Why do people drink?

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date
Actually, I've heard that people who drink occasionally in moderation tend to live longer than those who are alcohol free. I suppose if that's the case, it's probably more of a mental effect.

chiro
Science Advisor
While I do not drink myself, I keep hearing the argument that drinking makes you healthier!! Sounds wierd to me....
That is what the tobacco companies used to say as well....

chiro
Science Advisor
With regards to alcohol I am one of those people who just "don't get it". To me alcohol looks like ****, smells like ****, and tastes like ****. That's it in a nutshell.

Having said that I feel that in some ways I do understand the "samplers" who like to try different alcoholic things.

It's no different in my view to someone who goes to different restaurants, or tries every hamburger joint, or some other kind of similar hobby. Humans have a natural adventurous component in them, and you don't have to be Indiana Jones to be an adventurous soul.

DoggerDan
With regards to alcohol I am one of those people who just "don't get it". To me alcohol looks like ****, smells like ****, and tastes like ****. That's it in a nutshell.
Depends on why people drink. Those who chase after the hard stuff are usually trying to get numb.

Having said that I feel that in some ways I do understand the "samplers" who like to try different alcoholic things.
While those who like the taste of a good beer or wine aren't going for stuff that's 30% alcohol. They're fine with something that's between 3% and 12%.

It's no different in my view to someone who goes to different restaurants, or tries every hamburger joint, or some other kind of similar hobby. Humans have a natural adventurous component in them, and you don't have to be Indiana Jones to be an adventurous soul.
Good point. I like Indian cooking, but just the mild stuff. Still, some Indian restaurant dishes are so hot one gets a good sinus cleaning when the next table orders off the hotter side of the menu.

A friend of mine invited me out for a beer last night after a meeting. We sat outside and enjoyed the cool evening and the very flavorful porter!

I do not drink for the euphoric effect, nor do I "chill out with three or four beers." One beer every once in a while is more than enough. I do, however, enjoy a small glass of wine with my dinner.

Speaking of which, it's 6:30 and I'm hungry! Off to the kitchen...

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
People probably drink because of college. They drink in college because they don't want to think about the fact that they have so little time before being expected to become a responsible adult. They drink after college because they didn't think much about their major and didn't realize how much they'd dislike the career they wound up in.

Maybe.

But it is true that the more education a person has, the more likely they are to drink. And being white non-hispanic and having a job makes them more likely to drink.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/Resources/DatabaseResources/QuickFacts/AlcoholConsumption/Pages/dkpat2.aspx [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: