Why is my dremel having trouble cutting wood?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Wood
In summary, the dremel is a nifty tool, but it may be difficult to cut wood with it because the saw blade can't move quickly enough.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Why can't you cut wood...

Ok so i have this dremel... 35000rpm and cordless. I got this mini-saw attachment shown here...

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html [Broken]

Now i have this piece of wood and it has holes in it in a neat grid pattern (if anyone knows waht kind of wood has that). Its a really light wood and all. The batteries fully charged. Why is it that the stupid thing is just hard as heck to cut. When the saw blade touches the wood, the motor freezes up half the time. I've only used the tool like 1 or 2 times but i never cleaned them. Is the saw not being cleaned causing this? Is there a certain speed i should have the dremel on? (I put it on highest, 35000rpm setting).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Is there a certain speed i should have the dremel on? (I put it on highest, 35000rpm setting).
The whole trick to using a Dremel or similar tool is to apply the least possible pressure on the target. Restrict your depth of cut to a few thousandths of an inch and take your time. I used the K7 blades in my locksmith job, and they'll eat through armour plate steel as if it wasn't there, as long as you don't rush it. Those tools have no torque at all, so they don't work if you let them slow down. The only exception that I know of is when sanding (those little drums have to go 10,000rpm or less, else they burn the wood), or when working with some plastics that melt.

The pegboard you are trying to cut is a compressed wood product bound with glues or resins, sometimes sold under the name Masonite. It is very dense and, as you said, hard to cut, especially with something like a dremel. If you have a handsaw or fine-tooth circular saw, you'd be better off, there's more torque/inertia involved with these. Just don't spin/push the blade too quickly, the wood will burn and scorch readily. Like Danger said, go slow.

Or do what I did, get a rotozip, a lot more torque for the buck! Tho I still use the dremel for fine detail work.

1. Why can't you cut wood with a knife?

Wood is a hard material and requires a sharp and strong tool to cut through it. A knife is not designed to have the necessary strength or sharpness to effectively cut through wood.

2. Why can't you cut wood with scissors?

Similar to a knife, scissors are not designed to have the strength or sharpness required to cut through wood. Additionally, the blades of scissors are too short to make a clean cut through a thick piece of wood.

3. Why can't you cut wood with your hands?

Wood is a solid and dense material, making it impossible for human hands to exert enough force to cut through it. Even if a person had the strength, their hands would likely get injured in the process.

4. Why can't you cut wood with a saw blade?

A saw blade is specifically designed for cutting wood and other materials. However, it requires a saw handle or machine to effectively use the blade and create a smooth cut. Attempting to use just a saw blade without proper equipment would be dangerous and ineffective.

5. Why can't you cut wood with a hammer?

A hammer is a tool used for driving nails or breaking objects, not cutting. The blunt edge and shape of a hammer are not suitable for cutting through wood. Attempting to use a hammer as a cutting tool could result in injury or damage to the wood.