Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do people believe in religion?

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    I have not seen anything in any holly book including (Bible & Quran) that bears any evidence of a super being’s writing , secretes of the universe or even a plausible reason for creation, other then things like worship me for I am your lord (medieval kings like attitudes) … I am not saying that there is no creator or GOD of laws, but religion what’s up with religion/s? And why would GOD even create religions when he can just give us a self judging ever evolving brain?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2
    I've done a lot of thinking and speaking to other people asking them why they believe in their religion and really digging deep to see if I can find the root cause. I've come to the conclusion that most people who believe in some sort of God that they pray to, etc. think fundamentally different than I do. They have some extra feeling or some way of thinking that makes them believe which I don't possess. Whether they were born thinking this way or it was caused by their upbringing I've yet to determine.

4. Jan 23, 2005 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question often arising is whether the rationalization of belief & faith is overall the way to go, and if we choose to do so, do people (myself included) really act rationally by arriving at a negative result concerning the existence of some higher entity by using 'simple' logic. Good arguments do exist both ways but for the individual that is all there is (if we let some of the worst "fairytales" go at least).

5. Jan 23, 2005 #4
    Biologists say that our genes compels us to believe, in one for or another, of the supernatual (according to TIME). We are the only species that are aware of our inevitable death. To adapt, we've evolved to be spiritually inclined, i.e. believe in a God and afterlife. Makes sense to me.

6. Jan 23, 2005 #5
    A sense of meaning

In most cases, religion gives a human a sense of meaning. People who are very scientific by nature might believe we are just spontaneous cases of entropy doing what it does, and we have no soul or exterior meaning. People who choose to be religious, or just believe in some type of creator, are seeking meaning. they would not be able to accept being without purpose or importance.

7. Jan 23, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Oh, really?
    So I haven't got any genes, or what?
    Or possibly, I'm not human.

Or perhaps, religiously inclined individuals are so conceited that they can't bear the thought that the universe couldn't care less about their existence.

8. Jan 23, 2005 #7
    "Or perhaps, religiously inclined individuals are so conceited that they can't bear the thought that the universe couldn't care less about their existence."

These are the exact words that i was thinking, i just did not know how to say it.

i think some people just need religion to be able to carry on with their lives. if they had no strong belief, they would always be inquiring to the meaning of their existence, and would never get anything done. would you want a lawyer who is constantly wondering why they exist,and why their even defending you? In some ways religion just holds society together. the scientific community exists for this purpose. not everyone can be a scientist.

9. Jan 23, 2005 #8
    No, it's called supression and choice. Just like the fact that your genes compels you to have sex, whether you choose to, capable of, or not to.

10. Jan 23, 2005 #9
    This is a science forum, so let's go with the evolutionary response:

Some form of morality is necessary for any society to survive, prosper, and grow, but many societies fail to provide equitable morality for all of their citizens. This is a void that can lead to revolution and the violent overthrow of a government, or to the growth of religion, which is typically more peaceful. Religion is a different form of structure, a set of moral rules that tends to grow where individuals reject an unfair social system. It commonly tells individuals that justice will come in an afterlife, and tends to fill any void in a social structures' rules. It seeks to change an unfair system to a more equitable one, at least for the people it represents.
    In evolutionary terms, it appears to be a reaction to unacceptable social pressures.

Please note that I am not judging the ethics or morality of any particular society.

11. Jan 23, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

But religion, throughout history, is what usually caused the unfair social system, that caused wars, that caused oppression, that created hatred of anyone that didn't agree to "conform" to the religious beliefs and practices.

12. Jan 23, 2005 #11
    People with strong religion tend to band together and help each other. People without that religion can be elbowed out of the community. To avoid becoming a pariah, you had to adopt a mainstream religion. So people who were more amenable to adopting a religion tended to survive and produce more offspring. It's about social networking.

13. Jan 23, 2005 #12

Evo

and the fear of being killed off by the religious group if you don't conform.

14. Jan 23, 2005 #13
    We sense the energies of the Universe as we can, as we have evolved. Before there was Science, there was only us and the natural world. We, as a species were, and still are, incredibly inclined to project our needs, fears, desires, onto others. In the case of religion, we projected them onto the Universe at large. Clever and unscrupulous humans made whole societies out of these anthropomorphisms. I think the more we understand about how the Universe works, the closer we will be to a reasonable understanding of how we came to be, and how we will be. I think that until we learn to comfort and sustain each other, because it is how we choose to be; we will lean on these mythic identities to threaten and cajole us into proper actions, that are seemingly improper in many cases. There may come some comfort from what we learn about the Universe. Until we start being better conservators as a whole, we will only attract from the Universe, the worst of our own tendencies.

15. Jan 23, 2005 #14

Janitor

Science Advisor

I know a middle-aged professional man who suffered from chronic depression. He "tried God," and he claims the salvation experience lifted him out of depression. I think I still can see some signs when our paths happen to cross that he still has some depression, though I never bring the subject up with him.

16. Jan 23, 2005 #15

Evo

Dayle, you always have great posts.

17. Jan 23, 2005 #16

Hope is a powerful thing! ~The placebo effect~

EVO: A picture is worth thousand words :rofl:

One of the most potent tools of religions happens to be “ fear”, fear of unknown and infinite (whoever came up with this 1st was a genius) . It may be, that religions start out as social revolutions to escape the terrene and ignorance of the time but then itself mutates to same terrene and ignorance …. I have found a pattern in religion, it starts out with a powerful tone at 1st then it gives hope/justice/belonging (the hook) to people while injecting extreme fear (the detainment) at the same time,….. now try and think differently and you will always have that incertitude of hell bind. Notice how all the hapless & socio-economically challenged country have the most religious people.

Is religion the best ideology to overcome social , moral and spiritual demons?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  18. Jan 23, 2005 #17
    Interesting article references at the bottom ....

19. Jan 23, 2005 #18

Janitor

Science Advisor

I don't mean this to offend anyone, but there are some who think from reading of the vision of Saul/Paul on the road to Damascus that he in fact had T.L.E. That condition could also have been the unexplained "thorn in the flesh" that he complained about in writing.

20. Jan 24, 2005 #19
    In Islamic tradition prophet Mohammed’s witnesses have stated that every time prophet received a message from GOD, he went in a seizure like state.

21. Jan 24, 2005 #20

Janitor

Science Advisor

Yeah, but that still doesn't explain how his body flew off into the upper atmosphere. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?