Why do people cry when they are sad

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Most animals don't have tear glands (do any?)Most animals don't have tear glands (do any?)In summary, most animals do not cry when they are sad, happy or from some other emotion. However, dogs, elephants, and crocodiles have the ability to cry.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why do people cry when they are sad, happy even when watching a film ?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:

Are you trying to segragate people that believe in "spiritual emotions" from those that believe in "biological" or "scientific emotions"?

DM said:
Are you trying to segragate people that believe in "spiritual emotions" from those that believe in "biological" or "scientific emotions"?

No it is just, that AFIK only humans cry, i know animals do not have emotions
but why do they not cry when hurt, i mean cry tears.

wolram said:
i know animals do not have emotions

Dogs have emotions. And they do cry when they are hurt, both physically and emotionally. If they had tear ducks (sp) then I am sure that you would see tears flowing from their eyes too.

Elephants will actually have a kind of ceremony and morn the death of another elephant. That is emotion and I am quite sure that they feel things rather deeply. In fact, you can tell when an animal is happy, sad, angry...those are all emotions.

Well, but very few animals bother to watch a film (just see how uninterested Benji is).
Thus, there's no wonder they don't cry then.

Thats true Townsend, i remember a film on elephants that showed one trying to
make a another sick one stand.

arildno said:
Well, but very few animals bother to watch a film (just see how uninterested Benji is).
Thus, there's no wonder they don't cry then.

Benji loves it when other dogs are on tv.

Most animals don't have tear glands (do any?)

Smurf said:

I think they all have tear glands so to speak. I mean, they need something to keep their eyes wet...I think what is lacking is the tear ducks.

I cannot say for sure...does anyone know for sure?

Crying and laughing are ways of releasing one:s emotion

wolram said:

because they are callled "people".

Townsend said:
I think they all have tear glands so to speak. I mean, they need something to keep their eyes wet...I think what is lacking is the tear ducks.

I cannot say for sure...does anyone know for sure?
Crocodiles shed tears:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/cbd-faq-q6.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Crocodiles shed tears:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/cbd-faq-q6.htm

Interesting...

http://www.wisegeek.com/do-animals-cry.htm

So it seems that most animals do in fact have the equipment to shed tears...

wolram said:
I'm going to presume that your question is more about the physiological mechanism of crying and its benefits.

Chemicals produced under emotional stress end of in our lympth system and in our tears. The act of crying helps flush these chemicals from the body.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm going to presume that your question is more about the physiological mechanism of crying and its benefits.

Chemicals produced under emotional stress end of in our lympth system and in our tears. The act of crying helps flush these chemicals from the body.

Seriously? So there is some actual benefit to crying? Awesome...

Smurf said:
My little dog (aka fruit bat) cries when the cats won't let him drill holes into the sides of their heads. It's really sad, he gets these real wet patches under his eyes.

My dog fake-cries when he doesn't get his way. Most of the time, he doesn't produce tears, but that little face (and he now it) gets him exactly what he wants :grumpy:

I was just thinking about why do people cry when they are sad, happy or from some other emotion when I discovered this forum. I was thinking, there has to be a reason people are able to express their emotions though involuntary reactions such as crying. I would think that your brain would release some type of horomone or chemical in response to your emotions. I will do lots of research on this because it is a very good question. I know of people that use drugs, such as ecstacy, to release a 'happiness' chemical in their brain. If their is such a chemical, there must be an opposing one, right? I don't know anything about this. It is just a thought.

yomamma said:
My dog fake-cries when he doesn't get his way. Most of the time, he doesn't produce tears, but that little face (and he now it) gets him exactly what he wants :grumpy:

If benji wants any thing he will park him self in front of you and stare, if you ignore him he will put his front paws on your lap and lick you until you give in.

sarahbm90 said:
I was just thinking about why do people cry when they are sad, happy or from some other emotion when I discovered this forum. I was thinking, there has to be a reason people are able to express their emotions though involuntary reactions such as crying. I would think that your brain would release some type of horomone or chemical in response to your emotions. I will do lots of research on this because it is a very good question. I know of people that use drugs, such as ecstacy, to release a 'happiness' chemical in their brain. If their is such a chemical, there must be an opposing one, right? I don't know anything about this. It is just a thought.

Good luck with your research :smile:

wolram said:
Good luck with your research :smile:

Thank you :D

This site was able to explain to me exactly why I am always feeling the way I do. It seems that I was likely one of the people to inherit the 'low stress tolerance' gene. That is not a good thing, but learning about it makes me feel better. Knowing what is wrong with you is the first step to fixing it.

www.teachhealth.com/chemmess.html

Another site answered the original question "why do we cry?" I suppose I was wrong about the brain actually releasing a chemical forcing tears.

"When emotions overtake us, the brain stimulates the tear glands and triggers crying."

"Scientists have discovered that emotional tears contain higher levels of manganese and the hormone prolactin, which are directly related to feelings of depression. Many believe that the body in times of emotional stress, depends on the tears produced by the lacrimal gland to carry away excess chemicals and hormones that contribute to anxiety and depression."

1. Why do people cry when they are sad?

There are a few different reasons why people cry when they are sad. One explanation is that crying is a natural release of emotion and can help us process and cope with difficult emotions. Additionally, crying can also be a way to communicate our feelings to others and seek comfort and support.

2. Is crying a sign of weakness?

No, crying is not a sign of weakness. In fact, crying is a normal and healthy response to a range of emotions, including sadness. It takes strength to allow ourselves to fully experience and express our emotions.

3. Can crying make us feel better?

Yes, crying can actually have a cathartic effect and help us feel better. Crying can release stress hormones and endorphins, which can improve our mood and provide a sense of relief.

4. Why do some people cry more easily than others?

There are a variety of factors that can influence how easily someone cries, including genetics, upbringing, and personality. Some people may have a higher sensitivity to emotions, making them more prone to crying.

5. Can crying have any physical benefits?

Yes, crying has been shown to have some physical benefits, such as reducing stress and tension, releasing toxins from the body, and improving mood and overall well-being. However, it is important to note that excessive crying can also be a sign of underlying mental health issues and should be addressed with a professional if it becomes problematic.