Why Bohm quantum mechanics is not true?

In summary, the Bohmian interpretation of quantum mechanics is a valid but controversial theory that attempts to reconcile certain issues with traditional quantum mechanics. It is not widely accepted due to its lack of new testable predictions and its reliance on non-locality. However, it is still studied and discussed in the physics community, as evidenced by its publication in physical magazines and books.
eljose79
Why Bohm quantum mechanics is not true?...

that is my question..why is not true and physicist take it into account to solve problems?..why is not valid...what are the errors?..why is not equivalent to the ortodox ..quantum mechanics?.

and if it is not valid...why are works about it published in physical magazines...why are books speaking about it?..(in fact anyone would not care speaking about something that everybody knows is false)..i have this doubt..

Physics news on Phys.org
Uppps. You mean Bohmian "pilot waves", do you?

I understand that when it comes to calculations, it is exactly as the Schroedinger-DeBroglie quantum mechanics. So only a question of interpretation. A pilot wave implies a kind of non-locality.

One issue that gets raised in objection to Bohmian mechanics is that there's no analogue comparable to quantum field theory as of yet - that is, no one has managed to integrate special relativity with Bohmian mechanics (at least, last I bothered to check). There are of course other objections, including some which are more philosophical in nature, but the one I mentioned is probably the most practical in nature.

Originally posted by eljose79
that is my question..why is not true and physicist take it into account to solve problems?..why is not valid...what are the errors?..why is not equivalent to the ortodox ..quantum mechanics?.

and if it is not valid...why are works about it published in physical magazines...why are books speaking about it?..(in fact anyone would not care speaking about something that everybody knows is false)..i have this doubt..

Bohm's work (non-local hidden variable interpretation of QM) is taken seriously. Unfortunately, it suffers from 2 problems:

a) It made no new testable predictions different than the QM it was intended to "overlap".
b) It requires non-locality - violation of Einstein's c - causing it to lose favor in some camps.

1. Why do some scientists believe Bohm quantum mechanics is not true?

There are several reasons why some scientists do not believe Bohm quantum mechanics is a valid theory. One reason is that it includes non-local hidden variables, which go against the principles of quantum mechanics. Additionally, it has been argued that Bohm quantum mechanics is not as mathematically consistent as other theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation.

2. How does Bohm quantum mechanics differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Bohm quantum mechanics differs from other interpretations in that it proposes a deterministic view of the universe, meaning that the outcome of any given experiment is predetermined. It also introduces the concept of hidden variables, which are not present in other interpretations.

3. Has Bohm quantum mechanics been experimentally proven?

No, Bohm quantum mechanics has not been experimentally proven. While there have been some experiments that support its predictions, there are also many experiments that contradict them. This lack of consistency is one of the main reasons why many scientists do not consider it a valid theory.

4. Are there any practical applications of Bohm quantum mechanics?

Some proponents of Bohm quantum mechanics have suggested potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and communication. However, there is currently no consensus on whether these applications are feasible or if they would provide any advantages over other quantum mechanical theories.

5. Can Bohm quantum mechanics be reconciled with other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

There have been attempts to reconcile Bohm quantum mechanics with other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation. However, there are fundamental differences between these theories that make it difficult to fully merge them. Ultimately, the debate over which interpretation is the most accurate is ongoing and may never have a definitive answer.