Why aren't stars in a star cluster attracted to each other?

• Thread starter texasblitzem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star Stars
In summary, globular clusters are dense collections of stars that do attract each other gravitationally, but they do not all collide to form a mega-star due to the fact that their orbital angular momentums do not have the same direction. The stars in a cluster are moving around each other, all orbiting the barycenter of the cluster, and their trajectories do not have to be in perfect orbits. Collisions between stars in a globular cluster are rare due to the low collision rate and the effects of gravitational pull. There is also the possibility of stars escaping the cluster due to interactions with other stars, resulting in a highly unstable path.
texasblitzem
If a globular cluster is a dense(relatively speaking) collection of stars, why don't the stars attract each other gravitationally? Why don't they all collide to form a mega-star?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
texasblitzem said:
If a globular cluster is a dense(relatively speaking) collection of stars, why don't the stars attract each other gravitationally? Why don't they all collide to form a mega-star?

They do attract each other gravitationally. They don't all crash into one another for the same reason the Earth doesn't crash into the sun.

If they all collided and merged it wouldn't result in a mega star. It would be a black hole that would be created.

Jack21222 said:
They do attract each other gravitationally. They don't all crash into one another for the same reason the Earth doesn't crash into the sun.

It is not that I'm a expert on astronomy. But isn't that the same as saying the cluster is rotating?

I'm not an expert either, but I was playing with someone's orbital simulation software once where you could define any number of planets and stars and set their initial velocities, etc., and you then see how they all interact. I noticed that it is very difficult to get interstellar objects to collide. They have to hit practically dead-on. Otherwise they just whip around each other.

Obviously, if that were to happen in real life there would be severe damage to both bodies in terms of atmospheric and other disturbances. But literal collisions are hard to do even when done on purpose.

^ this is true

Even when 2 galaxies merge, there are only a few of the billions of stars that actually collide, otherwise they just swing around each other.

kjensen said:
It is not that I'm a expert on astronomy. But isn't that the same as saying the cluster is rotating?

Of course. The stars in the cluster are moving around each other, all orbiting the barycenter of the cluster.

Drakkith said:
The stars in the cluster are moving around each other, all orbiting the barycenter of the cluster.

That doesn't mean that the cluster is rotating because the orbital angular momentums doesn't have the same direction. Star clusters usually have no total angular momentum. In addition the trajectory of the stars doesn't have to be orbits.

DrStupid said:
That doesn't mean that the cluster is rotating because the orbital angular momentums doesn't have the same direction. Star clusters usually have no total angular momentum. In addition the trajectory of the stars doesn't have to be orbits.

Is it being suggesting that stars in a globular cluster might be oscillating like bees in a hive?

Respectfully,
Steve

Dotini said:
Is it being suggesting that stars in a globular cluster might be oscillating like bees in a hive?

That's a nice analogy but the motion of the stars is determined by the common gravitational field and not by aerodynamics.

DrStupid said:

I'm not saying every star will be moving in the same direction, only that they will be moving around in orbits. If the trajectory isn't in an orbital then the star will escape the cluster. Unless I'm misunderstanding the way orbit is being used here.

Drakkith said:
If the trajectory isn't in an orbital then the star will escape the cluster.

How about a chaotic path due to many close flybys?

As was pointed out earlier, cluster stars seldom collide with each other. Let's try to quantify this result.

Collision rate = (number density of targets) * (collision cross section) * (velocity)

For stars with radius r separated by distance a and traversing their separation distance in time T, the rate becomes

(1/T) * (r/a)2

One has to be careful of gravitational effects, since the stars will be pulled together before they collide. This changes the cross section from pi*r2 to

pi*r*(r + 2(G*M)/(v2))

for mass M and velocity at infinity v. Even then, it's easy to show that collisions are rare.

DrStupid said:

Isn't that an orbit still? It's still bound to the cluster.

One can estimate the likelihood of close flybys per orbit.

