Why are You Here? Check All that Apply

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: To be honest, I don't usually contribute, but I like to read what others have to say.I come here to learn and to have intellectual discussions on topics that I am interested in. I also find the conversations here stimulating.

Please check all that apply: I am generally here…

• for help with a specific issue or subject

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • for general information about and an interest in one subject

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • for...two or more subjects

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • because the site is well moderated and populated

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • for entertainment and fun

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • because I like to argue

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • to make my message or theory known

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • because this is one of many sites that I visit

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • because I’m bored

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • to see what geeks and nerds are like

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am wondering what brings people here. Please check all that apply. Additional comments are always appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To bless you misguided people with the infinite wisdom that only a 17 year old can provide. :tongue2:

Really, to learn and share knowledge with muture intelligent people and sometimes just to socialize.

Hmmmm, I like to learn about new things and have "intelligent" discussions on topics I am interested in.

I can't decide where these fall in your poll.

Evo said:
Hmmmm, I like to learn about new things and have "intelligent" discussions on topics I am interested in.

I can't decide where these fall in your poll.

I would say options 3, 4, and 5?

Evo said it well, as she so often does :approve: :smile:

For some much needed intellectual stimulation...and entertainment; and often the former provides the latter. Sometimes I get doubts clarified, but that's only been 3 or 4 times in all. And, it feels good to be able to help out.

Mostly, I'm here because of all you people.

< to help rid the world of ignorance :wink: >

I picked 3,4,5.

I like to read some of the more interesting discussions.to learn something about anything ,I didn't know. ..don't have time to read hard cover books anymore. Interesting people.fear of boredom.

Gokul43201 said:
Mostly, I'm here because of all you people.
Evo<------gives Gokul43201 a big hug. :approve:

I checked 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8. I think that just means I like this site. But, I also like to see young people develop their interests in the sciences, so this is a place where I can offer some advice/experiences to hopefully inspire that in the next generation. It keeps me feeling young.

lol, I ticked the last one. I don't mean to be insulting to anyone (in fact it's probably a kind of complement if you look at it correctly) but it's probably the most suitable option.

I came for help on a particular problem and was really impressed with the prompt response and help I received, so I've browsed the forums and I'm quite intrigued at all the subject matter I've seen up on here and well, I don't understand a whole lot of it, but these are subjects I could not talk about elsewhere, so I'm thinking I'll probably browse from time to time and see how much I can soak up. Not sure I'm going to be doing a whole lot of contributing though lol.

My curiosity has escalated over the years such that asking my parents questions eventually proved to be no avail...in addition to my many attempts to launch discussions concerning philosophy, chaos theory, you name it. I became quite fatigued, when I learned my peers didn't quite care for the subjects I passionately cared for. So one day, I was browsing the internet for "physics+chat" and eventually came here. I honestly must say, this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Thank you.

Imparticle,

Glad to hear it -- we often get feedback that we are the only place on the internet that allows people to feel like "themselves." We're happy to provide you a sense of community. It's good to have you here!

- Warren

I hang around because there are so many bright people here.

You forgot this category:
"to impress the world with my vast intellect and superior knowledge so that everyone will recognize my anonymous moniker."

Actually, I started posting on this forum more or less to practice my "30 second" explanations and to pick up other people's insights into "better ways of seeing things."

Only recently did I get into this general discussion forum. I'd been avoiding it because... , well you know how much time bulliten board discussions take up!

This is the only on-line community I have time for, and the only place where I can "talk" with people who have intelligence and a combination of high and low humor. This means staying out of the TD forum (resist, resist).

PS: I just came back from a 3 week vacation; while sitting in a tiny motel in Page Arizona, I really really wished I could get to a computer. No luck, so I had to take up smoking.

Last edited:
I don't bring much to these forums so it is entertainment and fun for me all the way

jimmy p said:
I don't bring much to these forums so it is entertainment and fun for me all the way
Chopnik, you always brighten my day. "you" are one of the reasons I am here, seriously, Ivan forgot to put you as a category though.

Ivan forgot to put you as a category though

I didn't think we needed one. Jimmy P Chopnik Spraymaster brightens everyone's day! Besides, he is our gambling expert. I vote Jimmy P as the PF gambling expert of the year. :biggrin:

Intelligent communication. I learn a lot reading all the comments from you smart people.

