Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are we nostalgic ?

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    Why is it ?
    I think we can forget everything if we want, right ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2
    I think people forget because they try to keep themselves busy with work so that they don't bother to think of what they have experienced with.

I know "good or bad old days" is something stored in our memory,why does it disappear when time passes by ?

A couple with no kid I know about got dirvorced after 5 years of marriage, now he is re-married to another woman and they have a baby boy. But sometimes the man seems unhappy about what he had with his ex-wife especially when he was asked about that.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  4. May 24, 2005 #3
    I'd assume it's because the brain makes associations between senses and experiences (which I suppose are senses in a way). I'm not really sure though... not an expert lool. :eek:

5. Jun 10, 2005 #4
    WAKE UP!
    Nostalgia's only due to faulty memory. Grasp the now and nostalgia fades to insignificance. Insignifcance means no importance. Got it? Go baby!

Peace and love,
    NN

6. Jun 10, 2005 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Craps - Nostalgic means missing/longing for/fondly remembering something from the past. Seems like you are asking about bad memories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?