Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are women and children saved first?

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    (Atleast I think) that women and children are saved first during a disaster, Why? :confused:

And also when there is a massacre or some large scale killing, arson ,etc. The newpapers carry that line "blah!blah!more than 200 people were killed......including women".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    It is because women are special, and without them we men would be lost. *Maybe that will help cancel out some of my other comments* :smile:

4. Sep 6, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Quite simple:
    Women:
    You need only one male to fertilize many women, so you can make do with fewer men than women in building up the population
    Children:
    The more children who are saved, the less do men need to fertilize women, and hence, they have more time to play among themselves instead..

5. Sep 6, 2005 #4
    Women and children were also deemed less capable of self-survival. Which if the only alternative is death, isn't incredibly logical.

Personally I think men are being discriminated against :biggrin:

Stop Oppressing the white male minority! :mad: :grumpy: :rofl: !

6. Sep 6, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Besides, women have an unhealthy effect upon the men they've snared:
    In just a couple of years into their marriages, the females have reduced their men into burping, farting sacs of fat whose sole happiness in life is to watch sports.

7. Sep 6, 2005 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

I think it's just because, at the time this "rule" was established, men were making all the rules. Without speculating to the cause of this phenominon, I think we can all agree that humans have a natural tendency toward altruism. self-sacrifice for the good of others is recognised as morally admirable by every peolpe-group known to exist. So, somewhat ironically, those with the most authority, who make the decissions regarding whom to save first, can seldom bring themselves to say, "ME! Save ME first!".

That's how we end up with men (who were in charge of society) staying on a sinking ship while women and children get on the lifeboats. It's the same principle as the Captain (the guy with the most authority) going down with the ship. I'm sure that if women were in power and men had little or no pull when decissions like these are made, men and children would go first.

It's really rather encouraging, when you think about it.

8. Sep 6, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How boorish; I'll stick to my own explanation.

9. Sep 6, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Good question. Where are those femanists now with their equality crap :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. Sep 6, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Was this at one of the geneva conventions or something? "Ok guys, for our next order of business lets decide who is saved first in every situation that involves a hint of danger and force it on everyone else."

11. Sep 6, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How deep!
    Because females are to be saved first during disasters, that legitimizes that men should rule when there aren't disasters around. :approve:

12. Sep 6, 2005 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Because it's the gentlemen thing to do :smile: But don't be so biased about this scenario...the elderly (whether they are men or women) are also bunched into being "saved first". It boils down to men are considered stronger and those who can save the more vulnerable. Would you rather have a woman or child save you being male? Not sure that speaks a whole lot about your own survival skills.

13. Sep 6, 2005 #12
    I always thought it was because that when men got done with all the hero stuff they needed someone to cook them a hot meal and wash there cloths.
    And of course saving your children would ensure that your blood line would remain intact.

14. Sep 6, 2005 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not always the case.

Anyone old enough to remeber disaster drills at elementary schools in the early 60's will probably remember lining up in school hallways with the boys hunkered down against the lockers and the girls shielding them with their bodies.

Makes you wonder how long they expected a war with the USSR to last - or at least wonder what kind of armies they were planning on assembling in the aftermath of nuclear warfare.

15. Sep 6, 2005 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Isn't it usually, if not always, a man who causes the disaster in the first place?! The all men have to bear the responsibility. :biggrin:

16. Sep 6, 2005 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Cherchez la femme..
    Blamez la femme..

17. Sep 6, 2005 #16

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

great answer :rofl:

18. Sep 6, 2005 #17
    We didn't do that here, but I do recall, "Bert the Turtle" who showed us how to "duck and cover" to protect themselves during an nuclear event.
    For tornado drills, the girls ran out to the hallway, while the boys ran to open windows{i guess so they wouldn't be blown out?}. We had to kneel in a long row with our hands over our heads, low to the ground.

19. Sep 6, 2005 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That was so in the case of an atomic explosion the boys wouldn't catch a glimpse under the girl's skirt, so the girls were behind the boys so they couldn't peak. Before you say that's dumb, these were people that thought crouching in the hallway would somehow save us from an atomic blast. :rolleyes:

20. Sep 6, 2005 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wait a minute ..... who was it that opened Pandora's box?

And who was the hussy that ran off to Troy with her lover, resulting in a 1000 ships sailing off to war?

And who was it that insisted that Rasputin be an advisor in government just because he could ease her son's suffering? Okay, that's kind of borderline since Rasputin's a male and caused all sorts of trouble, but who did he do most of his sinning with?

In fact, which gender is the cause of most male's fights?
    :rofl: :rofl:

21. Sep 6, 2005 #20
    Nonsense, you'll notice that when the titanic sank all the richies got away safe and all the poor went down with the ship, some were even locked in the lower areas of the ship so they wouldn't have a chance of escaping.

I think that's a load of garbage, there's nothing to back it up.

i still like my answer best

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?