Why Are CPU Prices Skyrocketing? Exploring the Factors Behind Rising CPU Costs

• Thread starter Sakha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary: Really? A quarter-million dollars for a kilogram?The estimate for the cost of a CPU without R&D and equipment is $25.
Sakha
The other day, watching to buy a new computer I saw CPU prices, and I asked myself why prices are so high.
I mean, its just a tiny piece of semiconductor.
Does the high price comes from the design of them, or it's that manufacturing them are expensive and machines to work at such small dimensions are expensive?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's all in the R&D. And I wouldn't say they are all that expensive historically.

Like russ said, the materials are likely relatively cheap. But the money it takes to develop new technologies is quite large.

A relatively good CPU is just under $200 bucks. The price is mostly set by the supply-demand law, but it's an excellent value considering what went into making it.

So what would you guys estimate be the price of the actual CPU, not counting the R&D, nor the equipment, just the actual product? $25?

Sakha said:
So what would you guys estimate be the price of the actual CPU, not counting the R&D, nor the equipment, just the actual product? $25?

After R+D the biggest production cost is paying for the plant.
A 45nm fab with 300mm wafers producing around 25,000 wafers a month costs $3-5 Billion to build.

The area cost of a Pentium type CPU on 300mm is around $10-15.

mgb_phys said:
After R+D the biggest production cost is paying for the plant.
A 45nm fab with 300mm wafers producing around 25,000 wafers a month costs $3-5 Billion to build.

The area cost of a Pentium type CPU on 300mm is around $10-15.

Wow.. that's alot.
So R&D is what, $20 Billion, for let's say, a new model?

Brand is expensive too.

Sakha said:
Wow.. that's alot.
So R&D is what, $20 Billion, for let's say, a new model?

Intel spends around $5B a year on R+D.
There is also a lot of spend on getting the plant to operate at peak efficency.

Also, you have to consider the small window of time for recovering the R&D cost. Because the technology is continually improving the sales lifetime of a new CPU design is very short, so the R&D cost also has to be recovered quickly and cannot be spread over a decade of sales.

I think prices are very reasonable for what goes into putting one into a consumer's hands.

Although admittedly they aren't bread & milk type purchases for the average person.
My new workstation has a pair of 2.8GHz Harpertown Quad-Cores... and I've done some sacrificing to get that machine under my desk.

The price at manufacturing time is low then many tax and other expenses make price high, second thing if price are very low but other manufacturer selling it on high price and people are purchasing it without hesitation than who will deny this and will sell on low price?

Sakha said:
The other day, watching to buy a new computer I saw CPU prices, and I asked myself why prices are so high.
I mean, its just a tiny piece of semiconductor.
Does the high price comes from the design of them, or it's that manufacturing them are expensive and machines to work at such small dimensions are expensive?

Dude, why don't you go to a flipping marketing forum or a computer engineering forum? Costs concerning CPU's isn't a computer science related issue unless you're talking about how computer science techniques can be used to predict optimal prices for CPUs provided that you have certain factors that go into it, etc.

But, this by in of itself isn't a csci issue.

I feel processors are very cheap as compared to the huge effort to develop and produce them. So cheap in fact, that only two companies have survived.

They cost 200$ instead of 20$ because customers are willing to pay 200$ to get a better one. And they do get something for their 200$.

If you don't want to give that amount, buy older or used hardware as I do. Very interesting for computers, as they lose their merchant value too quickly.

About material costs: Cpu-grade silicon isn't sand. It's 10s times as expensive as gold per kg.

The funny this is people don't understand a standard 1.8 ghz CPU is all they need (normally).. But they all want the 2.5 ghz duos, etc, which cost $200 more... and many people don't realize the most important hardware on a computer is the motherboard.. And the huge bottle neck in overall performance is the slow speed of the hard disk.

Sakha said:
How much would a Picasso cost if you only count the cost of paints and canvas?

Enthalpy said:
About material costs: Cpu-grade silicon isn't sand. It's 10s times as expensive as gold per kg.

Really? A quarter-million dollars for a kilogram?

Forgive my skepticism, but do you have a source for that?

The raw silicon is very cheap - I think the poster is confused by some statistic of the cost of a finished chip. A CPU 1cm square and 0.1mm thick would be expensive / kg.
A raw 300mm Si wafer is a few $100, it's a few $1000 to put the CPUs on and process.

Just out of interest, the latest 45nm quad-core CPU die is 220mm^2 and costs $1K
The most expensive painting ever sold is 138*138cm = 1.9M mm^2 and cost $135M,
so paint is still 15x as expensive as sand.

edit - I had the Klimt portrait listed as the most expensive.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
A CPU 1cm square and 0.1mm thick would be expensive / kg.

I agree with that. I remember reading (perhaps ten years ago, when chips were bigger!) that the price of processors was more than gold per pound.

mgb_phys said:
Just out of interest, the latest 45nm quad-core CPU die is 220mm^2 and costs $1K
The most expensive painting ever sold is 138*138cm = 1.9M mm^2 and cost $135M,
so paint is still 15x as expensive as sand.

Okay, now you have me hooked. I found a list on Wikipedia of the most expensive paintings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_paintings
and used their inflation-adjusted numbers for sale price along with the dimensions for paintings (as found by Google or the like). The best I've found so far is van Gogh's "Portrait of Dr. Gachet" with an inflation-adjusted value of $868 per square mm.

The Mona Lisa is 2-3 times larger, but might be worth five times as much...

michinobu said:
Dude, why don't you go to a flipping marketing forum or a computer engineering forum? Costs concerning CPU's isn't a computer science related issue unless you're talking about how computer science techniques can be used to predict optimal prices for CPUs provided that you have certain factors that go into it, etc.

But, this by in of itself isn't a csci issue.

Exactly ! I completely Agree with you. Well said..

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't modern CPU's very difficult to engineer due to the push for more speed all while having hit a ceiling a few year back?

All CPUs are difficult to engineer, always have been and always will be!
When they hit the 3GHz ceiling it got trickier having to get more performance out of smarter pipelines, branch predicts and other optimisations. If anything multi-core chips are easier, just copy and paste the core design 2 or 4 times!

Of course getting 2Billion transistors on a 1/2in square bit of silicon to work is harder - but that's the fabs problem!

1. Why are CPU prices so high?

The prices of CPUs are determined by several factors, including supply and demand, production costs, and market competition. In recent years, there has been a high demand for CPUs due to the growth of the technology industry and the increasing use of computers in various fields, leading to an increase in prices. Additionally, the cost of producing advanced and more powerful CPUs has also risen, contributing to the high prices.

2. Will CPU prices ever go down?

It is difficult to predict the future of CPU prices, as they are influenced by various market factors. However, in the past, we have seen fluctuations in CPU prices, with periods of high and low prices. As technology continues to advance and competition in the market increases, it is possible that prices may go down in the future.

3. How do CPU prices affect the overall cost of computers?

The CPU is one of the most crucial components in a computer, and its price significantly impacts the overall cost of the computer. As CPU prices increase, the cost of building or buying a computer also increases. This is because the CPU is responsible for carrying out most of the computer's tasks and is often the most expensive component in a computer.

4. Are there any alternatives to buying expensive CPUs?

There are some alternatives to buying expensive CPUs, such as purchasing a refurbished or older model CPU, or opting for a lower-performing CPU that may still meet your needs. Additionally, some companies offer CPU rental services, where you can rent a high-performance CPU for a specific period instead of purchasing it outright.

5. How can consumers save money on CPU purchases?

One way to save money on CPU purchases is to wait for sales or promotions from retailers. It is also important to research and compare prices from different retailers to find the best deal. Additionally, considering the specific needs and uses of the CPU can help avoid overspending on a more powerful and expensive model that may not be necessary.