Why can't i figure out inverses ahh simple 3X3 matrix

In summary, the conversation was about how to find the inverse of a 3x3 matrix using different methods. The first method involved finding the determinant and multiplying it by the adjoint matrix. The second method involved row reduction. The conversation also touched on how to find the adjoint of a 3x3 matrix and the importance of understanding the definition of "adjoint". The conversation ended with a demonstration of how to find the inverse of a 3x3 matrix using the determinant and adjoint method, which was confirmed by using a calculator.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, i have no idea why i can't grasp this simple concept...
i have:
A =
1 4 9
0 1 9
0 0 1

I have to find A^-1, A inverse.
So I found the determinant along row 3,
1*det(B) = 1;
B =
1 4
0 1
det(B) = (1)(1) - (4)(0) = 1;
so i take 1/det * A now wouldn't that just be A itself?
When i submitted the answer
A inverse =
1 4 9
0 1 9
0 0 1

it said,
Entered Answer Preview Result
1 1 correct
4 4 incorrect
9 9 incorrect
0 0 correct
1 1 correct
9 9 incorrect
0 0 correct
0 0 correct
1 1 correct

Physics news on Phys.org
simply write the matrix [A|I] and row-reduce until you get [I|A^-1]

thats a harder method, he taught us that one, he is showing us a new way, by multiplying the adjoint by 1/determinant, ur way will work but its very time consuming.

mr_coffee said:
so i take 1/det * A now wouldn't that just be A itself?

No, it's the adjoint of A you have to multiply, not A...

how do u find the adjoint of A if its more t hen a 2x2?
I know how to find it if its a 2x2, by negating the b and c, and switching the a and d. But how would i find the adjoint of a 3 x3?

mr_coffee said:
how do u find the adjoint of A if its more t hen a 2x2?
I know how to find it if its a 2x2, by negating the b and c, and switching the a and d. But how would i find the adjoint of a 3 x3?

Check your other thread :smile:

You start by knowing the definition of "adjoint"!
The "i,j" entry in the adjoint is the "cofactor" of the "j,i" entry in the original matrix.
The "cofactor" of an "j,i" entry is the determinant of the matrix formed by dropping the row and column that entry is in, times 1 or -1 depending on the parity of i+j.
When you have more experience, especially with larger order matrices than "2 by 2", you will realize that "row reduction" is far easier!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! :)

Ivy... Say you have a huge matrix, your allowed to use ur calculator, wouldn't it be easier to find the determinant, because a calcualtor can do that quite easily, rather then row reducing?

Matrix Inversion

So, letting matrix A =A

A= 1 4 9
0 1 9
0 0 1

The Determinant of A = 1

Taking the cofactors of A:
c(1,1) = '+' * determinant of | 1 9 |
| 0 1 |
= 1*1 - 0*9 = +1 (indicating positive 1)

c(1,2) = '-' * determinant of | 0 9 |
| 0 1 |
= '-' 0 = 0

Following the same logic ie + - + - + - + , etc till c(3,3)
The cofactors in matrix form are:
| 1 0 0 |
| -4 1 0 |
| 27 -9 1 |

Switching the rows with columns:

| 1 -4 27|
| 0 1 -9 |
| 0 0 1 |

Then dividing by the determinant of A:

| 1 -4 27|
| 0 1 -9 |
| 0 0 1 |

gives you the inverse of A

Checking with my handy dandy TI89

It checks out!

1. Why do I need to figure out inverses for a 3x3 matrix?

Inverses are important because they allow us to solve equations involving matrices. They also allow us to find solutions to systems of linear equations, which have many real-world applications.

2. What makes figuring out inverses for a 3x3 matrix difficult?

Inverses for 3x3 matrices can be difficult because they involve a lot of calculations and can be time-consuming. They also require a good understanding of matrix operations and algebraic concepts.

3. Can I use a calculator to figure out inverses for a 3x3 matrix?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the inverse of a 3x3 matrix. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the steps involved in finding the inverse in order to verify the results and understand the process.

4. What are the steps to figuring out inverses for a 3x3 matrix?

The steps to finding the inverse of a 3x3 matrix involve setting up the matrix, finding the determinant, finding the adjugate matrix, and finally dividing the adjugate matrix by the determinant to get the inverse.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for figuring out inverses for a 3x3 matrix?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find inverses for 3x3 matrices. These include using row operations, using the cofactor expansion method, and using the matrix of minors method. It is important to understand these methods and when to use them.