Why Are Rockets Round? An Exploration

• Thread starter jeffonfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rockets
In summary, the conversation discusses the shape of rockets and why they are typically cylindrical. The main reasons are that cylindrical structures have the least surface area for the enclosed volume, making them strong and lightweight, and they are also aerodynamically stable when flying through the atmosphere. While there are some examples of non-cylindrical designs, they are usually for specific purposes and not as common. Additionally, the conversation touches on the differences between rocket nozzles and thrust vectoring nozzles, and the fact that not all reaction propulsion devices are considered rockets. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and thought that goes into designing rockets and their components.
jeffonfire
Why are rockets round? Why not triangular, would it not be easier to make in some ways?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cylindrical structures have the least surface area for the enclosed volume, and they are very strong.

Minimization of weight as well as pressure vessels do not like sharp corners. Also, rockets do have to fly through our atmosphere before entering space so there is need for aerodynamic stability.

I've recently seen a design by a major airframer that used a trapdezodial body shape. I can't remember the reasonings, I would assume packaging, but I believe that there were aerodynamic reasons as well. I can't remember the program, but I think it's findable through Google.

minger said:
I've recently seen a design by a major airframer that used a trapdezodial body shape. I can't remember the reasonings, I would assume packaging, but I believe that there were aerodynamic reasons as well. I can't remember the program, but I think it's findable through Google.

Probably the implementation of a 'lifting body'.

KM

What's a 'rocket' that the Space Scuttle is not, and it is not 'round'? The Apollo Lunar Module was not round.

...and the SRBs and the Saturn V that put them into space?

I was looking for counterexamples to the universally quantified 'rockets [are] round'.

As the ancillary machinery is conceptually removed, the limit is the nozzle and usually round for reasons cited above. But note the not-round thrust vectoring nozzles on high performance jet engines. Both rocket motors and jet engines are reaction motors.

Based on the way physicists usually approach problems, one might wonder why they are cylindrical and not perfectly round, frictionless spheres?

Doug Huffman said:
But note the not-round thrust vectoring nozzles on high performance jet engines. Both rocket motors and jet engines are reaction motors.
The design criteria for a thrust vectoring nozzle and a rocket nozzle are drastically different. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are attached to a propulsion device. Just about the only rocket nozzle that isn't round is the aerospike and that has never flown.

They're not both reaction motors?

An "aerospike", indeed, many Trident SLBM have flown.

minger said:
I've recently seen a design by a major airframer that used a trapdezodial body shape.
Cruise missiles Taurus, AGM-86s ALCM, Storm Shadow; all subsonic powered by air breathing reaction motors.

Doug Huffman said:
Cruise missiles Taurus, AGM-86s ALCM, Storm Shadow; all subsonic powered by air breathing reaction motors.
And have nothing to do with being a rocket. Again, just because they are reaction propulsion, they are completely different in their operation and environment.

1. Why are rockets round?

Rockets are round in order to minimize drag and maximize stability during flight. A round shape creates less resistance against the air, allowing the rocket to travel faster and more efficiently.

2. Could rockets be shaped differently to improve their performance?

Yes, rockets can be designed with different shapes depending on their purpose. For example, some rockets used for space exploration have a more cylindrical shape to maximize the amount of cargo they can carry. However, for most rockets, a round shape is the most optimal for achieving high speeds and stability.

3. What other factors contribute to the round shape of rockets?

In addition to minimizing drag, a round shape also helps evenly distribute the weight and fuel of the rocket, making it easier to control and maneuver. It also allows for a more streamlined design, reducing the amount of structural stress on the rocket during liftoff and flight.

4. Are there any downsides to using a round shape for rockets?

While a round shape is generally the most efficient for rockets, it does have some limitations. For example, a round shape may not provide enough surface area for certain types of propulsion systems, such as wings or fins. This is why some rockets may have a combination of round and flat surfaces to accommodate different needs.

5. How has the design of rockets changed over time?

The design of rockets has evolved significantly over time, from the earliest gunpowder rockets to modern day space shuttles. In the past, rockets were often more cylindrical or cone-shaped, but as technology advanced, designers were able to better understand the aerodynamics of rocket flight and optimize their shapes for maximum efficiency.