Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why cant see

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    y cant i see currecntly active users ??? tnx

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2
    you've been banned, but they think that just stopping you coming will result in a bypass with a proxy so instead they rerout people like us to an 'alternate' PF, we're actually posting in a fofum that doesn't exist. Notice the archive only goes back 6 pages. ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!

4. Jan 28, 2005 #3

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (You were kidding, right? :uhh: ) :rofl: :rofl:

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4

No its all real. Tribdog just PMed me about, so it has to be real :approve:

6. Jan 28, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's just you people with the green quote buttons. The rest of us just pop in once in a while to bring food and water and make sure nobody is trying to break out. :rofl:

Greg must be fixing something around here that different people are seeing different things.

7. Jan 28, 2005 #6
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Stop, you're killing me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    (This is a joke, right fellas? :uhh: Fellas?) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    :rofl: :rofl: This just gets funnier! :rofl: You'll be telling all of you guys are real next, not just characters from this great software package I downloaded one night, that I can't really remember doing. :rofl: :rofl: :cry: :rofl:

8. Jan 30, 2005 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's true, there's an alternate PF. Greg arranged it so that banned members interact with a forum full of chatbots with the same name and signature as those in the real PF. This will have to do until we get our Matrix perfected. Until then, you'll never know which PF you're in! :bugeye:

Oooga Boooga! :yuck:

9. Jan 30, 2005 #8
    So I could have been banned and I would not know it? I could been talking to chatbots now and making a fool of myself?? I am really starting to hate life. :cry:

The Bob (2004 ©)

10. Jan 30, 2005 #9

Take some of my grey goose, its the perfect cure for that.

11. Jan 31, 2005 #10
    If The Bob is the only one who's real, that means I'm a chatbot...
    ...actually, that makes sense of a lot of things in my life...

12. Jan 31, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I love all the conspiracy theories! You know, it only just occurred to me what the original question was actually asking though. Way down at the bottom of the screen is the list of currently active users for a page, and sometimes there will be several members listed as viewing, but no names listed, or the numbers don't match up. One of the "perks" of being a contributor is you can run around the board in "stealth mode" (okay, it's called invisible mode, but I like calling it stealth mode better), which means your name doesn't show up on the user list and your little green button doesn't light up under your name, so people don't know if you're watching or not. We know Evo sneaks around in stealth mode, and I know of a few others who do as well.

But, back to the conspiracies...:rofl:

13. Jan 31, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, it was actually a tribdog-simulating algorithm that PM'd you.

trust no one.

14. Jan 31, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about The great thing about
    error 4F

15. Jan 31, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The great thing about the chatbots is that you can never tell if they're real people or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?