Why do people call each other names?

  • #1
At another forum, I see people calling each other names and degrading each other because their opinion clashes with another's. But generally, why do you think some people call each other names and say bad stuff in general just because someone said something that clashes with their ideas. Why don't they accept it as only an opinion and leave it at that?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
356
3
They secretly want to have sex with eachother, and they use name calling to express their frustration that they havn't realised that yet and so havn't done anything about it.
 
  • #3
Smurf said:
They secretly want to have sex with eachother, and they use name calling to express their frustration that they havn't realised that yet and so havn't done anything about it.
Wow, that makes a lot of sense. I never thought about it in that way. So this means that people in PF don't want to secretly have sex with each other.
 
  • #4
356
3
laminatedevildoll said:
Wow, that makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, Freud was a genius wasn't he?
 
  • #5
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
One word: Immaturity.
 
  • #6
Moonbear said:
One word: Immaturity.
Yes, that's very true, but doesn't that sort of bother you because that one comment will always be at the back of your mind, no matter how much you try to block it out?
 
  • #7
453
0
Well, if we just called people by numbers, it would get ridiculous after the first 10 million or so.

"Well hey there 24 163 534" just takes to long to say, don't it?
 
  • #8
DeadWolfe said:
Well, if we just called people by numbers, it would get ridiculous after the first 10 million or so.

"Well hey there 24 163 534" just takes to long to say, don't it?
LOL. How about names such as *#$%! or even $**!?

Smurf said:
Yeah, Freud was a genius wasn't he?
Do you know which of his books explain this theory?
 
  • #9
253
1
Well to tell you the honest truth it's when that opinion is dangerous that people have to be put down...not in calling them names as such, but they do need to be told how stupid they are by pointing all the flaws in their opinions. Well I'm more referring to the black and white situations with actors and pop stars...trying to spread their wisdom of depriving their children of dairy and crap like that. But if it is purely a difference in opinion in something like politics or something like that, then name calling and anger is just the result of immaturity.
 
  • #10
big man said:
Well to tell you the honest truth it's when that opinion is dangerous that people have to be put down...not in calling them names as such, but they do need to be told how stupid they are by pointing all the flaws in their opinions. Well I'm more referring to the black and white situations with actors and pop stars...trying to spread their wisdom of depriving their children of dairy and crap like that. But if it is purely a difference in opinion in something like politics or something like that, then name calling and anger is just the result of immaturity.
Politics is such a sensitive matter. People get really offended if your statement clashes with theirs.
 
Last edited:
  • #11
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
1,749
5
Smurf said:
They secretly want to have sex with eachother, and they use name calling to express their frustration that they havn't realised that yet and so havn't done anything about it.
So that's why you call me an idiot. I should have known.
 
  • #12
356
3
loseyourname said:
So that's why you call me an idiot. I should have known.
Oh yeah baby...

tell me... do you like... younger boys?
 
  • #13
Smurf said:
Oh yeah baby...
tell me... do you like... younger boys?
Is this a trend nowadays? Being into 'younger boys?' :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
  • #14
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
15
laminatedevildoll said:
Is this a trend nowadays? Being into 'younger boys?' :rolleyes:
Its the 'in' thing now

I think smurf has finally figured out why i hate him so much
 
  • #15
Pengwuino said:
Its the 'in' thing now

I think smurf has finally figured out why i hate him so much
So how young is young?
 
  • #16
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
laminatedevildoll said:
So this means that people in PF don't want to secretly have sex with each other.
We make no effort to keep it a secret.:wink: :tongue2:
 
  • #17
Moonbear said:
One word: Immaturity.
Heh heh heh. You just called yourself immature.

I find there are a few reasons why people do this. Sometimes people get offended and angered by others, and it's just out of anger. I've been guilty of that all too often. Sometimes people call people of conflicting views names because it saves them having to consider that person's argument. It's a kind of rationalisation. Sometimes people do it in the absence of an argument because they don't know when to stop posting. Sometimes people do it because they feel inferior to other forum members. But more often than not on this particular forum, people do it simply because they like hurting other people's feelings. And so finally, some people do it to hurt the feelings of people who hurt other people's feelings (I'm guilty of that too).

Did I miss anything?
 
  • #18
El Hombre Invisible said:
Heh heh heh. You just called yourself immature.
I find there are a few reasons why people do this. Sometimes people get offended and angered by others, and it's just out of anger. I've been guilty of that all too often. Sometimes people call people of conflicting views names because it saves them having to consider that person's argument. It's a kind of rationalisation. Sometimes people do it in the absence of an argument because they don't know when to stop posting. Sometimes people do it because they feel inferior to other forum members. But more often than not on this particular forum, people do it simply because they like hurting other people's feelings. And so finally, some people do it to hurt the feelings of people who hurt other people's feelings (I'm guilty of that too).
Did I miss anything?
No, you covered it all.
 
  • #19
356
3
Pengwuino said:
I think smurf has finally figured out why i hate him so much
You're jealous of my godly powers?

I knew all along...
 
  • #20
Danger said:
We make no effort to keep it a secret.:wink: :tongue2:
So who do you like to 'argue' with?

Smurf said:
You're jealous of my godly powers?
I knew all along...
I guess all the sexual tension is centered around you.
 
Last edited:
  • #21
356
3
El Hombre Invisible said:
Did I miss anything?
I would have said a few things differently. And I think you grouped a few things un-necessarily. I also would've elaborated on yet a few more.

But you got the general drift - except the sex thing. Which is a perfectly acceptable (psychodynamic) reason.
 
  • #22
356
3
laminatedevildoll said:
I guess all the sexual tension is centered around you.
Well being the center of attention for all the world's major religions, and many minor ones, tends to create a certain "mystique" about ones self.

Also, it should be noted that power is sexy.
 
  • #23
Smurf said:
Well being the center of attention for all the world's major religions, and many minor ones, tends to create a certain "mystique" about ones self.
Also, it should be noted that power is sexy.
Are you implying that you are 'the' sex god? Do you give advice?
 
  • #24
356
3
laminatedevildoll said:
Are you implying that you are 'the' sex god?
One true god. That includes the domain of sex, so yes.
Do you give advice?
No. I give orders.
 
  • #25
Smurf said:
No. I give orders.
Orders for the betterment of people's lives, I suppose. But shouldn't people have the liberty of making their own decisions based on your advice? How do you give sex orders instead of advice?
 
Last edited:

Related Threads on Why do people call each other names?

Replies
79
Views
18K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
3K
Replies
21
Views
907
Replies
13
Views
3K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
280
Replies
47
Views
19K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
27
Views
6K
Replies
25
Views
3K
Replies
43
Views
2K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
81
Views
7K
Top