The average orbit speed ~ sqrt(G*M/A)
M = total mass, A = total size
For N stars, they are related to individual mass m and separation a as
M ~ N*m
A ~ N1/3*a

To be deflected significantly, a star must pass within about G*m/v2 of another star, and that is about A*(m/M) or A/N.

A star's mean free path, its travel distance between such deflections, is
1/((stars' number density) * (deflection cross section))

Working it out, 1/((N/A3) * (A/N)2) or N*A.

So a star will make on average about N orbits between sizable deflections.

Maybe they're not the right type.

SteamKing said:
Maybe they're not the right type.

*Groan* Terrible joke!

DrStupid said:

You're using a different definition of the word orbit than I'm used to.

Jack21222 said:

It's a good question.

I am not sure if orbits are really stable in a cluster where the orbits have a wide distribution of planes.

For any given star, as long as it does not manage to acquire enough velocity to actually escape the cluster (and it's entirely possible some do) it could happily drift around on an highly unstable path.

DaveC426913 said:
I am not sure if orbits are really stable in a cluster where the orbits have a wide distribution of planes.

For any given star, as long as it does not manage to acquire enough velocity to actually escape the cluster (and it's entirely possible some do) it could happily drift around on an highly unstable path.

Yup, maybe! I found this in wiki:
"The results of N-body simulations have shown that the stars can follow unusual paths through the cluster, often forming loops and often falling more directly toward the core than would a single star orbiting a central mass. In addition, due to interactions with other stars that result in an increase in velocity, some of the stars gain sufficient energy to escape the cluster."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globular_cluster

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Drakkith said:
Isn't that an orbit still? It's still bound to the cluster.

It is not periodic.

Jack21222 said:

My definition for orbit is a periodic path around a point in space. What is yours?

lpetrich said:
So a star will make on average about N orbits between sizable deflections.

On average. But in the core of the cluster close encounters are much more common. In case of a core collapse the number of such events increases dramatically (compared to the average) so that formations of double stars lead to a significant increase of the "temperature" of the whole cluster.

DrStupid said:
My definition for orbit is a periodic path around a point in space. What is yours?

Are hyperbolic orbits not orbits?

You mentioned chaos...

If those chaotic paths are closed, are they not orbits?

Jack21222 said:
Are hyperbolic orbits not orbits?

To my understanding of "orbit" they are not. But I checked that and found some sources that uses this word also for open trajectories. Do you have a source for an official definition of this word?

Jack21222 said:
If those chaotic paths are closed, are they not orbits?

A closed chaotic path is very unlikely.

DrStupid said:
It is not periodic.

Alright, that's a fair statement. Instead of "orbit" can I just say they are all attracted to the cluster and follow different trajectories around it? Obviously interactions with individual stars will cause each star to follow a possible wildly varying trajectory.

1. Why don't stars in a star cluster collide with each other?

Stars in a star cluster are not stationary objects, they are constantly moving and orbiting around the center of the cluster. This constant motion prevents them from colliding with each other.

2. How do stars in a star cluster maintain their positions?

The gravitational pull of each star in the cluster keeps other stars in their orbit, maintaining their relative positions within the cluster. The overall gravitational balance of the cluster helps to keep the stars from drifting too far away from each other.

3. Why do star clusters have a distinct shape?

The shape of a star cluster is determined by the gravitational forces acting on the stars within it. The most common shape for a star cluster is a spherical or elliptical shape, as this is the most stable arrangement for the stars within the cluster.

4. Why do some stars in a star cluster have different brightness levels?

The brightness of a star is determined by its size and temperature. In a star cluster, there can be a wide range of sizes and temperatures among the stars, resulting in varying levels of brightness. Additionally, some stars may be obscured by dust or gas, making them appear dimmer.

5. How do stars in a star cluster interact with each other?

Stars in a star cluster interact with each other through gravitational forces. These forces may cause some stars to move closer together or further apart, but the overall balance of forces keeps the stars in a stable arrangement within the cluster.