Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why deprotonated?

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    Can someone explain to me why the carboxylic acid group and the amino group both have charges on them in neutral water? The pKa for carboxylic acid is around 2-5 depending on its enviroment. I am confused that a pKa of 2.3 would give a ratio of 80000 deprotonated to 1 protonated? If the acid has a pKa it means it is weak, a pKa of 2.3 gives a concentration lower than 1. I assume the majority would be protonated. But all info I read states that the majority is deprotonated at a pH of 7. Can someone explain why to me it is this way? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2
    [tex]pK_{a}-pH=log{{[HA]}\over{[A^{-}]}}[/tex]

The majority is protonated when [tex]pH<pK_{a}[/tex].

The majority is deprotonated when [tex]pH>pK_{a}[/tex].

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you asking why an amino acid is a zwitterion at neutral pH?

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the replies! I was having problems with looking at everything relative, because of course if you put a carboxyl group in water, it will make a low pH. What i did not understand is that a pH of 7 has so many hydroxyl groups to completely deprotonate the acid. So yeah it had to do with zwitterions too. Thank you guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook