Why Do People Drink? Exploring the Reasons

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of drinking alcohol, with some individuals enjoying it while others do not. Some reasons for drinking include liking the taste, socializing, and getting drunk. However, some also acknowledge the negative consequences of excessive drinking. The conversation ends with a reference to a quote from Antoine de Saint-Exupery's book "The Little Prince" about a tippler who drinks to forget his shame.
Because beer tastes great and being drunk is fun!

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
If you tattooed your address and phone number on the bottom of your foot, people finding you on the street could help you get home.

I just don't know why more people don't do this!

oh come on! this would only work if you never move house! and didnt wear shoes...

Astronuc said:
Best not to get drunk, not even with people one knows. Losing control of oneself puts the burden on someone else. In my earliest years of university, I used to watch out for a friend who occasionally lost it. I'd keep him (or others) from harming himself (him), or someone else. He nearly killed himself - he rolled his car between two trees. That was on a tree lined campus road. Fortunately, there were no pedestrians in his way. And he got arrested a couple of times, once for threatening an ex-girlfriend. And I've seen worse. No - it's not fun or funny to lose control.

That said, I enjoy a beer or two in the evening or late afternoon, usually with a snack or meal. I also enjoy a Scotch whisky, or a glass of wine.

I never like losing control.

Yeah, it depends on the person and how they behave when drunk. If someone does things they would regret or harms others when they're drunk, then they shouldn't drink.
I never do anything like that! and I don't ever lose it so I'm lying in a street (BOBG!). Like the most I'd do is sing loudly with my friends... and that's fun for everyone!

Its interesting how many people dislike losing control. Its so interesting! how people think so differently about this! some people never lose control, some like losing control!

russ_watters said:
I totally disagree: I love spicy salsa and there is no way that the fact that it isn't pretty the day after will stop me from eating it.
Russ,

If you like spicy salsa, you should PM me. Once you have tried salsa kicked up with ghost pepper you will never be the same again, I promise, check out the discussion in the food thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124615&page=204".

Rhody... :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
ThomasT said:
I agree that even a minimal amount of drinking tends to make the drinker less capable wrt just about everything.

After several pints my ability to play both darts and pool increases.

There is only one answer to this question - graduate school made me do it.

I kid, I kid. I hail from the grand land of Wisconsin and drinking is sort of a state past-time there. The tavern culture likely comes from the strong Germanic influence on the regional culture. In Germany, you will often see grandparents at the Beirgarten until 11 pm on a weeknight. So, it is sort of a cultural thing for me also. For any holiday, we usually have a big family party with great food, beer, dancing, and games. It is, in some ways, an integral part of celebrating for me.

I also enjoy certain beers, a few wines, and quality whiskey. Someone previously talked about the nuances of the same type of beer from different places. I think food, wine, and beer can tell you a lot about a culture and it is a very interesting way to explore other cultures.

But I have 2 kids (ages 2 and 4) and I rarely get to enjoy a beer much anymore. Mainly, I am just too damn tired and if I have a beer I will fall asleep before I finish something I need to accomplish. But on other days, I say screw the work, and have a beer because sometimes you just need a break.

Mépris said:
Yes, I am referring to alcoholic drinks. Why? Why do you?

I love beer but a few times, I have had too much of it in a single night. And it wasn't pretty the day after. It never stopped me before. I'm pretty certain that if I were to have had *too much* chocolate eclairs, I really wouldn't have tried it again, though. Conclusion? Maybe I just like to get stupid for a few hours...

You?

I have no idea why people drink. Most of my closest relatives (including my parents and siblings) do not consume alcoholic drinks. In fact, the idea of alcohol being part of a lifestyle is quite alien to me. I personally haven't tasted any alcoholic beverages and I don't plan to try it anytime in the future as well.

I usually drink because I'm thirsty.

Zryn said:
I drink because if I don't, my friends will make fun of me and call me names.

Not saying it's the reason, but when I was younger I went to a party and since I had a test in the next few days I choose not to drink. Much to my surprise, since I thought it was just something adults said to keep you from drinking("Son, you just drink because your friends drink, not because you like it, if they jumped over a cliff would you do the same?"), everybody was making fun of me, saying how stupid that was, and blablabla
Funny enough I was actually the one not doing things that deserved to be laughed on.

It's also interesting why do people do this. I mean, I'm not saying they cannot drink, I just say I will not drink and everybody gets mad.On the topic, I rarely drink, the reason people do is because it makes their life less boring. You know, these guys that spend all week thinking about the weekend and how they will drink so much and do this and that.
It's a pretty stupid thing to do really. It seems some people just can't have fun without drinking a lot.
And I mean heavy drinkers, not someone who drinks a beer because he enjoys the taste.

Zryn said:
I drink because if I don't, my friends will make fun of me and call me names.
They don't sound like friends, just people one hangs out with. Find another set of real friends.

I just like GOOD beers and ciders now. Even wine has too much alcohol and makes me have trouble sleeping (something I'm already prone to). But I limit myself to 2-3, just a few times a week.

I think my issue is that (like mege hints at) I HATE the taste of most water (the exception was when I lived in Boulder and had the town's fresh "glacier-water" on tap). And beers or cider get saved for me (and lucky for E and I we our own gallon of "Whole" and juice ... high fat and sugars make these mostly off limits to the others in the family... but I like to make sure she always is well-stocked first).

In reality it's irrational behaviour. But, it seems normal because it's accepted socially; in moderation that is. Even so, I don't drink much.

While I do not drink myself, I keep hearing the argument that drinking makes you healthier! Sounds weird to me...

I don't mind social drinkers (one or two drinks in an evening), but I have a strong aversion to drunks. In my Navy days, I stood Shore Patrol on about two-hundred occasions. I have lost track of how many sick drunks threw up on my uniform and how many combative drunks I had to put on the floor.

On the other hand, during my Foreign Service days, I would make a tall Scotch and soda last all evening. I had to, or I couldn't do my job. That job was to take note of what every foreign national with whom I had a substantive conversation said and did during the course of the evening. This information would be written up in a report and filed before I went to bed that night. Having more than a single drink made that job immensely more difficult.

Useful nucleus said:
While I do not drink myself, I keep hearing the argument that drinking makes you healthier! Sounds weird to me...

maybe. on a couple of measures like cardiovascular or bone health. but i don't think it's conclusive. generally, you see the positive results with beer and wine, not so much with spirits. so some of it may be about chemicals other than the ethanol.

Actually, I've heard that people who drink occasionally in moderation tend to live longer than those who are alcohol free. I suppose if that's the case, it's probably more of a mental effect.

Useful nucleus said:

That is what the tobacco companies used to say as well...

With regards to alcohol I am one of those people who just "don't get it". To me alcohol looks like ****, smells like ****, and tastes like ****. That's it in a nutshell.

Having said that I feel that in some ways I do understand the "samplers" who like to try different alcoholic things.

It's no different in my view to someone who goes to different restaurants, or tries every hamburger joint, or some other kind of similar hobby. Humans have a natural adventurous component in them, and you don't have to be Indiana Jones to be an adventurous soul.

chiro said:
With regards to alcohol I am one of those people who just "don't get it". To me alcohol looks like ****, smells like ****, and tastes like ****. That's it in a nutshell.

Depends on why people drink. Those who chase after the hard stuff are usually trying to get numb.

Having said that I feel that in some ways I do understand the "samplers" who like to try different alcoholic things.

While those who like the taste of a good beer or wine aren't going for stuff that's 30% alcohol. They're fine with something that's between 3% and 12%.

It's no different in my view to someone who goes to different restaurants, or tries every hamburger joint, or some other kind of similar hobby. Humans have a natural adventurous component in them, and you don't have to be Indiana Jones to be an adventurous soul.

Good point. I like Indian cooking, but just the mild stuff. Still, some Indian restaurant dishes are so hot one gets a good sinus cleaning when the next table orders off the hotter side of the menu.

A friend of mine invited me out for a beer last night after a meeting. We sat outside and enjoyed the cool evening and the very flavorful porter!

I do not drink for the euphoric effect, nor do I "chill out with three or four beers." One beer every once in a while is more than enough. I do, however, enjoy a small glass of wine with my dinner.

Speaking of which, it's 6:30 and I'm hungry! Off to the kitchen...

People probably drink because of college. They drink in college because they don't want to think about the fact that they have so little time before being expected to become a responsible adult. They drink after college because they didn't think much about their major and didn't realize how much they'd dislike the career they wound up in.

Maybe.

But it is true that the more education a person has, the more likely they are to drink. And being white non-hispanic and having a job makes them more likely to drink.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/Resources/DatabaseResources/QuickFacts/AlcoholConsumption/Pages/dkpat2.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: