Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are the variables different in Hibbeler's Dynamics?

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    I am currently in a college dynamics class, and we are discussing energy and work. In other classes(calculus or physics), we have represented work, potential energy, and kinetic energy with the variables W, K, and U (respectively). However, in my dynamics book, these are represented using the variables U, V, and T (again respectively). Does anyone know the origin of these notation differences? The FE reference handbook also uses the second set, so I assume it is an engineering-only decision. Wikipedia also recognizes that kinetic energy may be used with K, T, and EK and potential with U, V, and EP but doesn't mention using U with work.

I'm extra curious because the differences are confusing some of the other students who can't see work as both U and W, and I'd love to have an explanation to help them understand better. Any help would be very appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I would assume there is no other reasoning then someone liked those letters/it made sense to someone who wrote the text. It's like the differences in ##{\rm I\!R}^3## for the standard basis vectors in physics texts, ##\hat{i},\hat{j}, \hat{k}## or the more logical (to me) ##\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{z}##.

There could be a good explanation though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook