Why Brazil Lost: Zidane's Freekick vs Henry

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: This is the responsibility of the defenders around him. In summary, Zidane's free kick in the quarter final match against Brazil was caught by the Brazilian defender, Roberto Carlos. Roberto Carlos was bending down, and just started "waking up" when Henry put the ball in. From replays, it is fairly certain that Roberto Carlos had the ball go between his legs. France outplayed Brazil, and neither Zidane nor Thierry were responsible for making sure the Brazilians had time to adjust their shoes.
neutrino
I may not be as observant as other football-crazy people out there, but I received a forwarded mail showing stills of Zidane's free kick from the quarter final match. Henry was free to do almost anything in the space he had, but if you notice closely, one of the Brazilians (supposedly Roberto Carlos) was bending down holding his knees, and just started to "wake up" when Henry put the ball in.

Posting all those stills here will take a long time, so check out this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EM737ikdmjo&search=henry brazil france

(Notice the last Brazilian at the right).

Physics news on Phys.org
Like a true defender, once beaten, he makes sure he's nowhere near the scene of the crime, leaving his poor goalkeeper holding the bag.

I think that this defender had his eye on the French guy outside the middle of the penalty area.

From replays on tv I'm fairly certain it was Roberto Carlos and I'm fairly certain he was either tying his shoes or adjusting his socks.

I'm also fairly certain Roberto Carlos had the ball go between his legs while standing on the line during the '98 final, but can't seem to track down a video.

In an earlier match in '98 World Cup I'm also fairly certain Robert Carlos attempted clearance from the back with a bicycle kick that ended up conceeding a goal.

I'm fairly certain Roberto Carlos has the worst defensive abilities I've seen in a supposed world class defender, so I'm not sure him following Henry would have helped.

France outplayed Brazil in general during the game. It's easy to pick at a particular spot in the game and start making representations.

Notably, neither Zidane nor Thierry is not responsible for making sure that the Brazilians have time to adjust their shoes or whatever.

What happened during the freekick that led to Brazil's loss?

During the 2006 World Cup quarterfinal match between Brazil and France, Zinedine Zidane scored a freekick goal against Brazil's goalkeeper, Dida, in the 57th minute. This goal ultimately led to Brazil's loss with a final score of 1-0.

Why was Zidane's freekick considered a turning point in the game?

Zidane's freekick was considered a turning point in the game because it was the only goal scored by either team and it came at a crucial moment in the match. Brazil, being the defending champions, were expected to win the match and were dominating possession until Zidane's goal shifted the momentum in France's favor. This goal also gave France the lead and put Brazil under pressure to equalize, which they were unable to do.

What factors contributed to Zidane's successful freekick against Brazil?

Zidane's successful freekick can be attributed to a combination of factors. Firstly, his technical skills and experience as a world-class player gave him the ability to take precise and powerful shots. He also had a good understanding of the game and was able to read the situation on the field, anticipating the movement of the ball and the positioning of the goalkeeper. Additionally, Brazil's defensive wall was not properly set up, giving Zidane more space and a clear shot at goal.

Did Henry's controversial handball play a role in Brazil's loss?

Thierry Henry's handball in the lead up to Zidane's freekick has been a source of controversy and speculation. Some argue that the referee should have called a handball and disallowed the goal, while others believe it was a minor incident and did not affect the outcome of the match. Ultimately, the goal was allowed to stand and there is no conclusive evidence that Henry's handball played a significant role in Brazil's loss.

How did Brazil react to their loss against France in the 2006 World Cup?

Brazil's loss to France in the 2006 World Cup was a major disappointment for the team and their fans. The defeat ended their hopes of defending their title and advancing to the semifinals. However, the team and coach Carlos Alberto Parreira accepted the defeat graciously and acknowledged France's strong performance. Many players expressed their disappointment but also their determination to come back stronger in future tournaments. Ultimately, Brazil's loss was a learning experience and a motivation for the team to improve and strive for success in future competitions.