Why do guys get tired after sex?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that there are a few reasons why people get tired after sex. One is that it can be a case of temporary exhaustion caused by the rush of emotion from the orgasm. Another reason is that it is an active activity, and there will be some physical drainage but most of it is from the emotional aspect.
aychamo
Hey guys;

I'm wondering why we get tired after sex. I remember reading something in a physiology book about how when you are trying to reach orgasm (i.e., sex) either parasympathetic or sympathetic takes over, but when you have the orgasm the other one takes over.

Is the taking over of one of those why we get tired?

Is there any evolutionary reasons for this? Perhaps the sleeping allows you to devote energy into rebuilding your sperm collection, which ensures you of being ready to get more copies of your genes into the next generation. I know you would make the sperm regardless, but perhaps this helps?

I guess I want to ask this too. How comes sometimes not having sex can keep you awake?

Biology news on Phys.org
People get tired after sex? sounds very foreign to me :approve: :biggrin:

Sometimes it could be stress from work, life or family.

Last edited:
Perhaps they are out of shape, or maybe they have been "out of commission" for a while. :wink:
I guess it would probably be a case of temporary exhaustion caused by the rush of emotion from the orgasm. Intercourse is a pretty active activity so there will be some physical drainage but I think most of it would be from the emotional aspect. You put everything into achieving the final means and then it all rushes out in a relatively quick period.

-- sorry for this post, i was a little inebriated bc i was waiting for my MCAT score lastnight

Last edited:
Maybe it's psychological. Omni animale post coitum triste, said some Roman.

aychamo said:
-- sorry for this post, i was a little inebriated bc i was waiting for my MCAT score lastnight

So, how did you do? Where are you applying to med school?

Tired, or just very relaxed? Orgasm releases endogenous opioids, so to put it simply, you have a bit of a buzz going and are very relaxed, which is conducive to napping.

I don't think that just applies to men :tongue2:

Kerrie said:
I don't think that just applies to men :tongue2:

No, it doesn't. They just get a bad reputation for it. :biggrin:

1. Why do guys get tired after sex?

There are a few reasons why men may feel tired after sex. One reason is that during sexual arousal and orgasm, the body releases hormones such as oxytocin and prolactin, which can induce a feeling of relaxation and sleepiness. Additionally, the physical exertion and elevated heart rate during sex can also contribute to feelings of fatigue.

2. Is it normal for guys to fall asleep after sex?

Yes, it is completely normal for men to feel sleepy or even fall asleep after sex. As mentioned before, the release of hormones and physical exertion can contribute to this feeling. However, if it becomes a frequent occurrence and interferes with daily activities, it may be worth discussing with a doctor.

3. Does the duration of sex affect how tired a guy feels?

Yes, the duration of sex can play a role in how tired a guy feels afterwards. Longer and more vigorous sexual activity can result in a higher release of hormones and greater physical exertion, leading to increased fatigue.

4. Why do some guys not get tired after sex?

Every person's body and response to sexual activity is different. Some men may not experience a significant change in energy levels after sex, while others may feel more tired. Age, physical fitness, and overall health can also play a role in how tired a person feels after sex.

5. Can tiredness after sex be a sign of a health issue?

In most cases, feeling tired after sex is completely normal and not a cause for concern. However, if it becomes a chronic issue or is accompanied by other symptoms such as difficulty getting or maintaining an erection, it may be a sign of an underlying health issue and should be discussed with a doctor.