Why Can't I Cancel e^x in this Expression?

• Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the question was about finding g' when x=0, and the student had cancelled e^x from both terms in the expression. However, the TA pointed out that the cancellation was incorrect. The student had forgotten to ask why and later realized their mistake. The TA suggests using a different approach to avoid similar mistakes in the future. The student admits to making a "stupid" mistake and attributes it to possibly going too fast or being sleep deprived. They also mention a funny comic in the expert's signature.
AFG34
[SOLVED] Why can't i cancel this term?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2jcc49l&s=4
The function g(x) is stated in the first line.
The question asks for g' when x=0

In the third line, i canceled e^x from both terms in the expression. The TA wrote that i can't do that. I forgot to ask him and now i need to know why.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It was not wrong to cancel, but you canceled wrong.
you had (e^x)(e^x)/e^x
then e^x
then 1
where did the other e^x go?
as an aside
g=exp(x)log3(e^x)
why no try
g=exp(x)log(e^x)/log(3)=x exp(x)/log(3)
to start and avoid the other problems?

When reviewing your mistakes, it's not enough to ask why you were wrong -- you also have to ask yourself why you thought you were right.

So, why did you think you were right?

Looked at it again and found my mistake...one of those "stupid" mistakes. I thought i was right because i thought it was legal to cancel e^x..maybe i was going too fast or i wasn't concentrating enough due to sleep deprivation.

Thanks for your replies.

btw, funny comic in your sig Hurkyl. Once my math teacher told us that the reason he chose to teach math is because you're either right or wrong...no in between.

1. Why is it difficult to cancel a term?

Canceling a term can be difficult because it involves a complex process of reviewing and modifying contracts or agreements. It may also involve negotiations with other parties and legal implications.

2. Can I cancel a term at any time?

The ability to cancel a term depends on the terms and conditions outlined in the contract or agreement. Some terms may have specific cancellation clauses, while others may not allow for cancellation at all.

3. What happens if I cancel a term?

If you are able to cancel a term, it may result in penalties or fees, depending on the terms outlined in the contract or agreement. It is important to carefully review the consequences of cancelling a term before proceeding.

4. Can I renegotiate the terms instead of cancelling?

In some cases, renegotiating the terms may be a better option than cancelling. This allows for potential changes or adjustments to be made to the terms without completely terminating the agreement.

5. How can I avoid having to cancel a term?

The best way to avoid having to cancel a term is to thoroughly review and understand the terms and conditions before entering into any agreement. This can help prevent any unexpected issues or changes that may lead to the need for cancellation.