Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why degree rankine?

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

I know kelvin has no degrees because it is an absolute scale, but I've never seen rankine not be associated with a degree, yet it is also an absolute scale. Anyone know why this is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I think it should as well be °K because the degree basically refers to the step size which matters a lot. However, it simply doesn't make a difference. Most likely it's for historical reasons (which I don't know).

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3
  5. Jun 27, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it is just Kelvin, no degrees

that I also didn't know ... thought it has always just been just Kelvin

live and learn :smile:

6. Jun 27, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hadn't even heard Rankine temp scale..... must have been in very limited use

D

7. Jun 28, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but I still think (meant as an opinion, not as an assumption) °K would be more accurate.

Yes! And I've read about many other scales I've never heard of before, too. I always thought Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit and Réaumur were all.

And I learned that Celsius was an upside down scale in its beginning, i.e. freezing at 100°C, evaporation at 0°C! It has been changed by Linné shortly after Celsius' death. And the Russian also used a turned scale in the 19th century: °D (Delisle).

And I learned that the triple point of water defines Kelvin. I've always wondered where the discrepancy between 273,15°C and 273,16°C comes from. I mistakenly thought it had something to do with the change of definition since my school days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted