Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Why do humans tend to developed theire interests earluy on in life rather than later?

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    Is it just because the brain is more spongy at an early age than in our later years? I am aware that we gain new interests and knowledge as adults , but those interests are usually tied to the interests and we had as children or in our tenns / early adulthood, and therefore just continued to accumulate information on the interests we had when we were younger. You think by the time we reached a certain age, older adults are just set in there ways and refused to pursue other interests/hobbies to master? Or do you think the reason why older adults don't pursue or not likely to pursue new interests/ hobbies to mastered is because older adults specifically don't have the time like children to pursue and master new hobbies because they are to business maintaining a standard of living , and/or raising children , whereas kids has plenty of time to mastered and pursue theire interests . Kids aren't bound by any constraints since they rely (kids in the west anyway) for another adult to take care of them, and therefore don't have to worry about building their income , therefore have more time to developed hobbies.

Could that be the reason why you tend to see more child prodigies than late-bloomers?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2
    Re: why do humans tend to developed theire interests earluy on in life rather than la

Yes I agree; as you said children have less responsibilities and social imperatives to conform to so one can utilize their 'free time' to pursue hobbies + a lot of children (Such as myself) get bored performing repeated tasks such as 'School-work', obviously children have an immature attitude so they feel the need to excel in different subjects; rebel esque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook