Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do Karnaugh map work?

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    Why do Karnaugh map work? I don't understand how they work. If I follow the rules I get a minimized expression easily enough...it just seems like magic.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    Karnaugh Maps work because they utilize gray code to ensure that every two squares that share a side differ only by a negation on one term. This allows for the differing term to be neglected as it would create a sum of product for that looks similar to A'B'C'D+A'B'C'D', which can then be rewritten as A'B'C'(D+D'). You could probably deduce rather easily that the term in parentheses is equal to 1, since one of the two terms must always be true. since anything anded with 1 is simply itself, we can neglect writing the 1 and we are left with the term A'B'C'. This simplified form will represent a 1X2 box on a 4X4 Karnaugh map. Larger boxes can simply be viewed as further simplification of these intermediate terms.You may also want to take a look at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quine%E2%80%93McCluskey_algorithm" [Broken] for minimization; it is based around the same principles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 11, 2010 #3
    While filling out the map, do you realize why each box is marked 0/1 ? Or do you just follow the rule and use the magic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook