Why Inadequate Lighting in Closets?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lighting
In summary, because the builders are guys, the lighting in closets is bad, and there is a pact between them and the designers of program interfaces to make people go blind.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Why do they always have such bad lighting in closets?

I have a really large walk in closet with one tiny light fixture to one side of the ceiling. I can hardly see what's in there, much less tell the difference between colors like blue and black. Not to mention the shadows due to the weird spot they decided to place the light.

Do builders have some kind of pact to make people go blind trying to find things in the closet?

It would be so simple to make the lighting better, but NOOOOO.

What else makes you ask "WHY"?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dark closets make snogging more exciting. And it's a boon for horror movie directors.

I wonder why program interface design is so speculative. Why do we have the exit button right next to the maximize/minimize/restore buttons? Why do dialog boxes put OKAY and CANCEL right next to each other??

Why are the page numbers on this site just a few pixels tall?

Something to do with skeletons?

Builders are guys.
Guys don't have closets, they have piles on the floor - or if married they have piles on the floor in the closet.
Guys don't select clothes by colour - they select by smell, a quick sniff tells you if you can wear it again or need to wash it.

Last edited:

mgb_phys said:
Builders are guys.
Guys don't have closets, they piles on the floor - if married they have piles on the floor in the closet.
Guys don't select clothes by colour - they select by smell, a quick sniff tells you if you can wear it again or need to wash it.
:bugeye:

That would explain it.

I will never forget the day I went to work with one black shoe and one blue shoe. I liked the style, so had bought one pair of each color.

The monsters who live in the closets don't like to have to wear sunglasses.

My closets all have good lighting. I was actually confused to find a random light switch in the guest bedroom next to the closet door. I'd flip it, and nothing happened...until I had the closet door open and realized it was a light for the closet. :redface: I've never before had proper light switches for closet lights except for a walk-in closet.

When I was in college one summer I got a job with a construction crew that was installing a fiber-optic network on the campus. Part of the job involved installing ethernet network jacks in each room in each of the dorms. All of the wiring would usually run down to the basement of the dorm and attach to a punch-down block, a large board that interfaced to the fiber optic network, usually mounted on a big sheet of plywood nailed to the wall in the closet.

We got all finished in one dorm (it usually took a good three days for a team of two of us to complete a single building), finally hooked up the network to the punch-down block, and ran all of the tests and everything checked out. We went to switch off the lights and move on to the next building... and found that when we'd nailed the punch-down block to the wall we'd placed it over the light switch.

For all I know, the lights may still be on in that closet. Al Gore would kill me if he knew.

mgb_phys said:
Builders are guys.
Guys don't have closets, they have piles on the floor - or if married they have piles on the floor in the closet.
You know, as a guy, I've never needed a light in my closet. Granted I have pretty good vision at night (it comes naturally from having horrible eye sight to begin with) so seeing in a dark closet wouldn't be that much more difficult.

Exactly.
If you work in physics you take one black t-shirt form the t-shirt pile (all t-shirts are black), one pair underwear and socks from the smelly pile and put on the jeans that are left on the floor.
If you work in management you take a white shirt from the white shirt pile and the suit + trousers from the back of the chair.

Builders also tend to put the washer and dryer out by the door leading to the garage in most homes. The laundry has to be carried all the way out from the dark closets in the bedrooms and then lugged back again and hung up in the darkness where colors like reds and purples and blues and blacks all merge.

Why does the washer and dryer have to be close to the garage?? Is it because grandma used to keep her Maytag on the back porch?

Evo said:
Why do they always have such bad lighting in closets?

I have a really large walk in closet with one tiny light fixture to one side of the ceiling. I can hardly see what's in there, much less tell the difference between colors like blue and black. Not to mention the shadows due to the weird spot they decided to place the light.

Do builders have some kind of pact to make people go blind trying to find things in the closet?

It would be so simple to make the lighting better, but NOOOOO.

I'm telling you...find a local 'container store' near you.

My closet rocks:

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/6797/pict0011bn9.jpg [Broken]

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2917/pict0012wx9.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyrus, that's an awesome closet. It's inspirational haha.

How much did you pay for all of that? (not clothing, but the containers and such).

and then there's Cyrus...

moose said:
Cyrus, that's an awesome closet. It's inspirational haha.

How much did you pay for all of that? (not clothing, but the containers and such).

www.elfa.com

Our walk in closets have lights because we asked for them.

Shallow closets usually don't have lights since it is assumed that the room lighting provides sufficient light or the sun provides sufficient light.

The other concern would be an incandescent bulb which gets hot and could represent a fire hazard, although appropriate fixtures can be use. My wife's closet has a low-temperature fluorescent light, while mine has an incandescent light.

My sister has drive-in closets adjacent to her bedroom and bath room. One could park a couple of SUVs in the closet.

My wife assures me that there are no lights in our closets.

Evo said:

Why are there no sockets in the places in da house that are destined to be high density electrical appliance areas. Also, why do you also have to plug in the vacuum cleaner twice in the front and the back to clean the room. Why couldn't there be a central socket?

1. Why is bad lighting in closets a common problem?

Bad lighting in closets is a common problem because closets are typically small, enclosed spaces that are often overlooked when it comes to lighting. Many closets only have one light fixture or bulb, which may not provide enough light for the entire space. Additionally, closets are often filled with items that can block or reflect light, making it difficult to see clearly.

2. What are the consequences of bad lighting in closets?

Bad lighting in closets can lead to a variety of consequences. It can make it difficult to find items, causing frustration and wasting time. Poor lighting can also make it hard to distinguish between colors, which can result in mismatched outfits. In some cases, bad lighting can even pose a safety hazard if sharp objects or tripping hazards are not easily visible.

3. How does bad lighting in closets affect our daily routines?

Bad lighting in closets can disrupt our daily routines in several ways. It can make it challenging to get dressed in the morning, as we may struggle to see our clothing and accessories clearly. It can also make it difficult to put away laundry or find specific items when we are in a hurry. This can lead to added stress and frustration in our daily lives.

4. Is there a solution to bad lighting in closets?

Fortunately, there are several solutions to improve lighting in closets. One option is to add additional light fixtures, such as recessed or track lighting. Another solution is to install a light with a higher wattage or a brighter bulb. You can also consider using LED lights, which are energy-efficient and produce bright, natural light. Lastly, organizing and decluttering your closet can also help improve lighting by reducing the number of items blocking the light.

5. How important is proper lighting in closets?

Proper lighting in closets is essential for both practical and aesthetic reasons. Good lighting can help us find items more easily and efficiently, saving us time and reducing frustration. It can also enhance the overall appearance of our closet and make it a more pleasant space to use. In some cases, proper lighting can even increase the value of a home, making it a worthwhile investment.