Work Done by Elevator Cable in Sample Problem 7-6

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the calculation of work done by the gravitational force and elevator cable during a 12m fall. The textbook provides a method for finding the cable's pull and using it to calculate the work, but the answer given does not match the calculated value. After further analysis, it is discovered that the discrepancy is due to a mistake in substituting values into the equation. Once this mistake is corrected, the correct answer is found to be -47 kJ, matching the textbook's answer.
Soyuz42
Homework Statement
An elevator cab of mass m=500 kg is descending with speed v_i=4.0 m/s when its supporting cable begins to slip, allowing it to fall with constant acceleration vec{a}=vec{g}/5 (Figure (a)).
The answer to "(a) During a fall through a distance d=12 m, what is the work done on the cab by the gravitational force vec{F_g}?" is 59 kJ. The answer to "(b) During the 12 m fall, what is the work W_T done on the cab by the upward pull of vec{T} of the elevator cable?" is -47 kJ, and the answer is arrived at by using the free body diagram in Fig. (b) to solve for T, and then using that to solve for W_T. using equation (1) below. My question pertains to (b): why do I get a different answer when I use the work-kinetic energy theorem?
Relevant Equations
(1) W=F*d*cos(phi)
(2) K_f = K_i + W (Work-kinetic energy theorem)
(3) W_g = mgd*cos(phi), where phi is the angle between force and displacement.
Fig. 7-10.png

As stated, part (a) says that the work done by the gravitational force ##\vec{F_g}## is 59 kJ. If ##W_T## is the work done by the elevator cable during the 12 m fall, then using the work-kinetic energy theorem,
\begin{align*}
K_f -K_i &= W_g + W_T\\
\frac12m({v_f}^2 - {v_i}^2) &= 59000 + W_T\\
\frac12m(a\Delta d)=5886&=59000 + W_T\\
W_T &\approx -53 \text{ kJ},
\end{align*}
while the answer quoted in the text is ##-47## kJ. Why is there a discrepancy?

Answer to (b) in the textbook

"A key idea here is that we can calculate the work ##W_T## with Eq. 7-7 (##W=Fd\cos\phi##) if we first find an expression for the magnitude ##T## of the cable's pull. A second key idea is that we can find that expression by writing Newton's second law for components along the ##y## axis in Fig. 7-10b (##F_{\text{net},y} = ma_y##). We get $$T-F_g=ma.$$ Solving for ##T##, substituting ##mg## for ##F_g##, and then substituting the result in Eq. 7-7, we obtain $$W_T=Td\cos\phi = m(a+g)d\cos\phi.$$ Next, substituting ##-g/5## for the (downward) acceleration ##a## and then ##180^\circ## for the angle ##\phi## between the directions of forces ##\vec{T}## and ##m\vec{g}##, we find
\begin{align}
W_T&= m\left(-\frac{g}{5} + g\right) d\cos\phi = \frac45mgd\cos\phi\nonumber\\
&=\frac45(500\text{ kg})(9.8 \text{ m/s^2})(12\text{ m})\cos 180^\circ\nonumber\\
&= -4.70\times 10^4 \text{ J} = -47 \text{ kJ}.\tag{Answer}
\end{align}
(The question and figure are from sample problem 7-6, pg. 149 of Fundamentals of Physics 7e, by Halliday et al.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, the method was fine, but I incorrectly substituted ##a\Delta d##, instead of ##2a\Delta d##, for ##{v_f}^2 - {v_i}^2##. I would save face but I do not know how to delete this thread.

Likes Steve4Physics and berkeman
Soyuz42 said:
Never mind, the method was fine, but I incorrectly substituted ##a\Delta d##, instead of ##2a\Delta d##, for ##{v_f}^2 - {v_i}^2##. I would save face but I do not know how to delete this thread.
No need to delete -- it's an interesting problem. Glad you figured it out.

Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile:

Likes SammyS, Steve4Physics and Soyuz42

What is the concept of work done by an elevator cable?

The work done by an elevator cable refers to the amount of energy required to lift or lower an elevator car from one floor to another. It is a measure of the force applied by the cable over a certain distance.

How is the work done by an elevator cable calculated?

The work done by an elevator cable can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the cable (tension) with the distance traveled by the elevator car. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance.

What factors affect the work done by an elevator cable?

The work done by an elevator cable is affected by the weight of the elevator car, the distance traveled, and the speed at which the car is moving. The tension in the cable also plays a role in determining the amount of work done.

How does the work done by an elevator cable change when the elevator is moving up or down?

The work done by an elevator cable is the same regardless of whether the elevator is moving up or down. This is because the force and distance are the same in both cases. However, the direction of the work done will be opposite, with upward movement resulting in positive work and downward movement resulting in negative work.

Why is the work done by an elevator cable important to consider?

The work done by an elevator cable is important to consider because it represents the amount of energy needed to operate an elevator. This can impact the efficiency and cost of operating an elevator, as well as the safety of passengers. It is also a key factor in determining the power and capacity of an elevator system.