Why do I shiver when I have a high temperature, not when I have a low one?

In summary, Paz thinks that shivering is a mechanism designed to raise your body heat, but when you're running a fever, you perceive room temperature to be too cold, and the medicine works on the fever-inducing mechanism in the brain to lower that setpoint and help get your temperature down. She also thinks that teenagers and adults are in the same category when it comes to when it's time to see a doctor.
wasteofo2
I'm sick and running a fever. If I take an Advil and my fever goes down, I stop shivering, but as the medicine starts wearing off, I begin to shiver more. I thoguht shivering was a mechanism designed to raise you're body heat, so it doesn't make sense that when I'm running a 103.8 temperature I'd need to generate any more heat to kill whatever pathogen's inside of me.

Paz,
Jacob

Biology news on Phys.org
Fever is a different mechanism than simply being overheated. Your "setpoint" changes (like raising the temperature on a thermostat as opposed to turning on a separate heater in a room containing the thermostat). When you're running a fever, you perceive room temperature to be too cold, so start shivering. The medicine works on the fever-inducing mechanism in the brain to lower that set-point and help get your temperature down.

Since you're running close to 104 F, if you haven't already seen a doctor, you should do so soon! While 104 isn't unusual for a kid, for an adult, it gets dangerous. Have someone drive you to a doctor (you shouldn't be driving yourself if you are that sick).

Feel better soon!

I'm a teenager, and I meant 102.8

Thanks for the info hombre,
Jacob

wasteofo2 said:
I'm a teenager, and I meant 102.8

Thanks for the info hombre,
Jacob

When I was saying "kid" I was thinking little kid, like under 12. In terms of high fevers, I'd lump teenagers in with adults in terms of when it's time to see a doctor.

Are you feeling any better today? If the fever doesn't start to go down today, go see a doctor anyway (if it gets worse, call a doctor immediately...I know Sundays aren't the best days to get ahold of a doctor otherwise).

Moonbear said:
When I was saying "kid" I was thinking little kid, like under 12. In terms of high fevers, I'd lump teenagers in with adults in terms of when it's time to see a doctor.

Are you feeling any better today? If the fever doesn't start to go down today, go see a doctor anyway (if it gets worse, call a doctor immediately...I know Sundays aren't the best days to get ahold of a doctor otherwise).
I actually am doing better, thanks for caring. It's amazing what some advil, chicken soup, juice and a few days rest will do for a viral infection. It's also amazing what a doctor can do (say: "Yep, it's a virus, nothing I can do for you, that'll be $75).

It's amazing the feeling of sympathy that a series of 1's and 0's tranfered over phone wires into a series of red, green and blue pixels can confer.

wasteofo2 said:
It's amazing the feeling of sympathy that a series of 1's and 0's tranfered over phone wires into a series of red, green and blue pixels can confer.

Behold the power of cheese..I mean, err the Internet

1. Why do I shiver when I have a high temperature?

Shivering is a natural response of the body when it is trying to increase its temperature to fight off an infection or illness. When you have a high temperature, your body is trying to raise its core temperature to create an unfavorable environment for the virus or bacteria causing the illness. Shivering helps generate heat and raise your body temperature.

2. Why don't I shiver when I have a low temperature?

When you have a low temperature, it means that your body's core temperature is below its normal range. In this case, your body is not trying to raise its temperature, so there is no need for shivering. Instead, you may experience chills, which is your body's way of trying to warm up by constricting blood vessels and increasing muscle activity.

3. Is shivering a sign of a serious illness?

Shivering itself is not a sign of a serious illness. It is a natural response of the body to increase its temperature to fight off an infection. However, if your shivering is accompanied by other symptoms such as a high fever, weakness, or difficulty breathing, it could be a sign of a more serious underlying condition and you should consult a doctor.

4. How can I stop myself from shivering when I have a high temperature?

Shivering is a natural and necessary response of the body to fight off an infection. However, if it becomes too uncomfortable, you can try to warm yourself up by wearing warm clothing, drinking hot tea or soup, or taking a warm bath. If your shivering is caused by a high fever, taking an over-the-counter fever reducer may also help.

5. Can shivering make my temperature higher?

Shivering itself does not raise your temperature. Shivering is a response to a high temperature, not the cause of it. However, if you shiver for a prolonged period, it may cause your body to use up more energy and produce more heat, which can lead to a further increase in your temperature. This is why it is important to try to warm yourself up and stop shivering when you have a high temperature.