Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are there so many posts about

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Why are there so many posts about women?

I suppose if I ever needed relationship advice about men, I could come and ask here...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The forum is mostly male.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    I've noticed, scary.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4
    why D:

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5
    It's not a male design, if that is what seems scary. Women seem naturally to have less interest in math and physics. The men who do are not particularly happy about that.

7. Apr 2, 2012 #6
    Or, I could have meant that it is scary due to the fact that I know oodles of female science/math lovers; however, it had occured to me that while they are out there, they tend to not flaunt the fact they're female and they don't travel cyberspace all that often to find conversation. I, myself, only found this forum because I was looking for something in particular related to NPTU and just happened to stumble across it. I decided it was interesting enough and joined.

I suppose though, that the forums (or blogs, or newsletters, or whathaveyou) for SWE are chalk FULL of women.

8. Apr 2, 2012 #7
    It's all about the ratio. Apparently there is always a higher proportion of men in math/science classes. For every unit oodle of women in math/science it seems there may be as much as an oodle2 of men, though I don't know why.

9. Apr 2, 2012 #8
    The debate about the men-to-women ratio in any sort of technical field has been ongoing since they allowed women higher education.

I will note that all of my math teachers in college were women, my chemistry teacher was female, and only my physics instructor was male.

10. Apr 2, 2012 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

According to a statistically significant number of cartoons, 99.9% of men in scientific fields have no social intelligence when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex. Thus, they turn to the internet for help

11. Apr 2, 2012 #10
    Time for an informal poll:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3846652#post3846652

12. Apr 2, 2012 #11
    "Nerdy" men tend to need more help with seeking women. They appear to be more shy as well, from what I've noticed atleast.

13. Apr 3, 2012 #12
    Because women are more complicated than men.
    mwmetaphor.jpg

14. Apr 3, 2012 #13
    I totally agree! But i am not saying that i hate women. In fact i love to talk about women.

15. Apr 5, 2012 #14
    There is the internet flirt factor. Online many men will glom onto any person professing themselves to be female and practically harass them with various forms of "flirtation". I've known a number of females that specifically avoid identifying themselves as such online because of this. I've become rather self conscious about this wondering if the females I interact with are thinking I am just trying to chat them up.

Also, for the relationship forum in particular, men tend to be more interested in "going after" women while women seem to be more interested in trying to get the men coming after them to go away.

16. May 30, 2012 #15
    That's kind of sexist, don't you think? I don't like the idea that women are somehow more complex or difficult to deal with simply by virtue of our femaleness.

17. May 30, 2012 #16
    Are you maintaining men are just as complex, or that women are simpler than men perceive them to be?

18. May 30, 2012 #17
    I'm maintaining that you can't make generalizations about how simple or complex any person is based simply on biological sex.

19. May 30, 2012 #18
    So you object to the joke because you think it will create a false expectation in men's minds that individual women they encounter will be more complex than they might actually end up being?

20. May 31, 2012 #19
    No, I object to the joke because it's making a sweeping and unwarranted generalization about women. We are not some kind of colossal enigma left as a puzzle for men, we're just people. I know some men find women difficult to understand, but I also know some women find men confusing.

21. May 31, 2012 #20
    Do you find the title and premise of the book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus sexist?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook