Why are some elements conductors and magnetic, while others are not?

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of electrons in relation to electric charge and conduction. It is suggested to look into solid-state physics books for a better understanding, specifically the Drude model. These books are typically reserved for high school students, but alternatives such as simplified models can also be explored.
LogicalAcid
I am a bit unfamiliar on this subject, but I know it has to do with the movement of electrons. From what I know, each atom has its own electric charge, metals are good electric conductors because the atoms have good current, so the charges can move from atom to atom easier. My question is, what determines the way these charges move from atom to atom and how does this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to understand quantum mechanics for this one.

Hi,

Just look into some solid-state physics books..all are explained there..
cheers

Rajini said:
Hi,

Just look into some solid-state physics books..all are explained there..
cheers[/QUOTE
Sorry, probably didn't tell you the following:
- I am not in High School yet, therefore it is hard to obtain these books due to the library reserving them for actual High school students ( you need to provide proof your a high school student in order to check them out.

atomic model for conduction?

hi guys, do you know where can i find an atomic level model\graphic for the process of conduction.
I have cracked my head trying to visualize how EXACTLY is the energy being transferred and how does it vary with length,temp&area.

Open any solid state physics textbook, such as Kittel of Ashcroft and Mermin. You might want to start with the simplified model of the Drude model.

Zz.

1. Why are some elements conductors?

Some elements, such as metals, have a high number of free electrons in their outermost energy level. These electrons are able to move freely through the material, allowing it to conduct electricity.

2. What makes an element magnetic?

An element is magnetic because it has unpaired electrons in its outermost energy level. These electrons create a magnetic field when they spin, causing the element to be attracted to magnets.

3. Why are some elements not conductors or magnetic?

Elements that are not conductors or magnetic typically have a full outer energy level, meaning all of their electrons are paired and do not create a magnetic field or allow for the flow of electricity.

4. Can an element be both a conductor and magnetic?

Yes, some elements, such as iron, are both good conductors of electricity and magnetic. This is because they have both unpaired electrons and a high number of free electrons in their outer energy level.

5. How does the atomic structure of an element affect its conductivity and magnetism?

The number of electrons in an element's outer energy level and whether or not they are paired or unpaired determines its conductivity and magnetism. Elements with a high number of free electrons and unpaired electrons are more likely to be conductors and magnetic, while those with a full outer energy level are not.