Why aren't we allowed to use HTML in posts?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Html
In summary, HTML is not allowed on phpBB boards for the sake of keeping the board clean and organized. The features that HTML would provide are too difficult to use and would cause more problems than they would solve.
JamesU
Gold Member
why aren't we allowed to use HTML in posts? mayba a [dohtml] tag or something. it would help me format the posts the way I want without having to use this primative [whatever] code

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how the posts are structured. It's mostly a collection of cells of tables. Think about what would happen if you put a random </table> tag in the middle of your post. It would completely screw up the entire layout.

Aside from that, there are also many malicious things you could do if you could just add code to the page. One of the more annoying ones would be a meta-refresh tag that could redirect a page on-load to some advertisment site, making the intended page impossible to view. You could even make tons of pop-ups and annoying javascript if there were no filtering.

The fact is, for the sake of keeping the board sane and neat looking, it's imperative that users aren't able to affect the way the pages are coded outside of text and simple graphics. Believe me - I've been admin. for several message boards and usually I don't even allow images, nevermind HTML.

You may not realize, when HTML is allowed, it is fairly restricted. No tables are allowed on phpBB boards, nor tons of other things. Bassically you can only change colors and font sizes from what I remember. May be different in VB though...

oh. I had a board with html, it seemed to work out fine. I don't see why you wouldn't allow images though...

yomamma said:
oh. I had a board with html, it seemed to work out fine. I don't see why you wouldn't allow images though...
It was for moderating purposes mostly. I also realize that any decent message board would make efforts to keep it from being messed with via HTML in posts if allowed.

Out of curiousity, what sort of features do you want from HTML?

bulleted lists, numbered lists, a code that isn't confusing to me, using character entities, and some other stuff

yomamma said:
bulleted lists, numbered lists, a code that isn't confusing to me, using character entities, and some other stuff
  1. you
  2. can
  3. do
  4. numbered
  5. lists
  6. here

• and
  • bulleted
  • lists

• and
  • even
  • lettered
  • lists

:biggrin:

I think the tags/code we use here is far easier than HTML! Just say what you want to do in brackets and then use a slash before that in brackets to end doing that.

Images are only allowed in GD here, but you can upload attachments elsewhere if you need to include an illustration.

I think HTML is far easier. I still don't have my character entities. I would like to be able to put a button in a post. and possibly use spoiler tags. (for brain teasers)

Changing the text to white is fine for spoilers, I think. What would you do with a button?

lots of things. dropdown lists too. how did you do those lists moonbear?

yomamma said:
lots of things. dropdown lists too. how did you do those lists moonbear?
Quote her post to see.

1. Why is HTML not allowed in posts?

HTML is not allowed in posts to maintain consistency in the appearance and functionality of the website. Allowing HTML in posts can lead to a cluttered and inconsistent design, making it difficult for users to navigate and use the website. Additionally, HTML can be used maliciously to harm the website or its users, so restricting its use helps to protect the website's security.

2. Can I use HTML in posts to customize my content?

No, HTML is not allowed in posts for customizing content. The website has a specific design and layout that should be followed for a cohesive user experience. If you would like to customize your content, you can use the formatting options provided by the website's text editor.

3. Will allowing HTML in posts improve my SEO?

No, allowing HTML in posts will not improve your website's SEO. Search engines look for relevant and high-quality content, not HTML code. In fact, using excessive HTML can negatively affect your website's SEO by making it difficult for search engines to crawl and index your content.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of not using HTML in posts?

There may be some exceptions for using HTML in posts, such as for embedding videos or social media posts. However, these exceptions are usually handled through specific plugins or embedding options provided by the website, rather than allowing users to directly input HTML code.

5. Can I request for HTML to be allowed in posts?

No, the decision to not allow HTML in posts is determined by the website's administrators and developers. It is done to maintain the overall design and functionality of the website, as well as to ensure the security of the website and its users. If you have a specific request or suggestion, you can reach out to the website's support team for further assistance.