Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do people cry when they are sad

1. Sep 4, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Why do people cry when they are sad, happy even when watching a film ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2005 #2

DM

Are you trying to segragate people that believe in "spiritual emotions" from those that believe in "biological" or "scientific emotions"?

4. Sep 4, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

No it is just, that AFIK only humans cry, i know animals do not have emotions
    but why do they not cry when hurt, i mean cry tears.

5. Sep 4, 2005 #4
    Dogs have emotions. And they do cry when they are hurt, both physically and emotionally. If they had tear ducks (sp) then I am sure that you would see tears flowing from their eyes too.

Elephants will actually have a kind of ceremony and morn the death of another elephant. That is emotion and I am quite sure that they feel things rather deeply. In fact, you can tell when an animal is happy, sad, angry.....those are all emotions.

6. Sep 4, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, but very few animals bother to watch a film (just see how uninterested Benji is).
    Thus, there's no wonder they don't cry then.

7. Sep 4, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Thats true Townsend, i remember a film on elephants that showed one trying to
    make a another sick one stand.

8. Sep 4, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Benji loves it when other dogs are on tv.

9. Sep 4, 2005 #8
    Most animals don't have tear glands (do any?)

10. Sep 4, 2005 #9
    I think they all have tear glands so to speak. I mean, they need something to keep their eyes wet...I think what is lacking is the tear ducks.

I cannot say for sure....does anyone know for sure?

11. Sep 4, 2005 #10
    Crying and laughing are ways of releasing one:s emotion

because they are callled "people".

12. Sep 4, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

13. Sep 4, 2005 #12
  14. Sep 4, 2005 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm going to presume that your question is more about the physiological mechanism of crying and its benefits.

Chemicals produced under emotional stress end of in our lympth system and in our tears. The act of crying helps flush these chemicals from the body.

15. Sep 4, 2005 #14
    Seriously? So there is some actual benefit to crying? Awesome...

16. Sep 4, 2005 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My little dog (aka fruit bat) cries when the cats won't let him drill holes into the sides of their heads. It's really sad, he gets these real wet patches under his eyes.

17. Sep 4, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

My dog fake-cries when he doesn't get his way. Most of the time, he doesn't produce tears, but that little face (and he now it) gets him exactly what he wants :grumpy:

18. Jul 19, 2007 #17
    I was just thinking about why do people cry when they are sad, happy or from some other emotion when I discovered this forum. I was thinking, there has to be a reason people are able to express their emotions though involuntary reactions such as crying. I would think that your brain would release some type of horomone or chemical in response to your emotions. I will do lots of research on this because it is a very good question. I know of people that use drugs, such as ecstacy, to release a 'happiness' chemical in their brain. If their is such a chemical, there must be an opposing one, right? I don't know anything about this. It is just a thought.

19. Jul 20, 2007 #18

wolram

Gold Member

If benji wants any thing he will park him self in front of you and stare, if you ignore him he will put his front paws on your lap and lick you until you give in.

20. Jul 20, 2007 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Good luck with your research :smile:

21. Jul 20, 2007 #20
    Thank you :D

This site was able to explain to me exactly why I am always feeling the way I do. It seems that I was likely one of the people to inherit the 'low stress tolerance' gene. That is not a good thing, but learning about it makes me feel better. Knowing what is wrong with you is the first step to fixing it.

www.teachhealth.com/chemmess.html

Another site answered the original question "why do we cry?" I suppose I was wrong about the brain actually releasing a chemical forcing tears.

"When emotions overtake us, the brain stimulates the tear glands and triggers crying."

"Scientists have discovered that emotional tears contain higher levels of manganese and the hormone prolactin, which are directly related to feelings of depression. Many believe that the body in times of emotional stress, depends on the tears produced by the lacrimal gland to carry away excess chemicals and hormones that contribute to anxiety and depression."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?