Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are you here?

1. for help with a specific issue or subject

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. for general information about and an interest in one subject

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. for...two or more subjects

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  4. because the site is well moderated and populated

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. for entertainment and fun

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  6. because I like to argue

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. to make my message or theory known

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. because this is one of many sites that I visit

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. because I’m bored

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  10. to see what geeks and nerds are like

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aug 17, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am wondering what brings people here. Please check all that apply. Additional comments are always appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2004 #2
    To bless you misguided people with the infinite wisdom that only a 17 year old can provide. :tongue2:

Really, to learn and share knowledge with muture intelligent people and sometimes just to socialize.

4. Aug 17, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hmmmm, I like to learn about new things and have "intelligent" discussions on topics I am interested in.

I can't decide where these fall in your poll.

5. Aug 17, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say options 3, 4, and 5?

6. Aug 17, 2004 #5

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo said it well, as she so often does :approve: :smile:

7. Aug 17, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For some much needed intellectual stimulation...and entertainment; and often the former provides the latter. Sometimes I get doubts clarified, but that's only been 3 or 4 times in all. And, it feels good to be able to help out.

Mostly, I'm here because of all you people.

< to help rid the world of ignorance :wink: >

I picked 3,4,5.

8. Aug 17, 2004 #7
    I like to read some of the more interesting discussions.to learn something about anything ,I didn't know. ..don't have time to read hard cover books anymore. Interesting people.fear of boredom.

9. Aug 17, 2004 #8

Evo

Evo<------gives Gokul43201 a big hug. :approve:

10. Aug 17, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I checked 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. I think that just means I like this site. But, I also like to see young people develop their interests in the sciences, so this is a place where I can offer some advice/experiences to hopefully inspire that in the next generation. It keeps me feeling young.

11. Aug 17, 2004 #10
    lol, I ticked the last one. I don't mean to be insulting to anyone (in fact it's probably a kind of complement if you look at it correctly) but it's probably the most suitable option.

I came for help on a particular problem and was really impressed with the prompt response and help I received, so I've browsed the forums and I'm quite intrigued at all the subject matter I've seen up on here and well, I don't understand a whole lot of it, but these are subjects I could not talk about elsewhere, so I'm thinking I'll probably browse from time to time and see how much I can soak up. Not sure I'm going to be doing a whole lot of contributing though lol.

12. Aug 18, 2004 #11
    My curiosity has escalated over the years such that asking my parents questions eventually proved to be no avail....in addition to my many attempts to launch discussions concerning philosophy, chaos theory, you name it. I became quite fatigued, when I learned my peers didn't quite care for the subjects I passionately cared for. So one day, I was browsing the internet for "physics+chat" and eventually came here. I honestly must say, this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Thank you.

13. Aug 18, 2004 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Imparticle,

Glad to hear it -- we often get feedback that we are the only place on the internet that allows people to feel like "themselves." We're happy to provide you a sense of community. It's good to have you here!

- Warren

14. Aug 18, 2004 #13
    I hang around because there are so many bright people here.

15. Aug 18, 2004 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You forgot this category:
    "to impress the world with my vast intellect and superior knowledge so that everyone will recognize my anonymous moniker."

Actually, I started posting on this forum more or less to practice my "30 second" explanations and to pick up other people's insights into "better ways of seeing things."

Only recently did I get into this general discussion forum. I'd been avoiding it because... , well you know how much time bulliten board discussions take up!

This is the only on-line community I have time for, and the only place where I can "talk" with people who have intelligence and a combination of high and low humor. This means staying out of the TD forum (resist, resist).

PS: I just came back from a 3 week vacation; while sitting in a tiny motel in Page Arizona, I really really wished I could get to a computer. No luck, so I had to take up smoking.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  16. Aug 18, 2004 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

I dont bring much to these forums so it is entertainment and fun for me all the way

17. Aug 18, 2004 #16

Evo

Chopnik, you always brighten my day. "you" are one of the reasons I am here, seriously, Ivan forgot to put you as a category though.

18. Aug 18, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think we needed one. Jimmy P Chopnik Spraymaster brightens everyone's day! Besides, he is our gambling expert. I vote Jimmy P as the PF gambling expert of the year. :biggrin:

19. Aug 19, 2004 #18
    Intelligent communication. I learn a lot reading all the comments from you smart people.

Also, entertainment because I'm frequently bored. It's interesting how funny some of these smart people can be.

I also enjoy helping out in the subjects that I do know something about. (Not very many, but a few here and there.)

20. Aug 20, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

I am actually really touched by that. I shall endeavour to brighten EVERYONE'S day somehow

The odds of me getting that are 6/4 at the moment but that is just an early price :biggrin:

21. Aug 21, 2004 #20
    because of the free pizza

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?