1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why degree rankine?

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

I know kelvin has no degrees because it is an absolute scale, but I've never seen rankine not be associated with a degree, yet it is also an absolute scale. Anyone know why this is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I think it should as well be °K because the degree basically refers to the step size which matters a lot. However, it simply doesn't make a difference. Most likely it's for historical reasons (which I don't know).

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

Tom.G

Science Advisor

5. Jun 27, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it is just Kelvin, no degrees

that I also didn't know ... thought it has always just been just Kelvin

live and learn :smile:

6. Jun 27, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hadn't even heard Rankine temp scale..... must have been in very limited use

D

7. Jun 28, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but I still think (meant as an opinion, not as an assumption) °K would be more accurate.

Yes! And I've read about many other scales I've never heard of before, too. I always thought Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit and Réaumur were all.

And I learned that Celsius was an upside down scale in its beginning, i.e. freezing at 100°C, evaporation at 0°C! It has been changed by Linné shortly after Celsius' death. And the Russian also used a turned scale in the 19th century: °D (Delisle).

And I learned that the triple point of water defines Kelvin. I've always wondered where the discrepancy between 273,15°C and 273,16°C comes from. I mistakenly thought it had something to do with the change of definition since my school days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted