do not hesitate to hand out well-deserved F's.

I stand humbled (and hopefully, corrected).

Although that speculation I had about dropping them off a cliff wasn't something I read in a book, I think there is some good that comes from formal education. I never believe something just because it's in writing or in a book. It's more reasonable to look at the source, and peer-review journals are better. Since what you learn in academia is peer-reviewed by other experts, it's as a general rule more credible than stuff you see floating around. Then of course formal education only correlates with innovation to an intermediate level and then after that there's no correlation (well actually depending upon the area you're in). People who are great at innovation usually have more "self-education" than formal education. Coming from a variety of sources more than just what you learn in class can help you be a more flexible thinker. However, having a basic level of "formal education" may be desired, because there's the correlation to the intermediate level.

Einstein was thought to be lazy by his professors and he didn't go to class much and had his own agenda. However, he was very very self-educated, would browse through Science Encyclopedias like crazy when he was a child, and still had some formal education, a "doctorate degree". Although he did poorly in some subjects and failed some entrance exams, he did extremely extremely well in other areas of academia. It's not like he was an idiot with no education.

I could be wrong, but saying that you're going to have no education at all could turn your mind into rubbish? I mean, I met this one dude once in a trailer park who seemed very close to believing the world is flat. Not to sound bragging, but I'm glad I'm not him.