Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why did the big bang happened?

1. Jun 9, 2005 #1
    I've read some things about that, and the explanation was with a theory that aplies to quantum physics that the smallest particles, appear, dissapear shift direction, in sum they apply the theory of chaos to the big bang.. i don't understand how you can apply a theory that is used for infinitly small mass particles to explain the big bang where all matter and energy of the universe were concentrated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2005 #2
    This is not something that is known. There are theories, notably M-theory, which hypothesise a cause for the Big Bang (such as colliding branes - ouch), but none are known to be correct. It might even be unknowable.

4. Jun 9, 2005 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums, Diesel.
    As noted above, it is unknown "why the Big Bang happened". The mainstream scientific theory explains how the universe has evolved since the Big Bang happened, not what the original cause was. The ultimate cause is still a matter of speculation/hypothesis although M-theory has some interesting ideas (note that M-theory intends to include quantum mechanics in its explanations).

As you note, we can't directly apply the theories of quantum mechanics to the Big Bang singularity. Right now, modern physics can't really describe the singularity state. Research goes on....

5. Jun 9, 2005 #4

hellfire

Science Advisor

I agree with Phobos and El Hombre Invisible, but I just want to point out that there are proposals for the origin of the universe which are more close to standard physics than strings or M-theory. These are for example the Hartle-Hawking, Vilenkin and Linde models. Here is a paper of Vilenkin, not too difficult to read, with a short review of these models.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?