Why are women wearing tops with open backs?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
jtbell
Mentor
the girls that drive provocatively are the ones that need attention
Yes, they probably cause as many road accidents as people (of either gender) who text while driving.

cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, they probably cause as many road accidents as people (of either gender) who text while driving.
Haha, Damn You Autocorrect! :biggrin:

Regarding women's fashion:

I'm 24 and a female. I wear mini skirts almost all summer long. I do this because I once dated a guy who loved the mini skirt and flip flop look while I was living in Phoenix. But then it was so hot there all the time, that honestly, it was pretty practical, so I wore them even more. Now its years after we broke up, and I still wear mini skirts all the time, even though the summer fashion trends have gone away from that style and shifted towards capris, flared shorts, and loose pants, (yoga pants, I mean you!)

Only just the other day a guy friend of mine commented on my short skirt and asked if I was... uh... "asking for it." I said no, it was just comfortable and I thought I looked cute. (I was also wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and sneakers, so nothing else provocative.) He informed me that mini skirts have an implied sexuality, and that even a pair of short shorts would have been a more conservative choice. Personally, I don't like that sort of attention, so I was a little taken aback by that. When I wore the look in Phoenix, it was so popular, I didn't get a second glance from most passerby. Now, because not every girl is doing it, I suppose I stand out slightly more.

My point is that I partook in a fashion trend at one point in time, but it became my own personal fashion choice for comfort reasons, however now it has certain other implications I was (mostly) unaware of.

Because fashion is always evolving, its hard for any single woman to really keep up and still remain comfortable. Compromises are made. Girls trying to keep up may be wearing the open back style shirts, but they may not be comfortable without a bra, (I wouldn't be!) So they make a (poor) decision to wear both. It happens.

I maybe wore a flannel shirt and a mini skirt the other day and maybe got some weird looks... Fashion is a tricky thing people!

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wear the same pair of jeans practically every day. (Although wearing a uniform to work helps) They are faded and have holes in the bottom of the legs. Why do I wear them? Because they are comfortable and I don't particularly care about fashion! Do some people see this look and think I'm a slob? Probably. Am I? Not that I know of. Should I stop wearing them because some people think something of me? I don't think so.

I think the same thing applies to women's fashion. Ladies, you could be wearing a whale suit slathered in blubber, yet SOMEONE is going to think you look sexy. Wear what you want to wear, just be aware of the REASONS behind it.

turbo
Gold Member
I have been wearing some older jeans and asked my wife to pick me up a couple a pairs of straight-leg Levis. They are not the old stove-pipe legs of the past. I would prefer the mobility and comfort of the old straight-legs, but these are are too tight around the calves. Fashions change, and some of us geezers might not be aware of it. I have been the same jean size for decades, and Levi has decided to tighten up the lower legs. Well, the mistake has been made and paid for, so I'm stuck with them. I'm not a runner any more, so my calf-size shouldn't change unless I get fat, but I'm still ticked.

I think the same thing applies to women's fashion. Ladies, you could be wearing a whale suit slathered in blubber, yet SOMEONE is going to think you look sexy. Wear what you want to wear, just be aware of the REASONS behind it.
Haha. First, I'm not entirely convinced that's true...

Second, who cares if SOMEONE thinks you're sexy? I think most women are aiming a little higher than that.

russ_watters
Mentor
Welcome back Gale!