Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Bush?

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1

EL

Science Advisor

How could anyone vote for him?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2
    Clue:
    The God Factor

4. Nov 8, 2004 #3

EL

Science Advisor

Yeah, forgott that God wants Bush to be president... :wink:

Can someone who voted for him please explain why?

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    I voted for Bush and I am not a God person it seems unreasonable to me that there is a being in space talking to people. I have BS. I am for Abortion and if I want to get hitched to my dog I should be able to who cares what I do as long as I do not hurt anyone. I agree with a way of thinking small Government, low taxes, I like to keep all my rights speech, guns, and killing embryos (sp?). I like the fact that the Bush administration has let the privet sector research and work with stem-cells as well as fund some of this. I guess I am more of a libertarian and the Republican Party is the closest I can get. I base my vote on a number of issues but mainly I vote on basic ideals of a party. Also I am ok with the invasion of Iraq.

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

ptex, that's not far from my position, though I am a "liberal republican." -- its a lot more complicated than just the "God" factor.

Frankly, it seems to me that there is a lot of rationalization going on (the Philly Inquirer this weekend had a lot [wrong] to say). Most democrats, the party, and the media still haven't a clue (or just plain won't accept) why Kerry lost.

7. Nov 8, 2004 #6

kat

Somehow it's assumed that moral issues must equal faith and God...unless of course you're argueing with an atheist or agnostic that you must believe in god to have morals and then, it's absurd to think that morals are limited to the faithful....*shakes head* I'm just so confused...

8. Nov 8, 2004 #7
    This is the part that's not clear to me. If a guy in your neighborhood attacked me, should I kill your dog and use the BBQ in your backyard?

9. Nov 8, 2004 #8

kat

If your son broke into my neighbor and friends home and raped his wife and daughters, beat or murdered his sons and generally pillaged his house....and I caught him red handed...brought him back to you and told you to keep him locked in the house and get him counseling or I'd beat the **** out of you and you let him out and didn't get him counseling should I beat the **** out of you. I think so...and with a smile on my face. :rolleyes:

10. Nov 8, 2004 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

11. Nov 8, 2004 #10

russ_watters

To illustrate that: I'm a Presbyterian, but I'm not strongly religious (or, rather, my beliefs don't fit well with what any church preaches). But moral leadership/courage is extremely important to me.

It may well be that Bush attacked Iraq simply because he's a gun-toting Texan, but it was still the morally right thing to do (whether that makes it the best thing for the country is another issue...).

12. Nov 8, 2004 #11
    I suspect you voted for the wrong guy:

-Bush is against gay marriage
    -Bush is against abortion
    -Bush is against stem-cell research

13. Nov 8, 2004 #12
    Well, this case is a bit more complicated ... The son seems to deserve the beating more than the dad, though, but he does have a responsibility. But it is the specific case I posted that I am asking about : 3 men, a dog and a BBQ.

My point is that I don't see the rationnal for invading Iraq, there is no evidence for Saddam and Bin Laden beings friends, any more than some Sunny groups and Shiite groups are.

14. Nov 8, 2004 #13

kat

Well..you see that's what happens when you choose one vague reason in place of the single most legitimate reason, failure to meet his own agreed upon standards for a cease fire...for 10 years.

15. Nov 8, 2004 #14
    Well, that may just be the best justification. The UN was apparently working on this, though. Was it doing a good job? I would hope that it did. The US does have its word through it, after all.

16. Nov 8, 2004 #15
    Ptex, please read my response to this similar ideology in Why I Voted For Bush, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51438&page=1, I'll post it here just for simplicity, but I hope it helps you find that the republican party is not a party deserving of your vote.

17. Nov 8, 2004 #16
    One of the problems in the U.S today is that many people think there is no such thing as a liberal republican or conservative democrat. Everyone automatically assumes a republican is conservative and a democrat a liberal. That's why I am a registered independent.

I have not checked out the second link yet but as to the first link, it was not president bush that personally did this. It was the moron that was in charge of security personnel. You can hardly blame him (Bush) for their mistake, it was not as if it was directed from him, what he believes in or anyone else invovled in his campaign, it was just his security or "event staff."

18. Nov 8, 2004 #17
    Ptex I believe Pit is right and I think you are confused about two or three things.

19. Nov 8, 2004 #18

EL

Science Advisor

Here is what I feel:

It's okay to make a mistake, as long as you learn from it.
    It's stupidity to make the same mistake again if you knew you where wrong the first time.
    It's frightening to not even notice the first mistake.

USA is part of the world.
    USA affects the world (more than most americans are aware of).
    The rest of the world affects USA (more than most americans are aware of).

USA is the only superpower left, and therefore the american people has a huge responsibility.
    If you just care about americans I can, if I really try hard, perhaps get an understanding for (but not acceptance) how you could vote for Bush if you just think short-termed.
    If you say you care about the human race in general and voted Bush, you must be either fanatic religious, restricted, or telling a lie.

Bush invaded the wrong country for the wrong reasons, and still gets the americans to think he did the correct thing, you gotta give him credit for that! I know another man who managed to fool a hole nation. He had a small mustasche and spasmes in his right arm...but this was long ago, and it's not even fair to compare Bush with him...it's nothing that could happen again...

That the rest of the world prefered Kerry could not have been missed by any american, however restricted. Perhaps this was one of the main reasons for Bush's victory. As usual the patriotic (sorry for swearing) american nation goes the other way...just because...like a child...as it has done so many times. (For example, how come USA hasn't signed the Kyoto protocol? Oh yeah, egoistic (short-termed) reasons it was...)
    You now had a chance to say to the world: Ok, we did a misstake, anyone can, but we have currage to stand for it and make a change for the better!...But you didn't...
    I feel failed by the american people. I really thought you would for once think before you act, but oh what I was wrong (which in fact makes me stupid due to the first part of this text).
    I do not know if you are just egoistic (in a very destructive short-termed-thinking way) or if you are just as restricted as the rumours goes. And in fact I do not know which one of them I feel more frightening...

Just don't get me wrong now. I like USA in many ways, although I really think you are on the wrong track now.
    I think it's best to be totally honest about what I think and how I feel. Maybe someone can get me on other thoughts?

20. Nov 8, 2004 #19

russ_watters

Very, very true - particularly in the parties themselves.

21. Nov 8, 2004 #20

kat

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?