Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are Professors Always Grumpy?

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    Ok, not all professors are grumpy, and those that are are not so all the time. But I mean give me a break! Today I asked my prof. for my dynamics course about a certain question in the tutorial, and he replied "Do you go over your notes aat the end of the day?" To which I said no, as I usually do that over the weekend. He then started telling me how, that if I summarise and go over my notes everyday, ones' marks will go from 30% to 80%.
    He justified this remark by saying it had happened to a girl in a course he was lecturing, who got 20% in the mid-year exam to 80% in the final exam by following his advice.
    Now that's all good and fine, and I certainly believe him, but was he insinuating that I am stupid with that comment? I mean, I got eighty-something in the mid-year exams.
    And further, he was also helping out some other bunch of people who were stuck on the same problem, but he never made such a comment, and I had actually gotten further in the problem than them.
    So what's the deal, does he think I am stupid or not? Or just grumpy?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps he'd just got sick of telling everyone the same thing. There could be a million and one reasons for his being grumpy. However, I'll give you one piece of advice: never answer such a question as you did with "no." That's like him asking "did you do your homework tonight" and you answering "no!"

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3
    Take his advise and you will get 320% in the final.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #4
    Go over your notes before you speak then.

6. Sep 7, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's more likely the point, and what was bugging him, if he was just inundated by people all asking the same question if the approach to the solution was covered thoroughly in the class notes and nobody has bothered to read them before asking him for help.

7. Sep 7, 2007 #6
    Hey, I had gone over my notes, it turns out, I was just missing a scaling term in my solution, ie. an 'r' somewhere, then he goes on this long rant about cramming the night before, and ''you're going to fail, and second and third year will be impossible'' blah-blah-blah.
    And tutors too, usually cranky when you ask thm something, even though they are paid to be there. Anyhoos, it's all hunky-dory.

8. Sep 7, 2007 #7
    Just point out mistakes he makes on the board, constantly. :devil:

I will say this. I had one professor who was like that. He was a good teacher, but pretty arrogant. Actually, very arrogant. It was a junior/senior course so he didnt say the things your teacher said, but he was very arrogant. So I made it a point to correct him in the middle of the class of 60-70 people as much as possible. Eventually, he stopped calling on me when I raised my hand because he knew what was coming. I still got an A in the class too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  9. Sep 7, 2007 #8
    Haha, it's unbelievably how many tiny mistakes professors or anyone else who is explaining something makes. They usually fix them within 10 or 20 seconds, so it would be devastating if the instant they made a mistake "HAHHAHA YOU IDIOT, THATS SUPPOSED TO BE A TWO NOT A ONE!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA LOOK OVER YOUR NOTES BEFORE CLASS, YOUR RATE OF ERROR MAKING WILL GO DOWN FIVE FOLD AHAHAHA MUAHA!"

10. Sep 7, 2007 #9

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IMO, he's just trying to help you do better. Just take the advice, and ignore the rest.

11. Sep 7, 2007 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really don't know.

Is it possible he was paying you a compliment? Maybe he thought you were more capable of learning by self-study than the others.

Just trying to look at things from all angles.

12. Sep 7, 2007 #11
    Some teachers are simply A-holes. The teacher I had *no one* liked. Not a single person in the class. I dont even think other faculty liked him.

13. Sep 7, 2007 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So are some students. :biggrin:

Any category - teachers, students, engineers, doctors, etc. - runs the gamut (from bad to good) in terms of characteristics and qualities of people. Also, it's fairly easy (for anyone) to have a bad day, hour, or minute.

14. Sep 7, 2007 #13
    No, this guy was an A-hole the entire semester. You'd go to this office and ask him a question and he would respond with a question, "I dont know, you tell me?"

15. Sep 7, 2007 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking more in terms of gspeechc's example. Maybe his prof had a bad couple of minutes. You (or anyone) can say that it shouldn't have happened, but everyone is human, and thus gets frustrated at times.

16. Sep 7, 2007 #15
    Oh that is a pet peeve of mine! I had a prof that did that to. I would go to his office to ask him a question, thoroughly explain to him what the problem was, what I thought about it, showed all the work I had been able to do at the time, and ask a specific question about where I was getting hung up and his response......"I don't know, you tell me?!" Needless to say I didn't get much help from him.

On the plus side I am really lucky this year. All of my professors are amazing so far!!!!

17. Sep 7, 2007 #16
    Makes ya wanna smack them in the face, eh?

18. Sep 8, 2007 #17

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

*** you! what do you mean??!!

we are never grumpy!!!

and if yuou dont like that you can ^^&&%%$$$$##@!!!!!

and never come to my office hours again!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  19. Sep 8, 2007 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, but when he asked you if you went over the notes, you answered "no." That's all he had to go on. As George Jones pointed out, maybe he knows you're capable of doing better and this was his way of pushing you to achieve your maximum potential. He might expect you're pulling a B and thinks you're doing that without really working, so figures if he pushes you to review your notes more often, keep up on things and not wait until the last minute, etc., that you could be the A student in the class. It may be why he was shorter with you than the other cluster of students asking essentially the same question...he might be resigned to them being mediocre students, but wants to push you harder to be a top student.

20. Sep 8, 2007 #19
    Yea, I think he's not the grumpy type. He was just grumpy at that moment at me, which is unusual, because I had never seen him grumpy with anyone else before. What is it with Applied Maths professors? They're always angry at me. I've had 3 so far this year, and omg, the 2nd one really had it out for me. Shouting at me in tutorials and telling me to shut up. Yes, he really said 'shut up' to me. I don't have any problem with the professors from other departments. Are Applied Mathematicians a special breed of professors or what? Makes me think twice about majoring in Applied Maths.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  21. Sep 8, 2007 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK.

How many professors and TAs etc get annoyed with you, specifically you? IF it is more than one, and especially if it is more than two, then you might want to look inward.
    Speculation: Are you you particularly interested in your math classes, so much that you regularly ask questions, and then pursue the answers with ongoing details? While in other classes, you sit with a more mild attitude? Unless that one professor tells a lot of kids to "shut up," then I'm thinking there's one student who isn't aware of how interrupting he can be.

In my experience, some of my most exhausting students have been the ones most interested in the subject; they can continuously drag out a simple concept and consume vast quantities of class time with inappropriate detail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?