Why did I receive an infraction?

• Thread starter freswood
  • Start date
In summary, the person noticed an infraction on one of their previous posts and is curious about what it means. They are requesting more information about the infraction and a link to the post in question. They are also advised to contact the mentor who issued the infraction directly instead of discussing it publicly.
freswood
I haven't logged on to this site for a while, and only today noticed that one of my previous posts receieved an infraction. What does that mean? It looks like it's something bad but there doesn't seem to be any information about it on the site.

I'd really like to know what I did wrong in the post so I know for the future. Here's the post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1256912#post1256912

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should have received a private message explaining the reason at the time it was issued. I will send you a new private message with the text of that copied to you. In the future, contact the mentor who issued the infraction directly rather than ask in the main forums. There's no need to make such things a public discussion, especially when it's a minor issue like this one is.

1. Why did I receive an infraction for my experiment?

Infractions are given when a scientist fails to follow proper protocols and safety measures during an experiment. This could include not wearing appropriate protective gear, not properly disposing of hazardous materials, or not following the approved procedure.

2. Can I appeal an infraction?

Yes, you can appeal an infraction by providing evidence or documentation that supports your case. It is important to carefully review the infraction and provide a detailed explanation of why you believe it was unjustified.

3. What happens if I receive multiple infractions?

If you receive multiple infractions, the consequences may become more severe. This could include suspension of your lab privileges, loss of funding, or even termination of your position. It is important to take infractions seriously and make an effort to prevent them in the future.

4. Can I receive an infraction if I didn't intend to break any rules?

Yes, infractions can still be given even if there was no malicious intent. As a scientist, it is your responsibility to be aware of and follow all protocols and safety measures. Ignorance or forgetfulness is not an excuse for breaking the rules.

5. How can I prevent receiving an infraction in the future?

The best way to prevent receiving an infraction is to always follow proper protocols and safety measures. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, properly disposing of hazardous materials, and following the approved procedure. It is also important to regularly review and stay updated on any changes to protocols and procedures in your field.