Why are the eigenvectors the axes of an ellipse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of eigenvectors and eigenvalues to solve for the length and direction of a vector in a linear transformation. The eigenvectors correspond to the minor and major axis of the transformation, and by using them as a basis, the linear transformation can be represented by a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal. This allows for the equation to be simplified to determine the length of the vector. The question remains on why the eigenvectors point in the direction of the minor and major axis'.
kostoglotov
I'm almost there in terms of understanding it, but I need to go beyond the text.

Here is the example problem:

UMj55tF.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/UMj55tF.jpg

I can see that where we have [itex]1 = \vec{x}^T A \vec{x} = \lambda \vec{x}^T \vec{x}[/itex] that [itex]1=\lambda \vec{x}^T \vec{x} = \lambda ||\vec{x}||^2[/itex]

so [tex]||\vec{x}|| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\lambda}}[/tex]

and I understand that the length of the vector [itex]||\vec{x}||[/itex] will have min and max values when pointing along the minor and major axis'.

What I cannot prove to myself, or see the reason behind, is why the eigenvectors that you would solve for would be pointing in the direction of the minor and major axis'. Why is that? What is the reason for that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the Eigenvectors as a basis, the linear transformation corresponds to a diagonal matrix. Another way of putting that is that, creating the matrix S, having the eigenvectors as columns, such that [itex]A= S^TAS[/itex] and where D is a diagonal matrix, having the eigenvalues on the diagonal. Then [itex]x^TAx= x^T(S^TD)x= (Sx)^TD(Sx)= 1[/itex]. So the equation becomes [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & y \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\lambda_1 & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda_2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \lambda_1x^2+ \lambda_2^2= 1[/tex].

1. Why are eigenvectors the axes of an ellipse?

Eigenvectors are the axes of an ellipse because they represent the directions along which the ellipse is stretched or compressed. When we apply a linear transformation to a unit circle, the eigenvectors of the transformation are the directions in which the circle is stretched or compressed. Since an ellipse is a stretched or compressed circle, its axes are the eigenvectors of the transformation.

2. How do eigenvectors relate to the shape of an ellipse?

Eigenvectors are directly related to the shape of an ellipse because they determine the directions in which the ellipse is stretched or compressed. The magnitude of the eigenvalues associated with each eigenvector also determines the amount of stretching or compression in that direction. This allows us to understand and predict the shape of an ellipse based on its eigenvectors and eigenvalues.

3. Can any two eigenvectors form the axes of an ellipse?

No, not any two eigenvectors can form the axes of an ellipse. Eigenvectors must be orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other in order to represent the axes of an ellipse. This is because an ellipse is a symmetric shape and its axes must be perpendicular to each other. Only orthogonal eigenvectors can fully describe the shape and orientation of an ellipse.

4. How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues used to transform a circle into an ellipse?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are used to transform a circle into an ellipse by representing the stretching and compressing directions and magnitudes of the transformation. The eigenvectors determine the directions of stretching or compression, while the eigenvalues determine the amount of stretching or compression in each direction. By applying these transformations to a unit circle, we can create an ellipse with the same shape and orientation as the original transformation.

5. Can the eigenvectors of a transformation change the orientation of an ellipse?

Yes, the eigenvectors of a transformation can change the orientation of an ellipse. Eigenvectors determine the directions of stretching or compression, and the orientation of an ellipse is determined by the directions of its axes. Therefore, the eigenvectors of a transformation can change the orientation of an ellipse by changing the directions of its axes.