Why do I get the right answer?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a sequence and finding an interval that contains all but the first 20 terms. The solution is to find an epsilon value and create an interval based on that. However, there is some confusion about how this solution relates to the original problem of finding an interval, as there may be multiple possible intervals. It is noted that this method may not work for all sequences and there is no general method that works for all cases.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have this problem that I could not solve, so I looked up the answer. It more of less said how we had to start to get to the answer. So I try that and get the right answer, but I still don't understand what this first step MEANS.

The question is about sequences and it says: Find an interval which contains all terms but the first 20 of the sequence defined by

[tex]x_n =4+\frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex]

If we start by saying "we are looking for an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that [itex]\forall n>20[/itex], [itex]|x_n - 4|<\epsilon[/itex]", everything follows very smoothly and we find that this epsilon is 1/20 and that the interval is (3+19/20 , 4+1/20).

But this "we are looking for an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that..." beginning is not the real begining, because what we are looking for really is an INTERVAL. An interval [itex]I[/itex] such that [itex]\forall n>20[/itex], [itex]x_n \in I[/itex]. So how do the "we are looking for an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that..." follows from the real question that is asked?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your confusion. You already have the answer. What's the problem?

Define y(n) = x(n) - 4 and find the smallest interval that contains all y(n>20).
Also see that y(n+1) = -(n/n+1)*y(n) => |y(n+1)| < |y(n)|

Ok so the line of reasoning I was looking for is: Since 4 is a constant term in every term of the sequence, finding the interval [itex]I[/itex] that contains all but the 20 first terms is the same as finding an interval [itex](-\epsilon, \epsilon)[/itex] that contains all but the first 20 [itex]y_n[/itex] (as defined by Gokul) because our interval [itex]I[/itex] will then be simply [itex](4-\epsilon, 4+\epsilon)[/itex].

There is still something that is unclear in my head about this method, though. Supposing this is the general method of solving all problems of the "find an interval that contains all but the first /whatever terms" kind, I am bothered by this special case: Suppose the sequence converges towards 0 and looks like this:

[tex]\{-100, 100, -50, 97, -23, 92, -11, 84, -2 ...\}[/tex]

i.e. the negative terms converge much faster than the positive ones. Now if we try to find the interval [itex](-\epsilon, \epsilon)[/itex] that contain all but the first 5 terms, we cannot set [itex]\epsilon=23[/itex] because this does not include the sixth term. And we cannot set [itex]\epsilon=93[/itex] because it would include the third and the fifth terms. So there is no such [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

There is always the posibility that there exists no [itex]x_n[/itex] that generates a sequence that behaves in such a way. That would be nice. :smile:

quasar987 said:
There is still something that is unclear in my head about this method, though. Supposing this is the general method of solving all problems of the "find an interval that contains all but the first /whatever terms" kind, I am bothered by this special case...

You needn't be bothered as problems of this type are going to be impossible for some sequences, hence there is no general method that works on all sequences.

Your original sequence is nice in the following way, the sequence [tex]|y_n|[/tex] is a strictly decreasing sequence. That is [tex]|y_1|>|y_2|>|y_3|>\ldots[/tex]. In a case like this you can always find an interval that excludes the first N terms, for any value of N. (note [tex]y_n=x_n-\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_n[/tex])

The confusion seems to be because there isn't a unique answer to the problem. It seems that any interval contained in (3+18/19,4+1/20) and containing [3+20/21,4+1/22] would do the trick. The answer given is the largest interval which is symmetric about 4.

xn satisfying [itex]|x_n - 4|<\epsilon[/itex]
IS an interval:
This is the same as
[tex]-\epsilon< x_n- 4<\epsilon[/tex]
or
[tex]4-\epsilon< x_n< 4+\epsilon[/tex]

I realized that. It's why I was able to solve the problem. But why 4±epsilon and not something else is what I was wondering. I know now.

1. Why is it important to get the right answer in scientific research?

Getting the right answer in scientific research is crucial because it ensures the validity and reliability of the results. This means that the conclusions drawn from the research are accurate and can be used to make informed decisions and advancements in the field.

2. How do scientists ensure that they are getting the right answer?

Scientists follow a rigorous and systematic approach to their research, including designing experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and peer reviewing their findings. This helps to eliminate bias and errors and increases the chances of getting the right answer.

3. Can a scientist be wrong even if they have followed the scientific method?

Yes, a scientist can still be wrong even if they have followed the scientific method. Science is an ongoing process of discovery and is constantly evolving. The results of one study may be disproven or modified by future research, and it is important for scientists to remain open to new evidence and adjust their conclusions accordingly.

4. What happens if a scientist gets the wrong answer?

If a scientist gets the wrong answer, it can lead to a better understanding of the topic or phenomenon being studied. The incorrect result can also serve as a starting point for further research and investigation. It is important for scientists to report their findings, regardless of whether they are right or wrong, as it contributes to the overall body of scientific knowledge.

5. Are there any consequences for scientists who consistently get the wrong answer?

There may be consequences for scientists who consistently get the wrong answer, such as damage to their credibility and reputation in the scientific community. However, it is important to remember that science is a collaborative effort and that even the most renowned scientists have made mistakes in their research. What matters is that scientists are open and transparent about their methods and results, and are willing to learn from their mistakes.