What drew you to the study of biology and disease pathogenesis?

• Thread starter StJohnRiver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why the individual chose to study biology, specifically focusing on the complexities of life and the potential to understand and alleviate human suffering through the study of biology. They also mention their interest in biophysics and the relevance of biology to their understanding of the human condition. They express a preference for studying living systems over inanimate ones and the desire to contribute to the field of medicine.
StJohnRiver
Why did you choose biology? Why not chemistry or physics? Is there something about the utter complexities of life that draw you to this discipline?

Biology news on Phys.org

What about biochemistry or biophysics?

Uhm, interesting, yes, those too could be included under the biology category. But why not unbiological chemistry or unbiological phhysics?

StJohnRiver said:
Uhm, interesting, yes, those too could be included under the biology category. But why not unbiological chemistry or unbiological phhysics?

Matter of personal taste. I did my undergrad in pure physics because I considered it the most fundamental science (I still do). But I became really fascinated with abiogenesis and evolution in the context of emergent comlpexity, so I've veered towards biophysics.

I can't tell you why not those things, but I can tell you why biology, or especially in my case, neuroscience: it's very relevant to understanding something about the human condition and human behavior.

For me it's the astounding complexity of biological systems and the keen interest in medicine. We've never come close to creating something as complex and adaptive as an organism and in some respects it's both humbling and inspiring to look at the metabolic pathways in a cell and see how they mindlessly lead to life.

Aside from this I hate illness. Hate it. Perhaps it's because I grew up with family members and friends who had long term and often crippling illnesses (witnessing my late grandmother's paralysis at age 5 had a huge impact on me) but if I can spend my life adding an increment of knowledge that could relieve some of that suffering I can die happy.

Ryan_m_b said:
For me it's the astounding complexity of biological systems and the keen interest in medicine. We've never come close to creating something as complex and adaptive as an organism and in some respects it's both humbling and inspiring to look at the metabolic pathways in a cell and see how they mindlessly lead to life.

+1

It's the complexity in biological systems that amazes me too. It is really amazing to see how living systems actually even exist despite all natural forces trying to tear it apart, through process that are perfectly within the laws of physics, that there is not vital principle of life and all of it happens on its own. As a 'system' therefore, an organism or a cell really interests me. Also evolution as a process of acuumulation of this complexity (in a way that is) is extremely fascinating.

I personally find living systems–or nearly living ones for that matter–far more interesting then inanimate ones. Understand life at the most fundamental levels is just extremely gratifying to me, but things like acoustics and electrodynamics are so boring to me.

I wanted to study the pathogenesis of diseases and cure them. Oh there is plenty of chemistry in there, not much physics anymore. Kind of miss it.

1. Why did you choose biology as your field of study?

I have always been fascinated by the complexities and diversity of living organisms. Biology allows me to explore and understand the fundamental processes that govern life on Earth.

2. What inspired you to pursue a career in biology?

I have always been curious about the natural world and the mechanisms that drive it. Through studying biology, I am able to uncover the mysteries of life and make meaningful contributions to the scientific community.

3. What specific aspect of biology interests you the most?

I am particularly interested in the field of genetics and the study of heredity and variation in living organisms. I am constantly amazed by the intricate genetic codes that determine the characteristics of each individual organism.

4. How do you think studying biology can benefit society?

Biology has numerous applications in many areas, such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental conservation. By understanding the workings of living organisms, we can develop solutions to improve human health, increase food production, and protect our planet's biodiversity.

5. What do you hope to achieve through your research in biology?

Through my research, I hope to contribute to our understanding of the natural world and make meaningful discoveries that can ultimately benefit society. I am also passionate about promoting scientific literacy and inspiring others to appreciate the wonders of biology.