Also, entertainment because I'm frequently bored. It's interesting how funny some of these smart people can be.

I also enjoy helping out in the subjects that I do know something about. (Not very many, but a few here and there.)

Evo said:
Chopnik, you always brighten my day. "you" are one of the reasons I am here, seriously, Ivan forgot to put you as a category though.

I am actually really touched by that. I shall endeavour to brighten EVERYONE'S day somehow

Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't think we needed one. Jimmy P Chopnik Spraymaster brightens everyone's day! Besides, he is our gambling expert. I vote Jimmy P as the PF gambling expert of the year. :biggrin:

The odds of me getting that are 6/4 at the moment but that is just an early price :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I am wondering what brings people here. Please check all that apply. Additional comments are always appreciated.

because of the free pizza

I have no idea

Artman said:
Also, entertainment because I'm frequently bored. It's interesting how funny some of these smart people can be.

LOL! That's just because you "get" our jokes! I think "normal" people would just stand there looking at us, not realizing a joke had even been told. :eek: :rofl: :bugeye:

Hey, I just noticed the rest of the smilies are now all in the box to the right, I don't have to click a separate link to get the rest of them! Yay! Another reason to stay here...I get a plethora of smilies at just a touch of a button!

I enjoy the intelligent conversation here as well...and I'm always amazed, and heartened to realize much of that intelligent conversation here is coming from teenagers. Considering the flaky teens I see all around me, it's nice to know there are some mature ones around who can keep up a good conversation. :approve: :cool:

Moonbear said:
I enjoy the intelligent conversation here as well...and I'm always amazed, and heartened to realize much of that intelligent conversation here is coming from teenagers. Considering the flaky teens I see all around me, it's nice to know there are some mature ones around who can keep up a good conversation. :approve: :cool:
Wow. I had not really thought about that, you're right! I forget how young they are, most are more mature than a lot of the adults I deal with.

I'm here because Tsunami locked my office from the outside years ago. My only contact with the outside world is the little hole that Tsu shoves the food through every now and again, and you here at PF.

btw, how are the Los Angeles Rams doing these days?

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm here because Tsunami locked my office from the outside years ago. My only contact with the outside world is the little hole that Tsu shoves the food through every now and again, and you here at PF.
It reminds me of that song about the guy that gets on the MTA (I think it's the Boston Mass. Mass transit system) and they raise the faire so he doesn't have enough money to get off. Every day his wife comes to the station and hands him his lunch as the train passes by. I always wondered why she didn't just hand him the 15 cents he was short so he could get off the train? Now I know, she didn't want him to get off!

I come here to read about exciting advances and theories. I have had only basic physics classes, but I find the whole field fascinating. I do not have a lot to contribute but I have learned alot. I am very appreciative of this forum.

I come here because I've exhausted all my fun times on www.bored.com

No more can I send out fake "lost fortune" emails to my friends, and laugh hysterically as they completely buy into it. (I'm not kidding, I duped SEVERAL people with this)

Incidentally, I don't think that website exists anymore...

EDIT: I stand corrected.. still there

1. Why is it important to understand why we are here?

Understanding why we are here helps us to make sense of our existence and gives us a sense of purpose. It also allows us to reflect on our actions and decisions, and make necessary changes to live a more fulfilling life.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why we are here?

The question of why we are here is a philosophical and existential one, and there is no definitive scientific answer. However, many scientists believe that the universe and life on Earth originated through natural processes such as the Big Bang and evolution.

3. Can understanding why we are here lead to advancements in science and technology?

Yes, understanding the purpose of our existence can drive scientific curiosity and lead to new discoveries and advancements in technology. It can also provide motivation for scientists to continue their research and make meaningful contributions to society.

4. How does culture and religion play a role in our understanding of why we are here?

Culture and religion can greatly influence our understanding of why we are here. They provide different perspectives and beliefs about the purpose of life and our place in the universe. These beliefs can shape our values and guide our actions.

5. Can our individual experiences and relationships impact our understanding of why we are here?

Yes, our personal experiences and relationships can greatly impact our understanding of why we are here. They can shape our beliefs and values, and ultimately influence our perception of our purpose in life.