Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do I hate Microsoft?

1. May 24, 2006 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I installed XP on one of my home systems today. I spend 3hrs looking on the MS web page for SP1a so it would recognize a 300GB HD, then started all over again on SP2. The stinking MS site has links for both all over the place, they all seemed to be circular and none of them had the actual D/L link. I would follow a link which said get the sp here it would take me to another page with a link back to the starting place. Frustration!

I did finally get it done. GRRRR!! :grumpy:

Then I came to work, where I have been developing an Excel VBA program to aid us in some some long tests we need to run. I have a working copy but am still making some changes and adding features, so I made a copy of my working version to modify for my next rev. I spend several hours last night coding without being able to trouble shoot. (The working version was running a test on the tool). When I finally got to test my new code, the program would not execute code that was unchanged from the first version. I never was able to understand why it would not work but have finally, after ~6hrs of frustration trying to understand what was wrong, imported the identical code that works in my operating code. I think I am back on track now.

OK I feel better now :smile:

I HATE MICROSOFT! :mad:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The important thing is that Bill Gates is happy.

4. May 24, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I've never had a problem with microsoft really.

but my opinion is worthless

5. May 24, 2006 #4

Mk

You've obviously never used Apple Integral? I highly recommend, especially for those who don't like computer trouble.
    http://apple.com/getamac

6. May 24, 2006 #5

J77

Apple's not for scientists, it's for web designers or my mum :tongue:

Linux is the way forward, and has been for the past 7 years :smile:

7. May 24, 2006 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Do a web search on "slipstream XP SP2", to find out how to create a bootable cd-rom with XP / SP2 on it. Microsoft includes some of this info in their knowledge base, so it's an Microsoft approved method. The updating of install files in a directory is accomplished via a built-in command line option, so Microsoft intended for IT groups and smart end-users to do this.

If you do try this out, note that the Roxio versions 7 and later no longer support creating mulitple sector boot cd-roms (Roxio is mentioned on some web sites that explain slipstreaming). You'll need to use Nero Burning Rom or the bundled version of Nero to do this.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  8. May 24, 2006 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great Idea! Just give a call to Mike Hurd, the CEO of HP, and tell him we should abandon windows and move to apple. :rolleyes:

Then I can drop my 4 home built systems in garbage can and sent $4k to Steve Jobs to replace them.... I don't think so.

When I can buy a disk with the Apple OS and install it on my home brews then I will consider Apple, until then I am stuck with Winblows.

Unix would be fun, but then what would I do with my computs? Make them all routers?

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  9. May 24, 2006 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bill F'n Gates can eat my....

Oh yeah this is a family board.

I am so frustrated with VBA for Excel right now I could cuss some more! :mad:

( I have sp1a and sp2 all taken care of that was just a minor few hours of frustration warming me up for a whole night of doing battle with VBA!) ARGGGGH!

Ya' know when it all finally gets worked out (and it will) I tend to forget the pain... must be the same with childbirth.

10. May 24, 2006 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Don't think his wife is, though. There's a reason he named his company "Microsoft". :rofl:

Right, Integral, family board, gotcha! :biggrin:

11. May 24, 2006 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Question: How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: Zero - Bill Gates declares darkness to be the standard.

Regards,
    George

12. May 24, 2006 #11

turbo

Gold Member

We can all crab and moan about MS (and I do, myself), but we should keep in mind one important reason that MS's OSs have traditionally been large and complex - backward compatibility. Even when running Windows several versions removed from DOS, I often ran my old DOS versions of Wordstar and Ashton-Tate dBase, old DOS games, etc. You couldn't do that with a Mac. I remember when a previous employer upgraded Mac operating systems, and had to buy all new application software. That got pretty expensive.

13. May 24, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I hope you didn't upgrade from XP SP1 to SP2. I unfortunately did and then discovered that everyone who did has problems. Best to do fresh install of XP SP2.

Also, a good site is www.winguides.com and their forums http://www.winguides.com/forums/.

Good place to share the frustration and misery. :biggrin: :grumpy:

14. May 24, 2006 #13

J77

Yeah - I like to moan about them but lately I've been using my windows partition all the time to browse the web and listen to the radio - stuff just works so much better under woindows for these things :smile:

Of course, I do all my proper work under linux o:)

15. May 24, 2006 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one of the things I was trying to find on the mircosoft (Some how Macrohard just doesn't sound the same!) web site. Is Sp1 included is Sp2? I needed the large HD support that came in SP1, Good companies include all of the previous upgrades in the lastest and greatest.

Time, to go home! later.

16. May 24, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You'd think so. Any good company with integrity would do that. AFAKIK, Win XP SP2 supports large HD's.

On the other hand, I set my large HD with my office PC, which use Win2K. :biggrin: We don't trust XP. :rolleyes:

I have been using Winchester HD's and I use their software to format the drive, and then install with Windows Plug n Play. We also use Power Quest's Partition Magic and DriveImage. Unfortunately Symantec bought them. :frown: :grumpy:

17. May 24, 2006 #16
    I have XP on 2 machines, never had a problem with it. :confused:

18. May 24, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still have compatibility issues with SP2 and industrial proprietary software. As a result, I ended up having to dedicate a computer to SP1, and buy a new one for SP2. :grumpy:

19. May 24, 2006 #18
    I know how you feel :frown:

20. May 25, 2006 #19

Mk

PF isn't a family activity for me :confused: Do families surf PF?

21. May 25, 2006 #20
    Forgetfulness is an oversimplification. That kind of feeling is very common for me and my friends when we have to hastle with computers. Frustrated at first, but in the end, unless you're a lazy whimp like my roommate, you get a feeling of accomplishment. I'm sure there's some existential philosophy explaining that, but I can't remember it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?