Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why aren't we allowed to use HTML in posts?

1. Jul 17, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

why aren't we allowed to use HTML in posts? mayba a [dohtml] tag or something. it would help me format the posts the way I want without having to use this primative [whatever] code

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2005 #2
    Think about how the posts are structured. It's mostly a collection of cells of tables. Think about what would happen if you put a random </table> tag in the middle of your post. It would completely screw up the entire layout.

Aside from that, there are also many malicious things you could do if you could just add code to the page. One of the more annoying ones would be a meta-refresh tag that could redirect a page on-load to some advertisment site, making the intended page impossible to view. You could even make tons of pop-ups and annoying javascript if there were no filtering.

The fact is, for the sake of keeping the board sane and neat looking, it's imperative that users aren't able to affect the way the pages are coded outside of text and simple graphics. Believe me - I've been admin. for several message boards and usually I don't even allow images, nevermind HTML.

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3
    You may not realize, when HTML is allowed, it is fairly restricted. No tables are allowed on phpBB boards, nor tons of other things. Bassically you can only change colors and font sizes from what I remember. May be different in VB though...

5. Jul 17, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

oh. I had a board with html, it seemed to work out fine. I don't see why you wouldn't allow images though...

6. Jul 17, 2005 #5
    It was for moderating purposes mostly. I also realize that any decent message board would make efforts to keep it from being messed with via HTML in posts if allowed.

Out of curiousity, what sort of features do you want from HTML?

7. Jul 17, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

bulleted lists, numbered lists, a code that isn't confusing to me, using character entities, and some other stuff

8. Jul 17, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. you
    2. can
    3. do
    4. numbered
    5. lists
    6. here

• and
    • bulleted
    • lists

• and
    • even
    • lettered
    • lists

:biggrin:

I think the tags/code we use here is far easier than HTML! Just say what you want to do in brackets and then use a slash before that in brackets to end doing that.

Images are only allowed in GD here, but you can upload attachments elsewhere if you need to include an illustration.

9. Jul 17, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

I think HTML is far easier. I still don't have my character entities. I would like to be able to put a button in a post. and possibly use spoiler tags. (for brain teasers)

10. Jul 17, 2005 #9
    Changing the text to white is fine for spoilers, I think. What would you do with a button?

11. Jul 17, 2005 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

lots of things. dropdown lists too. how did you do those lists moonbear?

12. Jul 17, 2005 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Quote her post to see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?