Why are we concentrating on gay specific bullying instead of all bullying?

• News
  • Thread starter Pattonias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of bullying and whether or not the nation is focusing too much on anti-gay bullying instead of addressing bullying in general. The idea that bullying should be taken seriously regardless of the victim's identity is discussed, along with the concept that certain forms of bullying, such as targeting minorities, may be more severe and warrant more attention. The conversation also touches on the lack of legal rights for the LGBTQ+ community and how this may contribute to the prevalence of anti-gay bullying.
Al68 said:
"Emotional and verbal bullying" has a far different solution, though: Ignore it. Unlike assault, we don't imprison people for calling someone names. And unlike assault, even the smallest child can be taught the not-so advanced skill of ignoring someone.

I thought there were/are laws against threatening language, though. For instance, if someone were to say, "I'm going to kill you unless...," and they had the ability to do so, I was under the impression that such acts could be criminalized if they were committed by someone who could reasonably be taken seriously. Conditional threat laws probably vary by county/state, but I believe they're enforced.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
No Al68, you do not simply ignore it.
Yes, in fact, I do. If it escalates to a physical attack, I fight, but never before.
At the risk of invoking a very flammable strawman, I point you to the insitutionalized racism of blacks up until the 60's. Verbal and emotional bullying is oppression.
That's a strawman, indeed, since that institutionalized racism consisted of far more than name-calling. And note that we never outlawed name-calling.

If you think "verbal and emotional bullying" was the biggest problem of the 60's, I would suggest watching a documentary or two about it.

Dembadon said:
I thought there were/are laws against threatening language, though. For instance, if someone were to say, "I'm going to kill you unless...," and they had the ability to do so, I was under the impression that such acts could be criminalized if they were committed by someone who could reasonably be taken seriously. Conditional threat laws probably vary by county/state, but I believe they're enforced.
Of course threats of violence are illegal, but that constitutes physical bullying, not verbal/emotional bullying.

Dembadon said:

Al68 said:
What are you talking about? I was referring to "emotional and verbal" bullying, not physical bullying. Did you misunderstand my post?

Do you disagree that children should be taught how to ignore name-calling instead of (physically) fighting over it?

DaveC426913 said:
No Al68, you do not simply ignore it.

At the risk of invoking a very flammable strawman, I point you to the insitutionalized racism of blacks up until the 60's. Verbal and emotional bullying is oppression.

Okay, the thread of discussion is kind of deteriorating. Let's see if we can reassemble it.

Bullying is characterized as an assault on the well-being of an individual. Emotion and verbal bullying are not trivial actions. Frankly, if you believe that "ignoring it" is an option, then you have revealed that you don't understand the phenomenon.

Threat-induced coercion is a crime. But is not necessarily bullying since it has, at it's core, the goal of performing a crime, not the actual emotional or physical determent of the coerced.

Al68 said:
What are you talking about? I was referring to "emotional and verbal" bullying, not physical bullying. Did you misunderstand my post?

Do you disagree that children should be taught how to ignore name-calling instead of (physically) fighting over it?

No misunderstanding. You do not ignore verbal / emotional bullying. You say you don't agree with pacifism when it comes to physical bullying and yet you advocate it in this situation.

No, don't fight over verbal insults, but you also don't have to be quiet about it. Bullying, regardless of what form it takes, is bullying none the less and should be treated equally.

Thread closed pending Moderation. Some recent posts have also been placed in Moderation, so they are not visible at this time...

<h2>1. Why is gay specific bullying such a big issue?</h2><p>Gay specific bullying is a big issue because it targets a specific group of individuals based on their sexual orientation. This type of bullying can have severe and long-lasting effects on the victims, including depression, anxiety, and even suicide. It is important to address this issue to create a safe and inclusive environment for all students.</p><h2>2. Isn't all bullying bad? Why focus on one type?</h2><p>While all forms of bullying are harmful, gay specific bullying is often overlooked and not given the same attention as other types of bullying. This can lead to a lack of support and resources for those who are victims of this type of bullying. By focusing on gay specific bullying, we can raise awareness and provide support for those who are targeted.</p><h2>3. But isn't bullying just a part of growing up?</h2><p>No, bullying should not be considered a normal part of growing up. It is a serious issue that can have a negative impact on a person's mental and emotional well-being. By addressing and preventing bullying, we can create a safer and healthier environment for all individuals.</p><h2>4. What about other marginalized groups? Shouldn't we focus on all forms of discrimination?</h2><p>While it is important to address all forms of discrimination, including racism, sexism, and ableism, it is also important to recognize that gay specific bullying is a unique issue that requires specific attention. By addressing this issue, we are not dismissing the importance of addressing other forms of discrimination, but rather acknowledging the specific challenges and needs of the LGBTQ+ community.</p><h2>5. How can we prevent gay specific bullying?</h2><p>Preventing gay specific bullying requires a multi-faceted approach. This includes educating students and staff about the harmful effects of bullying, promoting inclusivity and acceptance in schools, and implementing policies and procedures to address and prevent bullying. It is also important to provide support and resources for students who may be victims of bullying and create a safe and supportive environment for them to report any incidents. Additionally, involving parents and the community in these efforts can also be beneficial in preventing gay specific bullying.</p>

1. Why is gay specific bullying such a big issue?

Gay specific bullying is a big issue because it targets a specific group of individuals based on their sexual orientation. This type of bullying can have severe and long-lasting effects on the victims, including depression, anxiety, and even suicide. It is important to address this issue to create a safe and inclusive environment for all students.

2. Isn't all bullying bad? Why focus on one type?

While all forms of bullying are harmful, gay specific bullying is often overlooked and not given the same attention as other types of bullying. This can lead to a lack of support and resources for those who are victims of this type of bullying. By focusing on gay specific bullying, we can raise awareness and provide support for those who are targeted.

3. But isn't bullying just a part of growing up?

No, bullying should not be considered a normal part of growing up. It is a serious issue that can have a negative impact on a person's mental and emotional well-being. By addressing and preventing bullying, we can create a safer and healthier environment for all individuals.

4. What about other marginalized groups? Shouldn't we focus on all forms of discrimination?

While it is important to address all forms of discrimination, including racism, sexism, and ableism, it is also important to recognize that gay specific bullying is a unique issue that requires specific attention. By addressing this issue, we are not dismissing the importance of addressing other forms of discrimination, but rather acknowledging the specific challenges and needs of the LGBTQ+ community.

5. How can we prevent gay specific bullying?

Preventing gay specific bullying requires a multi-faceted approach. This includes educating students and staff about the harmful effects of bullying, promoting inclusivity and acceptance in schools, and implementing policies and procedures to address and prevent bullying. It is also important to provide support and resources for students who may be victims of bullying and create a safe and supportive environment for them to report any incidents. Additionally, involving parents and the community in these efforts can also be beneficial in preventing gay specific bullying.