Why are teenage boys such jerks?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teen
In summary, it is generally accepted that teenage boys are perceived as jerks due to high levels of testosterone. However, a recent TV program pointed out that a man's sexual peak based on testosterone levels is actually around 35, not 18. This raises the question of why teenage boys act out and are more uncivilized compared to men in their 30s. It could be due to adolescence and the struggle for independence and power, as well as a lack of experience in knowing how to gain respect. Some adolescents also feel entitled and superior, leading them to disdain others. There may also be a lack of consequences for their behavior, as they have little to lose in high school. However, as they grow older, they may learn to
ShawnD
Science Advisor
It's somewhat generally accepted that teenage boys are jerks because of high testosterone levels. I just saw a program on TV about sex, and there was a chart showing average testosterone levels as men age. The program pointed out that a man's sexual peak based on testosterone levels is not at 18, it's actually around 35. 18 year olds have about as much testosterone as 60 year old men.
If men have the most testosterone in their 30s, why are most men in their 30s more civilized than teenagers? What makes teen boys such jerks?

Biology news on Phys.org
Is it just boys? Teen girls can be real byatches! I know I was one!
I think it's just adoloescence. Teenagers act out as a way of asserting their independence.

I also think that they are often trying to gain power and want to do it without being seen as a teachers pet. They also don't have much experience as to what gets results and what doesn't when it comes to trying to become respected. They often don't like being at the mercy of adults in the power struggle either, often feeling that the adults are keeping all the good stuff for themselves, like alcohol, sex, cigarettes, nice cars, high paying jobs etcetera. Some of them see their life as getting a job they hate or having to sell out to those who are in power, which are people who are going to get rich off of their work. Also, some adolescents feel special and that this gives them the right to disdain all that are not as special as them. Just some ramblings as to what might be why teenagers are often jerks. :smile:

As a teenage boy, I can tell you that I am a jerk to people because I don't like them, simple as that. Being a jerk to random people in your high school will likely never end up mattering (unless they go nuts and shoot you), and so I act however I want to my classmates. I'd imagine guys in their 30's would calm down because they've found jobs, and being a jerk could get them fired, or make them have a very miserable life for the next few decades, wheras in less than 2 years, I'll never see anyone in my high school again besides maybe 2 or 3 people.

You know, I never thought of that, but that certainly makes sense. A teenager has little to lose by being a jerk, and heck, sometimes the most popular kids at school are complete a-holes. Adults usually have to at least pretend to be polite in order to get ahead.

loseyourname said:
A teenager has little to lose by being a jerk, and heck, sometimes the most popular kids at school are complete a-holes.
I wish that by being an a-hole that meant popularity/girls, alas, I'm a lonely, bitter bastard at the tender age of 16, woah is me :cry:

LOL, well try nice for a change!

But i guess your right.
That and indeed puberty kicking around.

You mean they eventually grow out of it? :tongue2: Ha ha!

Having testosterone around will cause a lot of feelings and impulses, and when those are all new, it's harder to control those feelings. Puberty is an emotional roller-coaster for both men and women. Along with the reproductive hormones showing up on the scene, there are the moods those hormones affect, the brain actually starts to undergo some long-term changes as well (some associated with the reproductive system starting up, and others related to the growth spurt and trying to maintain motor control and proprioception). Plus, there are a lot of changes in physical appearance as well that take some getting used to, and that can lead to social awkwardness and self-esteem issues when someone isn't certain of just what to expect. I think, especially for those teens who are the first and last to experience puberty, they go through a period of time when they look very different from all their other same-aged peers, either because they've already developed adult characteristics while all their peers still look like children, or because they still look like a child while all their peers have developed adult characteristics. Plus, there's dealing with annoying things like acne...at a time when you're suddenly interested in being noticed by the opposite sex and want to impress them, out pop all those red bumps all over your face! It's a lot to deal with all at one time.

heheh, thank god, never did acne trouble me :P

One word. Immaturity. When they grow up to be men, if they do grow up to be men. They will grow out of it. Wasteo, even you will probably grow out of it. LOL

Nautica

nautica said:
One word. Immaturity. When they grow up to be men, if they do grow up to be men. They will grow out of it. Wasteo, even you will probably grow out of it. LOL

Nautica

Do they? When Ted Kasinski, the Unabomber, was in HS some of the Jocks locked him in his locker. Some psychologists thought that might be one of the sources of his murderous anger. So they looked up the jocks, now grown and in some cases quite successful men. And the men said just what they would have said as teens. "We were just having a little fun." The personhood of Kasinski was nothing to them; he was just an object to have fun with. I think jerks are forever.

There was a recent documentary aired about the scientific studies on the teenage brain. Unfortunately, I have only taped it and not yet had the chance to watch it. But supposedly (from the previews), there are actual physical/chemical differences in the way the teenage brain operates as compared to an adult brain.

So, social immaturity may be a big part of it, but there may be a physical immaturity that comes into play too.

nautica said:

Nautica
I'm immature for life, I'll be making crude jokes about genitles when I'm a grandpa.

Thats odd. Being a teenager myself I never meant any harm towards anyone. Even if I was a jerk to someone, I probably didnt mean it or it was unintentional. But I do see a major comparison in personalities between the mild-mannered cross country team (of which I am a part of, at most they make innuendo now and then) and the JV/Varsity football team (constant egotistical superiority, etc).

Then again, I am an oddball and I don't quite fit into society. Square peg in round hole.

Does this mean I am suitable for getting ahead in the business world? :tongue2:

Probably as a techie, but not as a manager. I have been a manager and was not happy in the role because of the jerk factor. It wasn't that others were jerks toward me, I can handle that. It was that to succeed I had to be a jerk to others. Mr. Nice Guy finishes last in management.

To who ever started this post? I'm assuming you are female since you don't understand males as easily as I do. I'm a male around the age of 20, and I can tell you that males can be quite disagreeable at times. Well, first of all males and females are like two completely different species. While females are interested in handling problems through debating and thinking, males are into trial and error. When communicating with a young male "jerk" you must realize that his body is not yet familiar with the sudden surge in hormones at this stage. You say that 18 year old males have the same testosterone levels as 60 year old males. You have to realize that by the time a male reaches that age he is able to control his actions more easily. Also at that age males tend to have an increase in estrogen as well, hence the softening of the voice, and the more caring nature of older males. Men ages 13-25 have testosterone levels much higher than their estrogen levels. But this doesn't effect a person's attitude as much as the way they grew up. Males are socially inept to behaving rough and dominant. Society teaches young men to behave as dominators and tough beings. So they do what is best to portray that image that society has imbedded in their feeble minds. You must realize that men are not built physically for excellent communication as women are because of the large gap between the two hemispheres in the brain. So that a-hole is being a jerk to you because he may have some animosity towards you, or he may not like you. He might even like you. But not all males are jerks, and the attitude that you see in some males is not always contributed by their hormone levels. Sometimes that’s the personality of those individuals. Do not always assume anything about a certain set of people, that’s called generalization. So your question about why teenage boys are jerks? should be why that fellow is a jerk to you.

Do they? When Ted Kasinski, the Unabomber, was in HS some of the Jocks locked him in his locker. Some psychologists thought that might be one of the sources of his murderous anger.

B.S.

People get stuffed in lockers all the time, and they don't turn into Psychotic murders. Some people get tortured at school, beaten up and get their things stolen.

Are they all murders?

Maybe The unabomber was always angry and bitter, and that's why he was a target at school.

Getting stuffed into a locker isn't an excuse to blow things up.

motai said:
Thats odd. Being a teenager myself I never meant any harm towards anyone. Even if I was a jerk to someone, I probably didnt mean it or it was unintentional. But I do see a major comparison in personalities between the mild-mannered cross country team (of which I am a part of, at most they make innuendo now and then) and the JV/Varsity football team (constant egotistical superiority, etc).

You always amaze me, Motai, because even though you're young, you always seem so kind and wise beyond your years. I can't help but wonder, how do you deal with the jerks around you at school? Do you just avoid them? Do you ever have to confront them?

(I have a little brother who is not much older than you and he is perpetually tormented by some really evil, vicious kids at his school. :mad: I wish I had some good advice to give him.)

Dagenais said:
Getting stuffed into a locker isn't an excuse to blow things up.
It certainly can't help. What kind of moron would do that to another person? How were they raised? Doesn't say much about their parents or their upbringing. Children learn at an early age what is right and what is wrong. Some will rebel at control, but that kind of behavior is not rebelion, it is a basic lack of respect for a fellow human's feelings and is inexcusable.

I also doubt this was the only indignation this person suffered. No excuse for his actions, but others are culpable as well.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
Do they? When Ted Kasinski, the Unabomber, was in HS some of the Jocks locked him in his locker. Some psychologists thought that might be one of the sources of his murderous anger. So they looked up the jocks, now grown and in some cases quite successful men. And the men said just what they would have said as teens. "We were just having a little fun." The personhood of Kasinski was nothing to them; he was just an object to have fun with. I think jerks are forever.

hence the statement: "if they do grow up to be men"

Nautica

Aaah...snarky!

Math Is Hard said:
You always amaze me, Motai, because even though you're young, you always seem so kind and wise beyond your years. I can't help but wonder, how do you deal with the jerks around you at school? Do you just avoid them? Do you ever have to confront them?

(I have a little brother who is not much older than you and he is perpetually tormented by some really evil, vicious kids at his school. :mad: I wish I had some good advice to give him.)

I just leave them be. I try to respect them as much as humanly possible, but sometimes they go too far. For instance, one time two of them during a band party recently came up behind me and threw me into the swimming pool... unfortunately my cell phone and wallet was in my pocket, the cell phone is now ruined. I am still angry at them, but I know they probably won't mature for a very long time. I just put distance between myself and them.

Its rather lonely seperating yourself from the rest of society, but at least then you don't have to deal with how people think of you. I never fit in the first place, and it would probably be better for me if I don't even attempt to fit into a social clique.

As for dealing with them, be polite as much as possible but if they incite further aggression (almost to point of physical contact) then run. Its not worth getting into. They are probably full of testosterone and are looking for a fight, best to avoid those type of situations. I know people say that its better to face the situation rather than run, but in this case, its only high school and its not like these people will give you problems in the future.

Thanks for your advice. I am so-o-o-o glad this is my bro's last year of high school.

What kind of moron would do that to another person?

Someone that's bored and thinks it's funny. They may be morons, but ask yourself, who's the one being stuffed in the locker?

Doesn't say much about their parents or their upbringing.

There's always someone to blame, whether it be bad parents, a bad childhood, abuse etc.

Maybe it was just the kids fault. Some children can be extremely rebellious and violent.

Children learn at an early age what is right and what is wrong.

A lot of that is opinionated. For instance, some children are taught that racism is right, because is in their parents' mind, it is right.

Some kids are taught not to lie because that's wrong, when really, lying can be the right thing to do at times.

It's all perspective.

(I have a little brother who is not much older than you and he is perpetually tormented by some really evil, vicious kids at his school. I wish I had some good advice to give him.)

Taking self-defense or martial arts always helps with physical bullies.

If the kids are physically harming him, it may be the most effective choice. If he can defend himself well, the kids will leave him alone.

For instance, one time two of them during a band party recently came up behind me and threw me into the swimming pool...

I assume you live in the suburbs?

A lot of inner city band members are tough, and usually people that are willing to fight you. The same with some large competitive University bands.

I remember seeing a sports show in which a band member was purposely run over by an opposing team's football player because he was on the field within the last seconds of play (the game was basically over), but the opposing team made like a 95 yard kick return.

In which one of the hosts said, "If they pulled that on my old Universities band members, he would have had his a$$ kicked." In which clips were shown of band members fighting each other.

In some places, band members are not to be screwed with.

They are probably full of testosterone and are looking for a fight, best to avoid those type of situations. I know people say that its better to face the situation rather than run, but in this case, its only high school and its not like these people will give you problems in the future.

Hmm...I've had older students threaten to hurt me before.

For example, a long time ago, I'd be in class, talking to my friends, then they'd all of a sudden an idiot would cut in, insult me and tell me they'd punch me if I talked again. Just out of nowhere, they'd do this. I figured he was drunk...or high.

He never talked me like that again after I told him that I just finished winning a Tae Kwon Do tournament, and if he really wanted to fight - then fine. He looked at me, then turned away. They always pick on the weak. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your advice. I am so-o-o-o glad this is my bro's last year of high school.

Senior year can be the roughest. The students are older and larger.

I'd hate to imagine how badly one is treated during Senior year. :uhh:

Think about self-defense. Judo is an extremely effective form of defense that usually won't harm the victim, aside from a few welts and maybe a bruised ego. An example: Motai knew Judo to the intermediate level, and some football player tried to grab him and throw him in a pool, he could have easily countered at the "grab" part, and slammed the moron right into the water. :rofl:

Of course, there is always a chance that the Martial Artist gets over-confident and then, seeks fights. But that's rare.

wasteofo2 said:
As a teenage boy, I can tell you that I am a jerk to people because I don't like them, simple as that. Being a jerk to random people in your high school will likely never end up mattering (unless they go nuts and shoot you), and so I act however I want to my classmates. I'd imagine guys in their 30's would calm down because they've found jobs, and being a jerk could get them fired, or make them have a very miserable life for the next few decades, wheras in less than 2 years, I'll never see anyone in my high school again besides maybe 2 or 3 people.

Yes sir it will end up mattering. What if you develop brain cancer and when you go in for surgery the brain surgeon is a kid that you bullied on in high school? It could happen. People have feelings.doesn't matter how big or small they are everyone matters. Guys in their 30 have hopefully outgrown some of the childish things boys do, it's not just b/c they fould jobs and don't want to be fired. it's because they should have actually grown up a bit from since thay were in high school. You don't know what the future holds and how many of those ppl you'll depend on in your future.Please reconsider...because you are terribly wrong!

sara lane said:
Yes sir it will end up mattering. What if you develop brain cancer and when you go in for surgery the brain surgeon is a kid that you bullied on in high school? It could happen. People have feelings.doesn't matter how big or small they are everyone matters. Guys in their 30 have hopefully outgrown some of the childish things boys do, it's not just b/c they fould jobs and don't want to be fired. it's because they should have actually grown up a bit from since thay were in high school. You don't know what the future holds and how many of those ppl you'll depend on in your future.Please reconsider...because you are terribly wrong!

I've seen necroposting, but this thread is close to 6 years old.

It all looked so normal, until I came to Self-Adjoint's post... :bugeye: :bugeye:

Makes my hair stand on-end every time.

1. Why do teenage boys act like jerks?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to teenage boys acting like jerks. It could be due to peer pressure, societal expectations, or even hormonal changes. Additionally, teenage boys are still learning how to navigate their emotions and may not have developed proper coping mechanisms yet.

2. Is it just a phase for teenage boys to act like jerks?

It is common for teenagers, both boys and girls, to go through a rebellious phase during their adolescent years. This can manifest in different ways, such as acting out or being disrespectful. However, it is important for parents and guardians to address and guide their behavior in a positive direction.

3. Do teenage boys intentionally want to be jerks?

Most teenage boys do not intentionally want to be jerks. As mentioned previously, they may be going through a challenging period of development and may not have the maturity or emotional intelligence to handle situations in the best way. It is important to communicate and understand their perspective rather than labeling them as intentionally malicious.

4. Can parents do anything to prevent their teenage boys from acting like jerks?

While parents cannot fully control their teenage boys' actions, they can create a supportive and nurturing environment that encourages positive behavior. This includes setting clear boundaries and consequences, promoting open communication, and modeling respectful behavior themselves.

5. Will teenage boys eventually grow out of their jerk phase?

Every teenage boy is different, and their behavior will depend on various factors such as their upbringing, environment, and personal experiences. Some may grow out of their jerk phase as they mature and gain a better understanding of themselves and others. It is important for parents to continue guiding and supporting their teenage boys through these developmental stages.