Understanding the Purpose of a Fourier Transform for Acceleration Signals

In summary, the Fourier Transform takes a time-domain signal and transforms it into a frequency domain signal. This can be used to find out information about the signal, like what frequencies are dominant.
trn09
I have an acceleration signal from a wii remote and I am supposed to do an FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) on it, but I don't really understand what it means I get that. I know that a Fourier Transform takes time domain data and Transforms it to Frequency domain but I don't understand what is being done to the signal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your title says, 'why'; but it sounds more like you're asking 'how' is an FFT done... can you elaborate on what you don't understand please?

The 'why' is to find out frequency information about the signal (e.g. is it periodic? if so, what frequencies are dominant? etc). Frequency information, in general, is a powerful way of characterizing a signal.

I guess I don't really understand how to interrupt the results of the Fourier Transform.

I know that with the acceleration signal after taking the Fourier Transform I would get a graph of acceleration vs frequency but what does that mean?

For example if you had a signal from an accelerometer that took data on the acceleration of a car over a time interval and you took the Fourier Transform of the signal and there was a peak in the graph at 600 Hz and 50 m/s^2. How does that relate back to the acceleration that the car experienced?

trn09 said:
a signal from an accelerometer that took data on the acceleration of a car over a time interval and you took the Fourier Transform of the signal and there was a peak in the graph at 600 Hz and 50 m/s^2. How does that relate back to the acceleration that the car experienced?
That would tell you that the car experienced a periodic acceleration at a frequency of 600 Hz, with a magnitude of 50 m/s^2.

Lets think of something more realistic (that kind of signal would destroy the car ;).

If you saw a Fourier transform that had peaks at:
A) 120 Hz of 0.1 m/s^2
B) 0.01 Hz of 4 m/s^2
and
C) 1 Hz of 0.5 m/s^2

Then I'd suggest perhaps:
A) is due to a feature of the accelerometer, sampling 120 times per second, inducing an artificial signature.
B) might be something real, like stopping and going at stoplights, roughly every 1/100 seconds, with an average acceleration around 4 m/s^2
C) Might be something else real, like some feature of the car causing a periodic acceleration... maybe a cylinder misfiring every once in a while, or something like that.

Does that help at all?

Thank you that did help a lot actually.

What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that breaks down a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to better understand and analyze complex signals.

Why do we need to use a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform allows us to see the different frequencies that make up a complex signal. This is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and data science, as it helps us understand and manipulate data in the frequency domain.

What are some applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications, including audio and image processing, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, geology, and finance to analyze data and extract important information.

How is a Fourier Transform different from a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Transform is used for continuous signals, while a Fourier Series is used for periodic signals. Additionally, a Fourier Transform gives us information about all the frequencies present in a signal, while a Fourier Series only gives us information about the fundamental frequency and its harmonics.

What is the relationship between the time domain and the frequency domain in a Fourier Transform?

In a Fourier Transform, the time domain and the frequency domain are two ways of representing the same signal. The time domain shows us how the signal changes over time, while the frequency domain shows us the individual frequency components that make up the signal. These two domains are related through the Fourier Transform equation.