Seeing UV & IF Light: Exploring My Perception

In summary, the speaker describes their ability to observe UV and IF light sources and transmitters, as well as a layer of visual noise in their normal waking life. They also mention being able to hear colors and are seeking guidance from those with knowledge in physics, neurology, and spectroscopy to better understand their experiences. However, due to forum rules, they are advised to consult with a physician about their symptoms.
Jordaniel
When I observe the UV light emitted, I can literally see the millions of photons appear and die within milliseconds, but nobody else around me can. When I observe IF light sources and transmitters in low light, it is the same characteristic, except there only appears to be to photon sources, and one is slightly more apparent than the other, moving in opposite directions. In my normal waking life, I have a layer of visual noise in my vision that is millions of different colours, and can notice interference in the field when a new sound is present or introduced. I can hear colours sometimes too, more effectively when a television is on mute, the loudest being white, and the second loudest being about 477nm, or #00c8ff in hexadecimal value.
I'm trying to comprehend this experience, and figure out for myself why my brain interprets information this way, but some guidance from anyone with an interest in physic, neurology and spectroscopy would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jordaniel,

Welcome to PF. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a medical condition and per the forum rules (for very good reasons) we are not allowed to practice medicine or offer medical advice on the forums. You should consult with a physician about these symptoms and determine if it is something serious or not.

1. What is UV and IR light and how is it different from visible light?

UV (ultraviolet) light and IR (infrared) light are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, just like visible light. The main difference is their wavelength, with UV light having a shorter wavelength and IR light having a longer wavelength than visible light. UV light is often associated with sunburn and tanning, while IR light is commonly experienced as heat.

2. Can humans see UV and IR light?

No, humans cannot see UV or IR light with the naked eye. Our eyes are only sensitive to a specific range of wavelengths, known as the visible spectrum. However, some animals, such as certain birds and insects, can see UV light, and some snakes can see IR light.

3. How can we perceive UV and IR light if we can't see it?

While our eyes cannot see UV and IR light, we can use technology to detect and visualize these wavelengths. For example, special cameras and filters can capture and display UV and IR light. Additionally, some individuals may have a rare genetic mutation that allows them to see UV light, but this is very uncommon.

4. Why is it important to explore our perception of UV and IR light?

Studying our perception of UV and IR light can help us better understand the full range of electromagnetic radiation and how it affects our world. It also allows us to develop new technologies and applications, such as UV photography and thermal imaging, which can have various practical uses in fields like medicine and security.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with UV and IR light exposure?

Yes, both UV and IR light can have harmful effects on our bodies if we are exposed to them for extended periods. UV light can damage our skin and eyes, leading to sunburn, skin cancer, and vision problems. IR light can also cause burns and other thermal injuries. It is important to protect ourselves from excessive exposure to both UV and IR light.