Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Can't We Quantify Wffs

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    Why do we have to quantify over variables only -- why can't we quantify statements as well? Just out of curiosity... Does it lead to paradoxes or anything?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    I suppose you can quantify over statements if you like. Perhaps you are thinking of "second order logic."

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If what you say is true than something would prevent us from using a variable that represented a statement and quantifying over that variable. I don't know what system of logic you are talking about. I suppose that systems of logic need some precautions against being "self referential". Is there a specific statement in the material you are studying that restricts what a variable can represent?

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    In Logic, you may apply quantifiers over symbols that refer to other entities: first-order variables refer to individuals within a class; second-order variables (also known as predicate or class variables) refer to classes of individuals, and you may go on from here.

Now, it is indeed known that unrestricted second-order quantification leads to inconsistencies (the most well-known is Russell's Paradox; look it up), but that is not exactly your problem: if by a statement you mean a closed expression (no free variables), then it is either true or false in any given interpretation; but what does this refer to? To what entities?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook