1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are these angles the same?

1. Sep 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In my statics book (13th ed. Hibbeler) I'm reviewing the section about using vector analysis to calculate the moment of a force about a specific axis. I understand the theory fine, but I don't completely understand the figure in the book (pic attached). Specifically, why are the two angles labeled theta equal? The first tangle is between the position vector and the x axis, and the second angle is between the moment and it's y component.

2. Relevant equations

Trig relations would obviously be of some help.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since ##r## is any vector from point O extending to the line of action of the applied force, doesn't that mean we can adjust ##r## and still maintain the same moment ##M_O##? Thus ##\theta## between ##r## and the x axis is changing while ##\theta## between ##M_O## and ##M_y## remains the same?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2014 #2
    What is Mo?

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3
    ##M_O## is the moment of the force ##F## about the axis through point O.

5. Sep 24, 2014 #4
    OK. What is the direction of Mo in respect to the plane determined by F and r? What is the angle between Mo and r?

6. Sep 25, 2014 #5
    ##M_O## is, by definition, perpendicular to the plane containing ##F## and ##r##. The angle between ##M_O## and ##r## is thus 90°.

7. Sep 25, 2014 #6
    Great. so now you see why the two angles are equal?
    The angle between the y axis and r should give 90 when added to theta, right?

8. Sep 25, 2014 #7
    Yes, but I don't exactly understand how the angle between the y axis and ##r##, and the angle ##\theta## being complementary to one another tells us anything about the angle between ##M_O## and ##M_y##.

I get that the angles adjacent to ##\theta## are equivalent to ##90-\theta##, but, to me, that doesn't explain why both ##\theta##'s seem to be equal.

Can you please clarify?

9. Sep 25, 2014 #8
    If we call "alpha" the angle between r and My, it is complementary to both angles labeled "theta".
    Or both angles have the same complementary angle (alpha).

10. Sep 25, 2014 #9
    Thanks a ton, I got it now! Interesting way of looking at things!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted