Why is Rankine Measured in Degrees?

• B
  • Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the Rankine (°R) scale is a temperature scale once used in the United States that is based on the Fahrenheit (°F) temperature scale. It has the freezing point of water defined as 491.67 °R.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I know kelvin has no degrees because it is an absolute scale, but I've never seen rankine not be associated with a degree, yet it is also an absolute scale. Anyone know why this is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it should as well be °K because the degree basically refers to the step size which matters a lot. However, it simply doesn't make a difference. Most likely it's for historical reasons (which I don't know).

fresh_42 said:
I think it should as well be °K

it is just Kelvin, no degrees

since 1967, no longer written °K

that I also didn't know ... thought it has always just been just Kelvinlive and learn :smile:

Maylis said:
but I've never seen Rankine not be associated with a degree

hadn't even heard Rankine temp scale... must have been in very limited use

Another absolute temperature scale is the Rankine (°R) scale, once used by engineers in the United States and based on the Fahrenheit (°F) temperature scale, with the freezing point of water defined as 491.67 °R. A degree Rankine, like a degree Fahrenheit, is 5/9 of a kelvin or degree Celsius.
D

davenn said:
it is just Kelvin, no degrees
Yes, but I still think (meant as an opinion, not as an assumption) °K would be more accurate.

live and learn :smile:
Yes! And I've read about many other scales I've never heard of before, too. I always thought Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit and Réaumur were all.

And I learned that Celsius was an upside down scale in its beginning, i.e. freezing at 100°C, evaporation at 0°C! It has been changed by Linné shortly after Celsius' death. And the Russian also used a turned scale in the 19th century: °D (Delisle).

And I learned that the triple point of water defines Kelvin. I've always wondered where the discrepancy between 273,15°C and 273,16°C comes from. I mistakenly thought it had something to do with the change of definition since my school days.

Likes davenn

1. Why is Rankine measured in degrees?

The Rankine scale is a thermodynamic temperature scale based on the Fahrenheit scale. It is commonly used in engineering and other technical fields to measure absolute temperature. The use of degrees on this scale is a way to quantify temperature and make it easier to compare values.

2. What is the difference between Rankine and other temperature scales?

The main difference between Rankine and other temperature scales, such as Celsius and Kelvin, is the reference point for absolute zero. On the Rankine scale, absolute zero is at 0 degrees, which is equivalent to -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. This is different from the Celsius and Kelvin scales, where absolute zero is at -273.15 degrees Celsius and 0 Kelvin, respectively.

3. Why is the Rankine scale important in engineering?

The Rankine scale is commonly used in engineering because it allows for precise and accurate measurements of temperature in a variety of systems and processes. It is particularly useful for measuring very high or very low temperatures, as it has a wider range compared to other temperature scales.

4. Is there a specific formula for converting Rankine to other temperature scales?

Yes, there are specific formulas for converting Rankine to other temperature scales. For example, to convert Rankine to Celsius, you can use the formula: °C = (°R - 491.67) * (5/9). Similarly, to convert Rankine to Kelvin, you can use the formula: K = °R * (5/9).

5. Can Rankine be used interchangeably with other temperature scales?

Yes, Rankine can be used interchangeably with other temperature scales, but it is important to note that it is not a standard unit of temperature measurement. Therefore, it is important to specify which temperature scale is being used when discussing temperatures in scientific or technical contexts.