Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do I need to use an integrating factor before I translate to polar coordinates?

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    I'm solving the following equation in the unit square using finite differences:
    epsilon(u_xx+u_yy)+u_x+u_y=0, where epsilon is a singular perturbation parameter.

I need to use domain decomposition to isolate the corner singularity in the outflow corner. My subdomain in this corner is a quarter disk so I translate the d.e. to polar coordinates. If I don't use the translation:
    v=exp(M(x+y))u, M=1/2epsilon, before translating to polar coordinates, then my solution has a concave shape, but it should be convex.

I find that even when epsilon=1 I need to use this integrating factor. Does anyone know why this is? Have searched high and low with no success.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted