Why do forums ban people?

  • Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
  • #26
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Math Is Hard said:
Hey, he might have meant ME! :rofl:

And, ok, let me say just one thing here..
Forums don't ban people. People ban people. :approve:
LOL! It made me think of "He Who Should Not be Named" from the Harry Potter books (since I just read the first two last week). Actually, we all know who he's talking about, but since he's completely disappeared, He Who Should Not be Named seems a good term. :biggrin:
 
  • #27
695
6
What did you think of the books?
 
  • #28
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
tribdog said:
What did you think of the books?
They were just like the movies. I enjoyed them, but other than the first chapter of the first book, I haven't seen any major departure from what was in the movies. I keep getting told the books are much better and have more detail than the movies, but I'm wondering if the people telling me that actually paid attention to the movies now. But, since I've only seen the first two movies, the rest of the books are bound to contain some surprises. :wink:
 
  • #29
695
6
When I saw the movies I had already read the books and I remember thinking that I'd never seen a movie so faithful to the book.
 
  • #30
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,051
17
Has "you know who" been banned ??!! :surprised
 
Last edited:
  • #31
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,367
1
:confused: Who? :confused:
 
  • #32
klusener said:
it is no use, i mean they can keep coming back right?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
my unofficial sig:
When the Europeans came, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said that this is the book of God and asked us to meditate. When we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the Bible.

- Jomo Kenyatta
History is littered with Exile's.

Freedom and free thinking used to be valued highly when the internet first appeared, like a new born nation, the web has now a vast number of free-thinkers, they are called Mentors or Minus-ors.

These will allow only a 'toe-the-line' or else 'B****D'!

They dictate, they think and they respond accordingly, until you bow and heel to their every whim, evident by the amount of awards and 'back-me-up' literation that goes on in most forums. This forum is no exeption, with maybe less than norm freedom available, unless you actually pay?..then dividends are returned, favour for favour?
 
  • #33
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,367
1
Have you set up a website for free thinkers Wave's_Hand_Particle?

I'm sure you realise that it's very easy to do, and also costs very little (unless you wish to offer something with a professional look and feel ... but free thinkers are not concerned with such distractions, are they?).
 
  • #34
Nereid said:
Have you set up a website for free thinkers Wave's_Hand_Particle?

I'm sure you realise that it's very easy to do, and also costs very little (unless you wish to offer something with a professional look and feel ... but free thinkers are not concerned with such distractions, are they?).
I detect a free thinking reply!..tinged with an air of bitterness?..surely you have not taken offence to my 'honest' post?

Shame on you if this is so :confused: the original poster asks why people get banned, I assume he/she was a newbie..and thus the reply I gave was near to actual PF and Web events, if you think this is not so, then we are on different wavelengths!
 
  • #35
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,367
1
Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
I detect a free thinking reply!..tinged with an air of bitterness?..surely you have not taken offence to my 'honest' post?
Not at all! I'm merely interested in seeing the extent to which 'your money is where your mouth is'!
Shame on you if this is so :confused: the original poster asks why people get banned, I assume he/she was a newbie..and thus the reply I gave was near to actual PF and Web events, if you think this is not so, then we are on different wavelengths!
Probably not (much). People get banned from PF because they persistently break the rules that they signed up for when they agreed to join.

It doesn't get much simpler than that; references to 'free thinking' etc are irrelevant ... since PF doesn't claim to be a 'free thinking' (your terms) site, it's at least disingenuous to claim this site is not 'free thinking' (or doesn't support 'free thinking').

Dear reader, if you haven't had a chance yet, I recommend a read of the thread in feedback, on the new 'ban Theory Development' discussion. :smile:
 
  • #36
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
3,367
1
Oh, and a comment on 'free thinking on the internet', in general: I'd be interested to know if there are any sites (with some history) that have never banned a contributor - does anyone know of any?

To be a good test, the sites should have a completely open policy - anyone can become a contributor, for free.
 
  • #37
Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
History is littered with Exile's.

Freedom and free thinking used to be valued highly when the internet first appeared, like a new born nation, the web has now a vast number of free-thinkers, they are called Mentors or Minus-ors.
The Internet is a pretty democratic society. No one owns it, however each server is governed by the laws, principles, time zones and regulations under the country for which it is physically located.

Wave's_Hand_Particle said:
They dictate, they think and they respond accordingly, until you bow and heel to their every whim, evident by the amount of awards and 'back-me-up' literation that goes on in most forums. This forum is no exeption, with maybe less than norm freedom available, unless you actually pay?..then dividends are returned, favour for favour?
You are free to think on this forum. Just like you are free to think anywhere else, however this is a privately owned forum, and the site admins and owners are free to regulate it anyway they could. That means if they don't like the punctuation marks on this paragraph and decide to ban me tomorrow then there is nothing I could do.

Now, that example is really stretching it but you get the idea.

Additionally, If they ban me, they don't restrict me from using the keyboard and going on other sites, I can still do that; therefore I am still free to roam around anywhere just not on this site. In essence I am still free.
 
  • #38
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
The_Professional said:
Additionally, If they ban me, they don't restrict me from using the keyboard and going on other sites, I can still do that; therefore I am still free to roam around anywhere just not on this site. In essence I am still free.
I think it's helpful to think of sites on the internet as similar to good old-fashioned brick and mortar businesses/clubs/gathering places, but without the brick and mortar. The owner still can decide what goes on at their location. If you head into a place hosting a book club and get kicked out for being boisterous and obnoxious, it doesn't prevent you from heading to the bar down the street where being loud is more acceptable, or from starting your own book club in your basement, where you permit rowdier behavior.
 

Related Threads on Why do forums ban people?

  • Last Post
2
Replies
35
Views
6K
  • Last Post
3
Replies
54
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
4K
Replies
21
Views
871
Replies
14
Views
6K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
37
Views
17K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
26K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
4K
Top