Understanding the Use of Magnetic Attraction in EMS Maglev Trains

• Thread starter Paul Aitken
  • Start date
In summary, EMS Maglev trains use magnetic attraction to levitate and propel the train without the need for physical contact with the track. This technology relies on powerful magnets and superconductors to create a magnetic field that repels and attracts the train, allowing it to glide along the track at high speeds with minimal friction. This makes Maglev trains a promising alternative to traditional trains, offering a smoother and more energy-efficient mode of transportation.
Paul Aitken
I'm trying to find out why EMS maglev trains use magnetic attraction instead of repulsion. Given that the attractive force diminishes to the square with distance, the countervailing forces would have to match exactly would they not? It seems to me that with like polarity between the track and train any deviation in the distance between the two would be self-correcting. As the train got closer to the track, magnetic repulsion would increase.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paul Aitken said:
I'm trying to find out why EMS maglev trains use magnetic attraction instead of repulsion. Given that the attractive force diminishes to the square with distance, the countervailing forces would have to match exactly would they not? It seems to me that with like polarity between the track and train any deviation in the distance between the two would be self-correcting. As the train got closer to the track, magnetic repulsion would increase.
Please be sure to post that in the proper forum, this is member introductions only. :smile: